OK, I've been converted. I'm a lump guy now

Alan,

if my sister doesn't let me down, she is going to pick up 3 40# bags at lazzari's HQ. I got one for you, so if you want it (assuming she gets it) then let me know and we can meet to swap.

john

Originally posted by Chuck R:
I emptied my ashes from my last cook today, and noticed that I had a handful of stones in the ash. It looked like clay, anywhere from thumb size to marble size. My last cook was the bottom of a bag of Barbecues Galore Hardwood Lump (Lazzari). Today’s cook will be with Whole Food’s 365 Hardwood Lump (Cowboy). From the top of this bag, I didn’t notice anything that looked like anything other than hardwood charcoal.
My experience is the opposite, I find odd stuff in Cowboy, but mostly in the way of cabinet cutoffs and such, haven't got any clay or anything in BBQG yet. On the naked whiz they pulled out an aluminum can from Cowboy, if I recall correctly.

I like the quality of the oak hardwood, if I have a choice. Whole Foods isn't bad, I have a bag as backup, but use the BBQG whenever I can lately.

John,

I'll definitely take a bag, let me know when she gets it and we can meat somewhere. I live on the west side of San Jose over by Cupertino. We can meet over in your neck of the woods if you like, wherever that might be, or somewhere in between, I'm easy.

I've always used Kingsford for grilling. I bought my 1st WSM from Bryan and was told nothing but lump charcoal was to be used for grilling and smoking food. I bought a bag and did my first cook and Bryan was right on the money with the way it burned and with no harsh chemical smell.

I've seen the light and will NEVER use Kingsford again!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Alan,

I have your bag of lump. call me at my office, 408-283-3067

it was a little bit like x-mas today for me. my sister picked up my 3 40# bags of the Lazzari lump for me and dropped it off at my office(she lives 10 minutes away) at a price that is so cheap I won't mention it unless you guys really want to know. I also picked up 70 pounds of cherry wood from a guy in gilroy for $30 (best deal i could find). so clearly a smoke was called for. But low and behold some wine i have been waiting 8 months for (Quilceda Creak for any of you wines buffs) shows up as well. 4 cases, 100 pounds. needless to say my car was riding low on the way home.

Alan, the lump seems to be better than the BBQ galore stuff. Granted it was the top of the bag, but at the price I paid, I'm going back to get as much as I can fit in my little outside shed.

today I'm a happy guy. If the sharks win, it will be a perfect night (sigh)

happy smokin!!!

John,

I'll give you a ring. I almost missed this, have been busy the past couple days...
icon_rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I left a vmail for you at the office.

John, I actually do want to know how cheap you got it (why later).
I had used some cowboy lump when I first got my kettle and was unimpressed with the results. I now know why from reading this board. I have used strictly K for the last 2 years in my WSM. I think that was good for me to get consistent results before changing anything up.

Now for why the price question. I bought a bag of BGE lump the other day to use in the performer. This is the ONLY brand of non-Cowboy I can find in my area (BBQ Galore is done). I paid $20 for 20lbs. Wondering if that is average or high

Jeff,

BBQ Galore charges $22 for a 20# bag of BGE lump, if that helps you compare. BBQ Galore hardwood lump is $15 for a 20#.

For Cowboy we pay about $6 for a 10# bag.

I just spoke to John and they had quoted him $18 for a 40# bag, but when his sister picked it up they seem to have charged her less...even still, at $18 for a 40# bag, that's a great price.

I'm getting a bag of it from John tomorrow. Will try it on a couple shoulders.

i've found all sorts of weird stuff in my lump from BBQG, mostly rocks. can anyone recommend a place besides BBQG to buy lump in the southern california area?

also, i am typing this on the 3rd imac i have bought
icon_wink.gif

John,
Thanks for the info on Lazzari. My smoke today will use the last of my Whole Foods 365 (Cowboy) so I think I will drive to Brisbane and pick up 120#. I found what looks to be charred plywood in my 365. Don’t know if I want to be eating plywood glue, especially since a lot of ply is coming from China and their sandwiched wood often smells and is not hardwood.

Alan,
Let me know how it looks when you get into the bag.

