Official 2021 Upper Midwest Weber Gas Grill Meet thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce,
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Your map really helps see how this is unfolding. I think we will have a great time. It definitely adds another dimension to participating on this board when you get to meet other members in person. With an event like this we can have some good laughs comparing cooking methods and grill models. Maybe even a little bit of swap and sell. I hope I am bring one special full size gas grill and maybe a Char Q and a kettle.

Let’s hope and pray that this stupid virus and unfortunate unrest will all calm down by next summer. It would be great to have a really good turnout for our inaugural event!

Yes Jon, exactly. I think having a swap and sell would be great. A perfect chance for members to get that drip pan, lid, end cap, manifold or whatever they need without having to pay shipping costs. And a great chance for others to get rid of some excess parts and accessories.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Last edited:
Just A Few Things I would enjoy seeing at our Upper Midwest Meet:

• Dave in KC to bring his red Weber GAS kettle!
  • Bruce to demonstrate using Rit dye technique. Maybe dye some stuff we bring for a modest charge to cover his materials and effort. Maybe a special effects demo in the evening 😁 !
  • Unusual or hard to find Weber parts that you might be willing to sell or swap. I think a "swap meet" like they have at car shows would be a lot of fun.
  • A Skyline grill outfitted with GrillGrates - just so we can have fun watching it grill and debating the merits and demerits of GrillGrates. I will bring that - but just fun discussion - no angry arguing!
  • A cookoff between a Q200 and a CharQ
OK, now it's you all's turn. What would YOU like to see?

Maybe other things too. Like if you're a CCW tips for safety and or comfort, the swap meet idea sounds great as well. Favorite beers, spice mixes and such

I live TOO close to O Hare airport and have interest in attending. Has anyone suggested any of the parks
along the shore of Lake Michigan? There are some nice ones from Wilmette IL on up to Kenosha WI that
would be a nice place for this kind of event. This might get me to buy a Q1200 so I don't have to do any
heavy lifting.

Bob,
Bruce and I are stepping up our efforts to secure a location. We have one possibility that could be very nice. Just need a little time to work out the details. If that doesn't pan out, I could see the lake shore being a definite possibility or maybe something in NW Illinois. We will be working on it and letting people know where things are at fairly soon. We want to get some of the basics nailed down - at least as much as possible given this ongoing COVID dilemma - so that people can start putting it on their calendars and committing. We are glad you are interested and hope you will be a part of a great turnout - maybe even some special guests!

Well, you are welcome if you happen to find yourself in the area when it is going on. We will be sure to post photos for everyone that isn't able to make it.

Hey all. We are still moving ahead with this. We are getting to the point where we have to locate and lock down a specific meeting place. We are still looking in the N. Illinois area and have a few ideas, but nothing definite yet. We are hoping to have something more concrete on that in the next couple weeks as we need to nail that down before we can make detailed plans on everything else.

Any forum member is still welcome to attend and we are still taking tentative RSVP's, so if you think you would like to attend, PM me and let me know.

If anyone knows of a public or even private area that could host this get together, let us know. We are currently looking in the N. Illinois area. State, county or even private parks and campgrounds are obvious choices. A place with a large pavilion would be nice but not required. Electricity access is a plus and obviously space for two to three dozen people or so along with grills and gear and parking. Oh yah, restroom access is something important as well.

The thread has most of the information regarding this meet, so check through that and if you have any questions, please post them up here and we will get back to you asap.
Bruce

We still have my location in the loop and Jon has messaged me about it privately but I will put this out there publicly so everyone is on the same page. This past weekend we lost my mother in law (I know you're all thinking what has that got to do with it LOL). Well what with the issues of this Covid thing, the absolutely brutal weather here in the midwest and the fact my sister in law and her family live in FL means my wife and her sister are trying to plan a memorial in MN where they're from for her internment. As of yet they have not locked down a date. Once they've done that I will be able to know more about getting this done here in Cherry Valley.
Jon, my apologies for not responding sooner but since we'd last messaged the mother in law took a real bad turn (we think too brought on by the shock of being moved from one home to another when her previous location closed unexpectedly). So as you can well imagine things were moving at a weird pace here. So to be in the clear this is the point we're at now.
Hopefully my wife and her sister will work this out soon. Stay tuned

Larry,
Didn't know about you mother-in-law but can totally relate. We certainly don't want you to feel pressured, and that is why I didn't message you about it again. It is more than just a casual thing to be the host for this event, so it has to work for you and your family. We will stay tuned!

Once I have this narrowed down (funeral arrangements) I will post info and have everyone on this thread in the loop. Sorry I wasn't able to be more timely, but the way things have been going I hope you all can understand. It really weird. She was at a very nice facility here in Rockford (my wife and her sister moved her here after their brother died 3 years ago). She was doing fairly well, but then the facility which was a former convent had huge building maintenance issues and they had to move all the residents to a partner facility. Seemed like she went downhill very rapidly after that. They had no sooner moved her, than next thing wife had to get hospice and before we knew it she passed. We think the move was just too much for her. She had Parkinson and dementia and got over confused very easily.
Her wishes were to be with her father up in MPLS, so we wait.

Larry, my condolences. I understand moving parents in care facilities coupled with the Covid restrictions and all. Kinda going through that myself as well, but nothing like a death.
I hope things go well from here on out for you and your family and loved ones. Don't feel like you need to justify anything or feel the need to update on a public forum. That can be handled off line if you would rather. Up to you.

Anyway, take care and peace be with you, your family and your Mother in law.

It's not an issue. I think it's better I update here so anyone with interest knows what's happening and not thinking it's just fallen by the wayside. I am just not sure how quickly my wife and sister in law will make a decision.

Larry,
Caring for my mother-in-law until her passing helps me understand a little of what you are going through. You and your wife are in my prayers.

Like Bruce said, we are all totally good with you and your wife taking the time you very much need. More important things to work through right now.

Jon

Thanks guys. Like I said once wife and SIL have their details worked out it'll allow me to work things out. I know we've been talking about my house (thanks to it having a very large setting) but, there is also a very nice couple of venues close by as well once things are worked out with MIL that Jon and Bruce I will send out info on so we can hammer out (funny quip with wife working at Estwing LOL) and put details together with.
Stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back