Odd Boston Butt

JWorden

TVWBB Fan
I've been smoking boston butt on my 14.5 WSM since last summer and today I discovered something odd when pulling it. The bone which is usually large and roughly fist size was about the size of my thumb and and shaped like a potato wedge. It didn't order a boneless butt and there was no strings. In preparation I found that the fat cap was absent. It weighed about 4 lbs on the label.

Have any of you seen this before? When pulling it was tougher than normal and the interior of the meat seemed fattier. I pulled it around 200F I cooked another butt at the same time and that one was normal.

I was having odd temperature readings today and the absent bone may have made a difference.

4 pounds is a small pork butt, and I think not a whole pork butt. Maybe yours was cut in half across its width, fat cap removed, and left with the part of the blade bone that sticks up?

Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah, that looks about right.

4-5 lbs is the size my local store usually sells but it's the first one I've goten like this.

If you've been getting the whole blade bone in 4-5 pound butts, maybe they were smallish butts in the past and you got a 9-10 pounder that was cut down into a smaller portion. #weirdness

Back