OK, I've been converted. I'm a lump guy now

Originally posted by Burtess:

I like Maple Leaf and Royal Oak lump. I have seen other stuff around but I prefer not to use lump from South America since they rape the rainforests for it.

Burt
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Burt, look for Natures own by Basques Hardwood charcoal. This is excellent stuff. If you use enough, you can get it in Strathroy for $10.90 a bag, or can get it delivered in 36 bag skid lots.
E-mail Address(es):
jeanclaudeb@fhuard.com can get you more information

Originally posted by Alan D:
So John,

Tell me something. Isn't the texture and quality of the hardwood lump from BBQ Galore quite different than the mesquite lump? I'm not sure if you have tried the Lazzari mesquite lump, but it is completely different.

The hardwood (looks like oak to me) lump will break up easily in your hands, and it just seems like better quality.

Lump is where the WSM is at, IMO.

I like your analogy with the Mac, and I moved my wife off Windows a few years ago. I do most of my work on UNIX, but use a MacBook Pro also, so can relate. I detest Windows for various reasons. I don't detest briquettes as much as Windows though, and would use them willingly before running Windows.
icon_wink.gif

Lately it's a PITA over at the Campbell BBQG store, they only have the 10# bags of hardwood lump, but they insist that the 20# bags will be in stock soon.

If you do get some from Lazzari up in Brisbane, please confirm whether it is the same as the BBQG lump or not, would like to know for sure.

Alan,

it seems to be great quality. i have't used the mesquite in 10+ years so i can't remember anything about it.

when i was at the campbell store 2 weeks ago they had like 30 20# bags in the store, so clearly there was a run on it. The guy at Lazzari's swares that it's the same thing. One of these days I'll head up to get a few bags. I'll pick one up for ya if you want.

with the Mac thing, i was raised on apples as my dad worked there from the early 80's until 93. i went PC for two reasons. 1) horrible hardware. went through 4 machines in 6 years. luckily they were free. 2) no Pro tools on the mac at that time. in 97 all the audio production software was PC. got used to it at this point. My dad still has never forgiven me. he still has one of the mac prototypes in his garage.

John,

If you go up to the city, I would be in for a bag to compare, most certainly, let me know if so.

For me, the mesquite lump is much more difficult to break up, and is almost impossible to break up in your hands. The hardwood lump breaks up nicely, and it seems the consistency is much better overall. I feel that way for the heat also, it seems that hardwood lump disperses it more evenly, but that could be in my mind...
icon_wink.gif

I go back a ways on both MAC and PC, and use UNIX for most of my work these days. I still like the Mac for it's desktop environment, and it's UNIX under the covers now as well.

I didn't 'que anything up this weekend, at at Outback on evening...
icon_frown.gif
(although the ribeye was pretty good
icon_biggrin.gif
)

I cooked a couple ribeyes from Costco tonight, and for the second time, had to use a larger quantity of lump than I expected to get the fire hot.
Also, the wife and I noticed much more smokey flavor in the meat - kinda disappointing. I'd rather control the smoke taste with hardwood chunks.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
I cooked a couple ribeyes from Costco tonight, and for the second time, had to use a larger quantity of lump than I expected to get the fire hot.
Also, the wife and I noticed much more smokey flavor in the meat - kinda disappointing. I'd rather control the smoke taste with hardwood chunks.
I use lump, although not the flavored varieties, and I find that after I dump the lump into the grill, it works better if I leave the lid off for a short while until most of the lump gets red hot. Then I clean the hot grate and I'm ready to grill. JMO.

Congrats. I beleive the WSM was made for lump charcoal. Skip the K next time. Lump lights very quickly and if you're using the Minion method just use a 1/8-1/4 chimney of lit coals. When I get up for a smoke I add the lit coals, assemble, brush the grill and add the meat. the wsm usually comes up to temp quickly and I don't have to worry about spikes while opening the lid to add the meat. The coals are all natural so you don't have to worry about chemicals or the frito stink some briquettes give off during the beginning stages of the smoke. I use Fire King from Struemphs Charcoal Works based in the Ozark foot hills right here in Missouri. Yee-ha!!!!

Originally posted by Branon S.:
Congrats. I beleive the WSM was made for lump charcoal. Skip the K next time. Lump lights very quickly and if you're using the Minion method just use a 1/8-1/4 chimney of lit coals.
Same with me, I just turn the chimney upside down and put lump in the bottom. Works fine, and gives me just a bit of hot coals which works perfect for me.

