Ok to smoke chicken and salmon at the same time?

BCofer

Going to use my WSM for the third time this weekend. I was so happy with the smoked chicken I did that I'm going to try that again. Instead of just 2, I'm going to do 4. My wife has been after me to try salmon, so I was thinking with the 22" I would have enough room to do all 4 chickens on one level, and the salmon on another. I was going to do the salmon on cedar planks. My concern is will the cedar planks affect the results of the chicken in any way? Bad idea to try to do both at the same time?

Thanks!

I was thinking with the 22" I would have enough room to do all 4 chickens on one level, and the salmon on another. I was going to do the salmon on cedar planks. My concern is will the cedar planks affect the results of the chicken in any way? Bad idea to try to do both at the same time? Thanks!
If it were me, I'd do the chicken first and when they're done, pull them off and let them rest. While they're resting, put the salmon on and when the salmon is done, serve the chicken and salmon up. Don't forget my plate :p

Thanks Chuck, that's probably what I will do. I imagine if I load it full of charcoal, I'll have enough burn time to do all 4 chickens and then the salmon separately. Since I'm on the Right Coast and you're on the Left Coast, you'll have to settle for a picture of your plate!

Yep, what Chuck said. Chicken drippings on salmon might have a slightly weird taste and the salmon would be well done (overcooked to mush) before the chicken was cooked to safe temps.

Tim

I do Salmon on my Performers on a plank. I dump one lit chimney of charcoal, spread evenly over the charcoal grate. After the salmon goes on the plank it only takes 10-20 minutes (depending on thickness). If you shut the grill down right after you finish the salmon you can save the briqs for another cook or two.

Or, you could also do it on a plank on a gas grill if that's what you have...

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back