Oh no-another pan question...

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
I'm getting ready to BBQ some spareribs this weekend and I was going to use the recipe/techniques from the "BBQ Wisdom of Harry Soo" pdf. On page 10 he states "I don't use water in my pan. I just foil top and bottom". I'm assuming he means the foil lines the bottom of the water pan not draped across the top?
Also he smokes them @ 275 - without water (clay saucer etc.) is 275 easy to maintain without these?
Thanks!

He means take the wide heavy duty foil and foil the bottom of the pan and then foil the top so the whole pan is covered.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
...he smokes them @ 275 - without water (clay saucer etc.) is 275 easy to maintain without these? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How easy it is to maintain 275* depends on the wsm in queastion.

MY 18.5" wsm is about topped out at 275*, at least until nearly all the charcoal is engaged and the ribs are almost done. So you could figure that 275* in my cooker isn't necessarily a given in much less than ideal weather conditions.

Since I typically cook on both grates and would rather leave the door shut all the way, I torch the top of the ring for a faster ramp up to target temp. Also, cooking the ribs in a rib rack will improve draft through the cooker. Having tried everyway possible over the years cooking in a UDS and wsm, I'm utterly convinced that it makes perfect sense to cook ribs vertically in a vertical smoker. Now if cooking in a big 22.5" cooker like the UDS or the big WSM, 275* would, without a doubt, be easier to maintain and I might just lay three slabs of st. louis spares flat on the top grate. I'm just saying that the idea of ribs turning out better layed flat than in racks or rolled is unfounded in my experience.

By the way, Harry Soo doesn't have any problem cooking 275* or much higher since his ATC simply fans the coals until the desired cooking temp is achieved.

Thanks for the replies all...Dave, that idea about cooking the slabs vertically makes a lot of sense!...Just curious if foiling straight across the top of the pan with a little depression to catch drippings instead of lining the bottom (inside) would use less foil and create an air vacuum? Does anyone think there is any benefit to this?

Don't know about a vacuum, but yes, the benefit to foiling the top of the pan as you described is that the drippings shouldn't burn and smoke.

I'm new to the WSM but heres what I did for my first 2 cooks. Ribs...I foiled the outside of the pan and filled it up with water. For the chicken I foiled the outside and covered the top with foil with a slight indention and NO water. Both ways worked great and cleaned up easy. I wanted a little higher temperature with the chicken. Good luck.

Wow. I never even thought of foiling the bottom of the pan. Is that really necessary? Does the bottom of the pan need to be cleaned as well?
Thanks,
Paul B

Good queastion, Paul, and the simple answer is NO.

It's just another part of the smoker so why would you need to? Folks on this board just tend to be anal, myself included, but I don't try to remove all the smoke seasoning from the smoker walls and I'm not worried about the bottom of the pan, either.

Joel - that's what I was going to do on the next rib cook - foil straight across the top of the pan with a little indentation.

Dave/Paul - I was thinking the same thing regarding the "bottom of the pan" - why do we seek to crud the inside of the smoker "to season and fill gaps" but foil the bottom of the pan to keep it clean? Aesthetics? hmmm...

I'm curious how many people don't bother foiling the bottom of the pan(and the top for that matter?)

After the first 2 smokes the bottom of my pan is getting pretty gunky...I was just going to foil the bottom so I could remove it and keep my hands clean...If I go putting gunky little handprints all over the house? Lets just say that my wife may have me sleeping with the smoker and not her!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I too have read a lot of great input on this topic. I've noticed alot of it comes from the Pre 2009 models before the redesign. The earlier WSM WP's were much shallower. It seems the newer, deeper ones make quite a difference in the way the WSM maintains temp. Still using water after 3 smokes with no foil to get a good feel for the smoker under varying conditions. The jury is still out for foil and saucers for me. Just my .02
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Mike,
I have yet to use water in the pan - strictly the pan + clay saucer so far. How bad is the hassle (cleaning) of the pan with water after a cook other than having to move it away from your dog
icon_wink.gif

Dave, after my first smoke (ribs) I let the water cool down over night. Then I skimmed the fat solid off the top and trashed it. Then I dumped the clean water down the drain and washed the pan with warm soapy water. It was not a hassle at all and is just like new...and my dogs did follow me around for like 30 minutes!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
Hi Mike,
I have yet to use water in the pan - strictly the pan + clay saucer so far. How bad is the hassle (cleaning) of the pan with water after a cook other than having to move it away from your dog
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, It's not bad. I do it the next day. I take out the pan and dump the grey water. From there (using a rag so as not to drip any on the floor), I sit it in the sink for the wife to clean. Almost painless.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ha!
icon_smile.gif
I don't have a dog but I heard some coyote's yapping in the middle of the night after my pulled pork smoke! And I'm not sure how "painless" it would be if I left the pan in the sink for my wife to clean
icon_eek.gif

I cleaned my pan, inside and out, for the first 20+ cooks. Now I go empty with foil inside only. Sometimes, when I pull it out the day after (because, why worry about cleanup when you're eating), I almost feel bad for the botton, but not enough to scrub it.

Back