Occupancy motion detector lights for rooms - need information please

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've been thinking of installing "Occupancy motion detector lights" in several rooms in our house. I don't know what to expect from them or how they work. I really must get our power bill down. I'm assuming that they are installed into the wall switches that control the lights in the room. Does anyone have any experience with these? Pros and cons, please?

Thank you!
Rita

my neighbor has them in her hallways, seem good to me.......

Have you switched to LED lights or CFL lights?

We had one in our closet and everytime I walked by it would come on which was annoying. I switched it out with a timer switch that we turn on manually and it turns off after 5 minutes. I think there are switches that you turn on manually and if the switch doesn't detect motion after a certain set time it turns the light off. It really depends what you need and each room could be different. I'm assuming you've switched over to more efficient light bulbs?

Last edited:
Yes, we mostly have the newer light bulbs. It would be nice to have the lights go out when a room isn't being used.

Barb and I are gradually changing all our lights to LED's. The price on the LED's is coming down and the energy savings is unreal. We have seven floodlights in our kitchen that were 85 watts each, now we have seven LEDs that are 7 watts each and the same amount of light.
I think bang for the buck it might be better to change out the bulbs.

Don't have one but they have tons of models--. It replaces existing switch so you would need to be comfortable working with your wiring. A basic is one that has a manual/auto function combined with a 30 sec to 30 minute timer you adjust for when you want them to turn off if no motion. But you've probably already read this in your web shopping ;)

Last edited:
I put a motion sensor light in our garage. basically just change out the light switch with the motion senor. It turns on when it detects motion and stay on for 3 minutes. You can manually turn the switch on and off as well. I had to take the standard switch and the reconnect 3 wires. Really easy installation.

We had one in our last house and really missed it in the new house. That's why I go another one. It is very convenient when you have your hands full taking out trash or when you have a one year old occupying you hands!

The ones I'm used to dealing with are the commercial ones for public buildings ( schools, colleges, hotels)
They turn on when you enter the room, and stay on as long as someone is in the room. When multiple people exit the room it stays on until the last person (it senses exits), than turns off following a pre-set time.
You do want one with a manual override, so you can turn off the light ( if not needed ) during daylight.
If you have an Electrician in mind, than I would suggest you ask him/her for an opinion.
I would always trust a skilled trades-persons opinion.:)
Tim

have one in our small bathroom.
sit still for 30 seconds, it shuts off.
step into the shower, it shuts off.
on windy days, it senses the trees blowing (or something) through the window, it goes on and off like a little kid playing with the switch.

I installed it because sweetie pie ALWAYS LEFT THE LIGHTS ON

I hear you, Jim! Things don't always work the way we expect. So....if the lights stay on as long as there is someone in the room, what happens when they roll over to go to sleep? Do the lights stay on? Does one have to get up to manually turn them off if they are installed in a switch at the door? That might be a deal-breaker.

You can adjust the time Rita (see post 6 above).

Here's a blurb from one version (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-M...pancy-Sensing-White-MSCL-OP153MH-WH/203821815) :
-Works with mixed loads of bulbs
-Automatically turn lights on and off based on room occupancy
-Uses advanced XCT sensing technology, offering the most reliable on/off performance up to 30 ft.
-Senses daylight, so lights don’t turn on inadvertently (optional)
-Can be switched to vacancy mode (manual-on, auto off)
-Programmable time-out of lights - 1, 5, 15 or 30 minutes
-Programmable fade times for lights turning on and off - allows lights to come on and/or turn off gradually
-Easily program the preset to automatically turn on the lights to your favorite level
(bold is mine)

Unless I don't understand what you're asking/looking for.

They also have lights that you control via a rf handheld device. Dim/brighten/turn on/turn off. I have one and it works flawlessly in my "man cave" ;) You can also use the regular wall switch (part of the set) and have the same control at the door to the room.

Last edited:
Last edited:
One thing you have to be aware of when switching from a typical switch to a module type is the depth of the gang box. Most homes for a single pole switch use a 1 1/2" deep gang box, which is fine because you only have one feed going in and one line going out. If you have a 3-way switch or one that controls a light and a outlet than it can get a little crowded in there as the newer module type sits deeper in the box and takes up more room. ( makes it a real pita to pigtail splices with wire nuts)
You could open up the wall and add a deeper box, than patch the drywall and repaint, or buy a finish extension ring.
I changed out two single pole switches to toggle type for a 3 way and a bath combo light/ fan. The extension ring looks good and saved me a lot of unnecessary work.
budbc9wFyVCASyA9n5UNZU1dkK2lxhcquQo-EqmWQMfse5n2SuvktvIbYBHKQp_Ht4wQgAyyxlqJACIUAWdHvWI_Hwbyw-ppJA_NbsmJDj4Cx1LlgAOZhgRsi3OyX7vTrxPGnlzRv5kA7rKmRYkq1RtiioSlMUDPZsVQKeY5NH56c0AcPUqDTYVU5QR32RdanG0B6--9lc5oZbJTeXXQJLHgLYRNRn-uZJ1vaESwJdyAdqXE6Hz5X31YOMaP3eLXULU13fecA9kt_eNvDU7z1C_mRT2h1-iL2W1C0MOWoXIzq9BBfrGaPTnhRpdpedLAFJNZFXWSQLHIgszXy-4gn4IFybYJBNwr-0lGHLPaQrlZfZgX-thALflFBah8Z3izfnAnA6-P7IttT6TdbTCxFOllQrk4uaqjxVgyvLKT8ZSUwedbtas8bkx9qnZYHfDY6I-zJHXIvH7tNrjk0qzFy7R2w46GnHmlXpQwLnlQeCIUIJ6VwMDTwJCmtF2I6EdBV9ZgmvGgScp9HuW894Hv7mDVcbTb2EFSB8coT9KWJRs=w444-h789-no

Tim

Last edited:
Thank you, Len. I did find some information HERE, which brings up the choice of Infrared and Occupancy Sensors: Passive Infrared, Ultrasonic and Dual-Technology.

This might be more information for me to absorb at the moment, since I'm trying to handle health issues for a family member. I'd love to get the energy rebates, though. Anyone interested in energy rebates might check SAVE MONEY WITH REBATES to see if their state participates.

OT:
>>>fixed your link<<<
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Pages/EnergyCodes/Rebates.aspx

Back