Ok I give up.....I have tried every trick in the book.....I give up....how to put a shine on Genesis 300 series doors????

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all!!! It has been a while since I have checked in. I have still been tinkering away focusing mainly on 300 series Genesis which are the big money makers in my area right now.
So my big question is how the heck do you put a glossy shine on those darn doors???? They have what seems to be very soft paint on them and none of my tricks will produce a glossy shine. Well.....WD40 will shine em up for a day or two but I am looking for the pro or correct way to get the job done.

Thanks!!!

I would be worried that buffing compound would strip that paint. It isn't as hard as automotive paint. I would either try to find some donor grill doors (pretty easy in black) or I would simply repaint them with some Rustoleum 2X black semi gloss or full gloss.

If you want to give this a try...45 years ago, they had commercials showing this stuff restoring the finish on cars in the junkyard. It brought them back to life. I had a new 1976 Ranchero I used it on and it lived up to its claims. I don't know if the formula has changed over the decades (the orange bottle hasn't changed other than the black banner at the top), but this is the stuff I would try, based on my experience back then. I haven't used it since I sold the car in 1979, so YMMV.

1662021604997.png

Thanks for the replies guys. I am shocked that nobody hear has come across this issue and solved the mystery. Possibly because many of the hard core resto folks here are working on Silvers and 1000's I guess. But yeah the darn doors on the 300 series Genesis dont have a hard coating on them like the grill hood......it is a soft cheap paint that scratches easily and is very difficult if not impossible to bring it to a good glossy shine. I have tried several types of car waxes and buffing compounds. I have tried all of my cleaning sprays....steel wool.....WD40........everything.....but just cant find a winner. I never thought about painting them but I guess thats an option. I will hold out here for a little longer.....maybe there is a pro lurking in the depths that will surface with the answer.

My take on those doors is Weber does not use a high gloss finish on them. They're more like a satin finish

I wonder how well they would take paint like Bruce suggested. I will experiment if I come across a really rough set.

Ok....maybe its time to give it a shot! I was hoping for an easier way out....but painting two flat panels isnt too tricky.

I know someone on this forum has painted them before. Can't remember who for sure. Maybe Dave in KC or Jon T.

Ahhhhh Timothy you may have nailed it. Maybe hit the doors with a clear coat after prepping them........ Yes the copper color is always good.....its the darker colors that have the issue

I know someone on this forum has painted them before. Can't remember who for sure. Maybe Dave in KC or Jon T.

In this thread, Dave said he used rustoleum 2x on the doors.

Last edited:
I think sun exposure and or scrubbing the doors is what kills the finish.

I have a copper E330 where the doors are thrashed and they previous owner scrubbed the markings off the control panel.

Wow.....yes that is impressive for sure!!!! Every time I think I am " the Weber man " I am quickly humbled by you guys on this forum. There are truly some amazing craftsmen here. But painting the doors for me is just for flips...so I need quick and simple. I think clear coating is the answer.......and heck after a quick prep with denatured alcohol or whatever your pref I might be able to spray the entire door chrome included.....thus no taping. Its just clear coat.

That said if the clear coat eventually starts to chip or yellow it will be a real mess in the future :(

I've painted over chrome before and to get it to stick it needs to be sanded and primed.

I would mask the chrome.

The newest Weber Genesis doors don't have that chrome trim. Maybe lightly sand that, too, and spray paint the whole thing? It might make it look more like the new model. Along with that paint the fire box and end caps black as well (like on the new Genesis)? It wouldn't be "historically accurate," but it would look more "modern" and be easier, too.

Back