Okay I'm sold! Going to make a 26" Performer

Very nice looking, don't really have the tools or know how to get something like this done. In total how much would you estimate you spent on this project? Also how does the immediate surrounding wood do with the high heat emmited by the kettle?

Wow, I don't know how I missed this but that is very nicely done my friend.
Two big thumbs up!:cool:

Tim

That is REALLY beautiful! Love the stain color
I have used some stuff from General Finishes and I find their products AWESOME when applied properly
If you've never used their stuff and do any sort of re-finishing - try it and you probably won't go back to anything else

A 26-inch Performer is what I really would have wanted, but I did not have the time to put one together.
(If I were to do it, it wouldn't be as pretty as yours - I probably would have modified a Stainless Kitchen Cart or Ranch Kettle frames...)

The Japanese Back Saw is the dead-giveaway that we're dealing with a SERIOUS woodworker here!...

Flombardo, thanks for the comments. I apologize for not responding. I've been on vacation and recovering from knee surgery. Haven't been on this site for quite a long time.

The cost of the grill project was approximately 700 to 800.00 dollars. I spent more since I was tooling up to make it work. I didn't figure the cost of the tools or wood I bought but decided was not going use because I didn't like it for one reason or another. The grill is holding up just fine. The wood hasn't suffered any damage whatsoever. Still looks like the day I finished it. Still have to build the bottom shelf for it. I was more worried about the winter weather and moisture. So far that has been fine.

Thanks again for the nice comments. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Scott, I was almost going to keep all wood natural but the maple bat blanks looked too white. I started staining the maple with General Finishes Warm Cherry. As I was to the end of the project my patience was wearing thin and wound up using it on the Mahogany also. I really wanted the mahogany to be natural. That wood was beautiful. After a coat of stain I used General Finishes Outdoor Oil to seal and protect it. For being my first ever woodworking project I was pleased with the final results. I've actually started do more woodworking since doing this project and think I've found a new hobby.

Thanks for asking and if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks Ron, that Japanese saw was a new purchase. As mentioned in another post this was my first woodworking project. Now I'm hooked and have made another project for my grandson and working on a table for my daughter. I agree, General Finishes is nice to work with. I'm a regular at the Rockler Woodworking Store near me.

Woodworking is different for me. I've been a the Automotive Service and Repair Industry my entire life so using my hands come easy. Just learning how to do thing with wood I think anybody could do this. With Youtube you can find any video and learn how to do anything. If you have any other questions just let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much Tim. Coming from a Hall of Fame guy that means a lot!!

Nice.

Next I envision a hole in the bottom with an attachment to a propane tank for starting up the charcoal.

Very, And I mean very well done a true craftsman. I love that size of a grill now just need to drill it for gas Assist and mount the regulator and igniter and it is good to go.

W0w!

Cliff, This looks AWESOME!
Love your attention to the fine detail on the tenons and mortise

DSC03038_zpsolvpmdzc.jpg

This is Truly Spectacular!

DSC03117_zpsrd1qyy3q.jpg

Russell, Kevin, and Tim, thanks for the comments. Yes, a gas starter was in the original plan. Money ran out so this spring I will finish off what I started to do. I found some nice powder coated hog wire for the bottom shelf. Then check on parts to make it gas assist. May even have a temperature probe setup to monitor grill and food temps. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome. Thanks for all the feedback!!

Cliff love the temp probe idea to me just a slot for my wires would be great, as it already has a dome thermometer.
I am glad to hear it is handling the weather so well. Do you have a cover for it yet? You make me think of the old Yankee Work shop you are becoming a Norm of Weber's.

You know Kevin I don't have a cover yet. I have mentioned it to my wife. I'll have to talk her into sewing me up one. When not is use it does get pretty dusty. I've noticed when doing indirect cooks the temperature gauge on the lid is not in the best location. I will place charcoal on one side and the vent opposite the charcoal so the heat and smoke can drift past the meat before leaving the upper vent. The problem with that is the temperature gauge sets directly above the charcoal. I know the temperature gauge is reading much higher than actual temperature where the meat is.

Was thinking of something reasonably priced like the Maverick 733. I believe that's the model. I can monitor grill and meat temp plus have a remote so I can be inside if need be. No, I'm not good enough to be Norm for sure. You will find mistakes on the project if you look close. It's like the so-so paint job. From 30 feet away it looks real good. Up close you see the flaws.

Cliff I use Maverick products as long as you handel the probes gently and do not submerge them in water it is a great tool.

Not sure how I missed this thread also but have to join the chorus = what an absolutely gorgeous build. Really incredible craftsmanship and simply beautiful. I am in awe. ;)

Kevin thanks for the input about Maverick probes. I'll most likely get one this coming season. For what it does the price is very reasonable.

DGordon, thanks for the comments. I hope to do more work this coming year to finish it off. I'll post pics of the final product when I'm done.

Cliff, I just came across this thread and absolutely love what you've done with this design. I think using the handrails was brilliant, not only because you got a good price on them at the ReStore, but it makes the cart look so sharp. I was wondering if you ever got the bottom shelf on or had a cover made. I'm also wondering how the finish on the butcher block has turned out and if the edges closest to the grill have held up well.

Cliff,

Looking really good! Let me know if you need a hand with your project...ok? Always happy to help lend a hand if needed.

Best,

Mike

Last edited:

Back