NY Style Pizza Dough

Originally posted by J Rector:
pardon my ignorance but why hasn't anyone suggested using you gas grill to get higher temp cook instead of heatinghte whole house up for an hour for a few minute cook. I figure there must be a reason.

Inquiring minds want to know
I use a pizza screen, not a stone to cook the pizzas on, so I don't have to heat the oven and the stone up for an hour. Not sure where you read to heat the oven up for an hour at?

Hey Bryan

This may have been in another post and i'm getting them mixed up. Somewhere sombody was talking about getting the oven temp up to 550 and using bricks.

J, now that the weather has gotten better I cook all my pizzas on the gas grill outside. I put down some unglazed quarry tile ,heat up to 450 or above and put the pizza on. Just remember it cooks faster on the grill than in your oven. I did one last Friday. It was done in about 4 1/2 minutes. I also use a pizza screen. It's convenient and if sprayed with oil before hand allows the pizza to slip right off onto a pan or other surface

I should have never read this post i feel the urge coming on . Now if I can get employed to buy the ingredients..

Just a heads up re pizza on the grill. I have a Napoleon grill, gets very hot and has a lot of headroom. What this means is that the grill surface gets superheated, but the area just above it (when blocked by food) does not -- it's hotter higher up.

First time I tried to grill a pizza on a pizza stone, the bottom charred to a crisp in about 1 minute, topping was not cooked. Second time, I backed off on the heat, and the bottom charred in 3 minutes, topping not cooked. Solution was to raise the stone on tin cans.

Originally posted by paul h:
J, now that the weather has gotten better I cook all my pizzas on the gas grill outside. I put down some unglazed quarry tile ,heat up to 450 or above and put the pizza on. Just remember it cooks faster on the grill than in your oven. I did one last Friday. It was done in about 4 1/2 minutes. I also use a pizza screen. It's convenient and if sprayed with oil before hand allows the pizza to slip right off onto a pan or other surface

What is a pizza screen?

Shelly, you are absolutely right about the toppings. Been toying with two possible solutions. One is to precook all toppings. The other is to build my own little brick enclosure with real brick for the sides and use the top grate of the grill as the top . I would put some quarry tile on the top grate to reflect the heat back down.

I've been doing the former for years. Even in my oven and even in commercial pizza ovens and wood-fired ovens. Very few exceptions: tomatoes (unless I'm using roasted or smoked ones, tender greens (but I bleed them first), and maybe the odd this or that I can't think of at the moment, but, imo, the flavors are much better if most items are cooked (fully caramelized, partially so; fully cooked, partially so) first.

Kevin, have a dough cold fermenting in the refrigerator as we speak. Will try your method this Friday night. The only thing that didn't cook last time were the mushrooms which went on raw. I precook the green peppers and onions in the microwave to not only cook them but reduce the fluid they would leave on the crust

Originally posted by paul h:
Kevin, have a dough cold fermenting in the refrigerator as we speak. Will try your method this Friday night. The only thing that didn't cook last time were the mushrooms which went on raw. I precook the green peppers and onions in the microwave to not only cook them but reduce the fluid they would leave on the crust
I want to reduce the water as well but I either sauté or grill because I also want some caramelization for most things, especially onions. (Sometimes I will caramelize onions fully--terrific on something like pizza with smoked duck, caramelized onion, portobellos, and kale.)

Mushrooms I sauté. Thin-sliced mushrooms often just get dry and lack flavor added directly, imo. Thicker slices fare better. But you can really draw out their flavor by sautéing them, sluced thick, in a butter-evoo combo, in a single layer, uncrowded, till they release their water, the water evaporates and they brown on one side. Then I flip them, add a splash of white wine and a tad more butter and let them go just till the wine is about gone. The fats will replace some of the evap'd water (keeoing them juicy), the wine will broaden the flavor, and the browning will add depth. Give this a shot sometime.

Kevin, that sounds a heck of a lot better than my old microwave plus I bet it tastes great on the pizza

Made these the first week of May. Son was coming home from college. He remembered the last ones I made and asked for more. I always precook ingredients helps remove water and I like things like veggies carmelized a little.

Thanks again Bryan. The barbecued chicken was a special order from my son. Came out really good. I had some that I had grilled which I cubed and mixed into a sauce that he taste tested for me to match what he was used to.

These were all at the 14 day mark in the ferment.

Barbecued Chicken Red Onion
Red Onion and Mushroom
Sweet Pepper Red Onion and Mushroom
Sweet Pepper and sliced Provolone which is one of my favorites.

Pizza040509001.jpg

Pizza040509003.jpg

Pizza040509005.jpg

Pizza040509007.jpg

1st Pizza...

Good crust... Bryan's recipe with no changes. Could have cooked for a bit longer, but not much. Crunch was good. I don't like really crispy pizzas.

This is a good start for me. I'm stoked!! This one had commercial sauce, pepperoni, carmelized onions, mozzarella, and Japs. Really tasty, but as others have said, it's all about the crust.

1stpizza.jpg

Thanks Bryan... working on getting the crust a little browner next time.

The taste of the crust is really amazing. Who would think that crust could be the "star" of pizza?

I'm afraid I'm hooked... and since nobody delivers pizza in my area, I'm doing the happy dance...

Got a question concerning baking pizza dough on a gas grill. Been using quarry tiles layed down on the bottom grate. Trying to cook around 450. Lately, it seems that the center of the pizza crust is cooking faster than the outside edge. This doesn't happen in my oven. Is there something I'm doing wrong????
icon_rolleyes.gif

Lately, it seems that the center of the pizza crust is cooking faster than the outside edge.

That seems odd... What's the burner configuration under those tiles? Are all jets cleared out? Also, is your dough rolled or worked out evenly, not too thin in the center?

Paul

Back