NY Style Pizza Dough

we made some pizza using frozen dough that they use at sams and it was really good. we wanna try this dough but we dont have a mixer with a dough hook. can you use a hand held mixer or just mix by hand? thx

Tim, the dough is too heavy to mix with a hand-held mixer. Here is how to do it by hand or in a food processor, if you have one.

Combine the flour, instant dry yeast (also called bread machine or quick-rising yeast) and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the water and mix as best you can with a wooden spoon until you get a very shaggy and somewhat dry-looking dough that is fairly evenly moistened. Place a sheet of lightly-oiled plastic wrap against the top of the dough in the bowl and cover it all with a towel. Let it stand for 20 minutes at room temperature. This will begin to rehydrate the flour and yeast and make it easier to knead.

Now you can either knead this dough by hand for about 5 to 10 minutes (pizza dough generally is not kneaded quite as thoroughly as bread doughs), or you can knead it in a food processor, if you have one:

To knead the dough in a food processor, depending on the size of the processor, cut the dough in half or quarters. Drop one portion of dough into the processor -- use the steel blade, not the plastic dough blade -- and process for 20 to 30 seconds, or just until the dough forms a smooth ball. Remove it from the processor and knead by hand briefly on a kitchen counter to cool it down. Set aside, covered. Repeat with each of the remaining portions of dough. Then hand-knead them all together for a minute or two and proceed with the recipe.

Rita

Tim,

Rita's right about the hand mixer. If you happen to have a bread machine you can mix dough with that also. That's what I've been using for the past year and it works pretty well.

Paul

thanks rita and paul. we're waiting on a replacement bowl for the processor. i think we still have an old bread machine. that will keep us going til we can get a nice mixer

Tim, let us know how your pizza comes out with pics of course.Doing one tonight on the grill. Looking forward to it

really stupid question here

Ceresota AP Flour (100%) 24.56 oz
Water (62%) 15.22 oz
IDY (0.33%) 0.76 tsp.
Salt (2%) 2.5 tsp
100% 62% .33% 2% of what?

When expressing the make up of a dough using baker's percentages, the weight of the flour component is expressed as "100%", and the weights of the other components as percentages relative to the flour. So, by weight, the water equals 62% of the weight of the flour (15.22/24.56 = .6197), and so on.

for those of you who are cooking it on a 22" kettle: are you just throwing the screen/stone on the grate?

Last night I did my first pizza on the kettle but it was from papa murphys, not made from the crust here.

used about 1.5 chimneys of K, put the 18" wsm fire ring on the grate, my stone on top of that, & then added the rotisserie ring to raise the lid.

I let it pre-heat for ~35 minutes @ 525F. around 8 minutes in the cardboard tray that the pizza came on started smoking & the bottom of the crust was done but the cheese hadn't browned but was melted so I put the za straight on the stone for another 2.5 minutes & pulled it off. Crust was burnt but edible (barely).

I went through all the pages in this thread & no one said anything about a kettle, only ovens so I was hoping for charcoal pointers.

Yes, many put the stone on the grate; others fashion the dough on the screen then put that on the grate. I use neither a stone or screen - the dough goes on the grate directly, gets cooked one side, is flipped and quickly topped, then alowed to finish. It's pretty quick.

Clint, don't think Papa Murphy's pizza is supposed to be cooked at that high a temp. Not bad pizza though. Still like my own dough much better. Been using the quick method lately for making the dough and the wife seems to like it as much as the long fermented dough.

Clint,

the bottom of the crust was done but the cheese hadn't browned

Your temp looks good so I would recommend raising the pizza up a bit. Bryan S. gave me excellent advice when I had the same problem. Since you can use the rotisserie ring, you might try putting the stone on top of a few bricks. Moving the pizza up is the solution.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul K:
Clint,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> the bottom of the crust was done but the cheese hadn't browned

Your temp looks good so I would recommend raising the pizza up a bit. Bryan S. gave me excellent advice when I had the same problem. Since you can use the rotisserie ring, you might try putting the stone on top of a few bricks. Moving the pizza up is the solution.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct, raise the pie up to get the reflective heating from the inside of the lid. You might want to clean the inside of the lid to get more reflective heating from the lid. In an oven, you just move the oven rack to get the right bottom and top heat so the pie finishes top and bottom at the same time. HTH

Originally posted by Doug D:
When expressing the make up of a dough using baker's percentages, the weight of the flour component is expressed as "100%", and the weights of the other components as percentages relative to the flour. So, by weight, the water equals 62% of the weight of the flour (15.22/24.56 = .6197), and so on.

another stupid question here.
Is 15.22oz of water by volume or also be weight?

Thanks.

If you are calculating according to bakers' percentages, 15.22 oz (431.5 g) is by weight. 1 cup water = 8.4 oz / 237 g of weight or 8.0 fluid ounces (volume).

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
If you are calculating according to bakers' percentages, 15.22 oz (431.5 g) is by weight. 1 cup water = 8.4 oz / 237 g of weight or 8.0 fluid ounces (volume).

Rita
Thanks Rita. This is my first foray into baker's percentages. Someone posted earlier that 1 cup of flour was somewhere around 3-4 oz. So the total flour is going to be somewhere between 6-8 cups with around 1 cup of water? Just want to make sure I've got this right.

Mike, the flour weight you mention is a bit low. We're walking out the door and I'll try to reply when we get back in 4 or 5 hours.

------------

I'm back. About flour in baking: generally, to measure white flour for cakes and pastries, the flour is stirred in its container and lightly spooned into a measuring cup, which would result in flour that is 4 to 4 1/2 ounces per cup. For bread making, however, the flour is often scooped out of the container, with or without stirring, and leveled off (no shaking). Most bread recipes that I've used give a good result using the measurement of 1 cup white flour = 4.8 ounces / 137 g. (1.0 oz = 28.3495 g) I've checked several books that give weights and the average is pretty close to that. Many people use 5 ounces per cup but that's a little on the heavy side.

I would encourage you to use weights in pizza-making and baking for consistency and speed of measuring your ingredients. Be sure to take notes of the weights you use for any future adjustments that you want to make.

So if the recipe calls for 24.56 oz (696 g) of white flour, it would be close to 5 cups flour.

Rita

Back