Originally posted by Dave K:

Burt, look for Natures own by Basques Hardwood charcoal. This is excellent stuff. If you use enough, you can get it in Strathroy for $10.90 a bag, or can get it delivered in 36 bag skid lots.
E-mail Address(es):

Is this $10.90 price a wholesale thing?? Because I have seen(and paid) a LOT more retail for Basques. No question I love the quality and it's all I would prefer to use. Almost worth a roadie to Strathroy to pick up a dozen or so bags.

Originally posted by Scooter B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:

E-mail Address(es):

Is this $10.90 price a wholesale thing?? Because I have seen(and paid) a LOT more retail for Basques. No question I love the quality and it's all I would prefer to use. Almost worth a roadie to Strathroy to pick up a dozen or so bags. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A review:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag9.htm

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:

Not typical for lump IMHO. Let the lump get red or at least 2 thirds of it before dumping on the grill. Then let it set for about 10 min. That should resolve that issue.

A month ago, I stumbled upon a website, Fuel and Flame in Woonsocket, RI. which is 30 miles from my house. I called for some info, but was told that the freight cost was about as much as the charcoal. The woman suggested a drive to their store and said they always have an inventory, winter too. A couple of days later I drove down there and got 10 18 lb bags of this lump, which is mainly made from sugar maple, for about $10.50 per bag. I really like the stuff. All the pieces so far are just the right size, no dust yet. I second your recommendation.
http://fuelandflame.com/Charcoal.htm

I have been on and off the lump bandwagon and I have finally settled on lump. I use Royal Oak exclusively now. I had problems getting a smokering using lump previously, but I have licked that little problem now. Its all in the process. I am lovin' me some lump!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tony

I just bought 2 bags of Royal Oak lump (USA). I'm anxious to give it a try with a pork butt this weekend.
As for ShawnG - stay with briquets, my friend. If you are happy with a PC, you'll be happy with anything
icon_wink.gif
just kidding
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
I had problems getting a smokering using lump previously, but I have licked that little problem now. Its all in the process.
Tony

How did you solve this? Was it with grilling or slow/low bbq?

I'm having trouble finding lump over here in California. My local BBQ galore closed. Home Depot carries Cowboy, and my Walmart didnt have Royal Oak like I was told...

Originally posted by Scooter B:

Is this $10.90 price a wholesale thing?? Because I have seen(and paid) a LOT more retail for Basques. No question I love the quality and it's all I would prefer to use. Almost worth a roadie to Strathroy to pick up a dozen or so bags.

This price is available to anyone. Only thing is you have to get 36 bags at a time. Delivery can also be arranged. Contact the email posted above and he can give you the prices to get it delivered. P.S. Where are you located?

I'm in Guelph and I can buy Basque's at TA appliance in Kitchener (only a 20 min drive).

I really REALLY enjoy their product and I try to use it as much as possible. Fortunately RO is available just about everywhere here so it's easy to get a good back up. Sadly an order of 30+ bags would last me FAAAAAAR too long... either that or I have to convince my wife to allow me Q full time! haha

I also like to use some natural Briq's as my starters which they also carry at TA Appliance. They have a pretty nice BBQ section which is very handy to have so close.

Scooter, shoot me an email, I'm 15 mins south of Listowel, if your interested I could sell you some of the skid that I bought. My email is in my profile.

I emptied my ashes from my last cook today, and noticed that I had a handful of stones in the ash. It looked like clay, anywhere from thumb size to marble size. My last cook was the bottom of a bag of Barbecues Galore Hardwood Lump (Lazzari). Today’s cook will be with Whole Food’s 365 Hardwood Lump (Cowboy). From the top of this bag, I didn’t notice anything that looked like anything other than hardwood charcoal.

Originally posted by Chuck R:
I emptied my ashes from my last cook today, and noticed that I had a handful of stones in the ash. It looked like clay, anywhere from thumb size to marble size. My last cook was the bottom of a bag of Barbecues Galore Hardwood Lump (Lazzari). Today’s cook will be with Whole Food’s 365 Hardwood Lump (Cowboy). From the top of this bag, I didn’t notice anything that looked like anything other than hardwood charcoal.

I took an 18lb bag of Royal Oak with us camping this summer and pulled out a large piece of concrete, must have weighed about 3-4lbs! They move this stuff around with front end loaders so sometimes they get rocks and other wierd stuff mixed up in it...

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Back