OK, I just got a clay saucer!

Now, How do I use it? Does it go in the water pan? Right side up or upside down? Or, Does it just sit on the pan hangers? I never checks to see if it was that big, but I'm pretty sure it's not that big. How to foil it? Foil the saucer or the whole top of the water pan? I've read through the forums for quite a while and there is no clear answer. Also pictures would save 1000 words! I'd really like to try this next week, so instruct away fellers! I'm open to all advice!

thanks!

I foil the inside of the water pan and both sides of the saucer. The saucer sits inside the water pan which sits on the normal water pan tabs. Contour the foil to the sides and bottoms of both

Last edited:
I am a foil addict:)

I foil both sides of my water pan and both sides of the saucer to prevent any grease from getting on the saucer. To make cleanup easy I then put another piece of foil across the top of it all. That last piece is all I need to change after cooking

I wrapped the saucer when I got it and layed it in the empty water pan. I don't wrap the water pan any more and don't re-wrap the saucer each time. I figure I worked hard (LOL) to get the seasoning built inside the cooker without adding a bunch of shiny stuff every cook.

For my 18.5 bullet, I foil the water pan, then add one or both a 12" foiled clay saucer to sit down into the pan while a 14" foiled clay saucer sits perfectly in the pan's top. I have a better chance of controlling overnight temp spikes (with full ring) this way; that said, I rarely am able to keep spikes < 250 lid. (This is with the two windward vents closed and the leeward vent = 25%.) With a full ring--at its peak--it's running at 260-270 lid with those two clay saucers in there.

On L&S overnight butts and briskets, I pretty much limit myself to only doing water cooks. (This being said, I may never do another overnight brisket cook, given how well a higher heat, say 275-300, does with butcher paper. Ridiculously good. And done in 6-7 hours.)

I foiled the clay pot and sit on the hangers, no water pan. When cooking I will criss cross two pieces of foil over it to catch dripping, which makes it very easy to clean. About every 20 cook or so, I might refoil the clay pot. If not using the lower grate, I will put in an aluminum pan, also foiled to catch a bunch from reaching the clay pot. Don't have no stinking water pan:cool:...............................d

Back