NY Style Pizza Dough

Starting over!
icon_mad.gif
Rookie Mistake!

Back in the saddle again! I redid my "first dough" experiment shortly after coming to grips with my mistake, and it has been "cold fermenting" since. I am tempted to take one dough ball out and give it a try early, but since Brian's Roadside Chicken turned out so good, I will respect his advice and wait til the recommended time for the dough.

ok... I'm gonna try this... nobody delivers pizza out here in the boonies, so making my own only makes sense.

For those of us without a lot of fancy schmancy scales & such... is the amount of yeast required for the original recipe roughly equal to one package of dry yeast? More? Less?

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
For those of us without a lot of fancy schmancy scales & such... is the amount of yeast required for the original recipe roughly equal to one package of dry yeast? More? Less?
Tom, the amount of yeast is measured in tsp, not weight, no fancy equip needed. To answer your ?, a packet of yeast is 2 1/4 tsp of yeast, so that's more than the 3/4 tsp of yeast that's called for in the recipe. HTH

Thanks, Bryan... I'm gonna give this a try.

Should I just toss the remainder of the yeast pkg or is there a way to save it?

el Cheapo here... LOL!

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
Should I just toss the remainder of the yeast pkg or is there a way to save it?

el Cheapo here... LOL!
Put the remainder in a little zip bag and toss it in the back of your freezer. Will keep in there for at least a year.
icon_wink.gif

Tom, you won't regret the purchase. The addition of a scale made my pizza dough making a heck of a lot more precise. The doughs started turning out much better.

Wow. What a great thread. My head is swimming after reading all of this. I see that almost everyone uses a KA or something like that for preparing the dough. I do not have a big mixer but I do have a 2 lb loaf bread machine. Can this be done in it? Or am I going to have to spend more money that I dont have?
thank you.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I do not have a big mixer but I do have a 2 lb loaf bread machine. Can this be done in it?
Dale, yes you can just use your bread machine to mix and knead the dough. Most of the newer Bread machines have a pizza dough cycle on them. If not just use the dough only cycle. HTH

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I see that almost everyone uses a KA or something like that for preparing the dough.
I have a KA 6-qt. I no longer use it for pizza dough. High hydration and a cold ferment, in addition to consistent measurements, are all I require these days. I barely knead, and mostly just mix, cloak, rest and repeat twice in a 30 minute time frame before stashing in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Dale, I've used KA before and really like it but it's not available locally here now. I started using bread flour made for bread machines but I use a Cuisinart mixer to make the dough. My wife has used the bread machine to make dough for stuff but I have not used it as of yet to make pizza dough. I make a combo dough from white and wheat flour. The wife really likes the taste. Matter of fact I've got one cold fermenting in the fridge right now for tonight. Been in there since Tuesday.

pardon my ignorance but why hasn't anyone suggested using you gas grill to get higher temp cook instead of heatinghte whole house up for an hour for a few minute cook. I figure there must be a reason.

Inquiring minds want to know

Well, I got all the ingredients and equipment rounded up and made my dough last night from Bryan's original recipe. Very simple. Now the dough is in the fridge waiting 'til next weekend.

I'm sure I'll have fun shaping the first few. I just hope at least one pie ends up in the oven and not thrown against the wall.
icon_eek.gif

Next question: Will this pan work? I have 2 of them and would hate that they would be ineffective.

pizza pan

41K1AG4QF9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Back