Ok I think I have a unique question for the panel........

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.....I am scaling down my shop and will have to have it closed by March 31st. No worries there....its time for a new chapter anyway. I mean ...if I have a huge shop that is full of tools and toys I might not ever grow up. Anyway I am down to my last grill to clear my shop. It is a NG front knob Genesis not Gen II rather the old school version we know and love. So my question is this.......Can I use the valve cones and orifices from a propane gas Genesis Sidewinder manifold and install these into the NG manifold valve bodies???? Thus I would have a proper conversion to propane right???? I am assuming that all of the valve cones are the same size and I know the orifices should screw right on so what gives here?
Fingers crossed
Thanks

This is the grill that I am about to start on.......it is currently NG. I am only in this grill for $10. It has a rusty bottom shelf and it is not sexy in any way.....so it will need a lot of love. I have been using 2x6 pressure treated lumber for bottom shelf projects. It really works pretty well and will last for a heck of a long time.

Attachments

• 20240212_174931.jpg
    20240212_174931.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 12
Yep.....couldnt hurt to try....I am down to just that grill and a bunch of random parts. In my head I am telling myself the cones have to be the same size......as long as there are no other holes beyond those cones that are tuned other than the orifice it should work. I will report back hopefully tomorrow

Hold on, that doesn't necessarily mean the parts won't swap. I would still give it a shot. I mean, I would only take apart one valve and try it first.

I have pics in this thread.

I don't have any spare LP Front control valves.

Hey Dan that was a great write up. I have seen it before and thus I have never in over 250 grills restored....converted a grill. Thats why I am hesitant to convert this one as well. Especially if I am selling it to someone versus keeping it for my self. I replied over on your thread as well and here is what I wrote over there.......
Ok after reading that entire post I am a bit timid to even reply with my question. But here it goes. If you do a conversion one way or the other from LP to NG or NG to LP and lets say it is not a precise conversion. If the gas is not fully burned is it bad for our health? I am trying to say.....in my little brain I believe the valves and burners are designed to burn as close to 100% " clean " as they can possibly calculate. I would think a poorly tuned grill would put out poor emissions just like a poorly tuned car. The bad exhaust or fuel that was not burned off then ends up in our food right? Here is where this thought is generated from. I slapped a regulator on a NG grill just so I could use it to clean some nasty cast iron grates with heat. While purposely running this grill incorrectly I could clearly see black smoke coming from the high flames....they even stained the back of the cook box black. So in my mind this example is a good over exaggeration of what could be happening in a converted grill that is off just a little bit but the owner has no idea.

Unless you have some experience converting, I would only do full manifold swaps if you really need to convert a grill.

Back