Originally posted by Jeff Smith:
John, I actually do want to know how cheap you got it (why later).
I had used some cowboy lump when I first got my kettle and was unimpressed with the results. I now know why from reading this board. I have used strictly K for the last 2 years in my WSM. I think that was good for me to get consistent results before changing anything up.

Now for why the price question. I bought a bag of BGE lump the other day to use in the performer. This is the ONLY brand of non-Cowboy I can find in my area (BBQ Galore is done). I paid $20 for 20lbs. Wondering if that is average or high

Around me $20 for 20lb seems to be the rate at retail. In most any store where I find lump. Except if it's Cowboy or a derivative. Best thing to do is find a wholesaler. Might seem obvious, I.E. most people talk about big box stores, etc. But look for farm stores, grain supply sotres, "rollermill" supplies, etc. You may be surprised that they carry lump of some type. Lump charcoal is used in many different ways/purposes than Q.

They typically have wholesale pricing. I found a roller mill that wholesales Humphrey Lump at half the price found in the retail stores, even a bulk store that discounts virtually everything in the store, but not the lump.

John,
Thanks for the info on Lazzari. My smoke today will use the last of my Whole Foods 365 (Cowboy) so I think I will drive to Brisbane and pick up 120#. I found what looks to be charred plywood in my 365. Don’t know if I want to be eating plywood glue, especially since a lot of ply is coming from China and their sandwiched wood often smells and is not hardwood.
Hear, hear! I haven't found any ply in my 365, I did use it for quite a while. Some pieces seemed like they could have been softwood, but that's hard to tell after it's charcoal. I am a skeptic of products coming out of china these days, although we can't avoid all of it, the junk is everywhere.
Alan,
Let me know how it looks when you get into the bag.
John did use some of a bag, he mentioned when I spoke to him and he thought it was the same stuff as the BBQ Galore hardwood lump.

They had originally quoted John $18 for a 40# bag, which in itself is cheap, about half price of what BBQ Galore charges at $15 for 20#.

Looks like it's gonna rain today...
icon_frown.gif

Wicked Good sells 22 lbs of lump for $13.50. Maybe take a look at their site to see if the freight makes it too expensive

Me and John met up today over in Campbell, and I got this bag of Lazzari hardwood lump:

lazzari-bag.jpg

The weather is foul out west, but I have my wsm ready to go with a wimpy mesh umbrella.

Rain or shine we 'que on the gold coast!
icon_wink.gif

Nothing like sailboat racing in SF Bay during a storm..."starboard!" This outta be mild in comparison.

This is what the lump looks like, I would say it's the same stuff from south of the border which BBQ Galore sells, the oak.

lazzari-lump.jpg

And for comparison, this was the BBQ Galore hardwood lump:

bbqg-lump.jpg

Thanks John! Nice meeting you! What a deal on that 40 pound bag! Thanks!

Tried to do Roadside Chicken on my WSM. Loaded 2 chimneys of Cowboy lump, and with vents wide open and door propped, I couldnt get over 250*.
I guess I need to get used to this stuff.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
Tried to do Roadside Chicken on my WSM. Loaded 2 chimneys of Cowboy lump, and with vents wide open and door propped, I couldnt get over 250*.
I guess I need to get used to this stuff.
Wow, 2 chimneys seems like quite a bit. I usually use minion, but with a Stoker, but I only use about half of the small end on the chimney (i.e., turned upside down).

Are you using water in the pan? I use a clay pot, but have used water in the pan once or twice.

I use a clay pot, but I had taken it out.
The coals were red hot, but when I assembled and put the chicken on, the fire died way down. Ambient temp was around 55*, no wind.

Chris,

How were the vents when you reassembled? I would think about 1/3rd open on the bottom vents would be enough, and leave the top full open to start.

But you say you have them wide open, is that for all 3 vents on the bottom of the WSM and the top vent? And you had the door propped open?

Is there any water in the bottom of the WSM? I know I had a bunch in mine after sitting in the rain...
icon_frown.gif

No clay pot would only mean it would get hotter, but something else is wrong.

If I'm cooking RS Chicken in the WSM the pan is out. Simply using it as a grill with added height for the food grate than I can get in the Performer.

Back