Nut shells for smoking

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
This might sound crazy but I was thinking (yes, that's the crazy part). Can you use nut shells for smoking. I'm talking about shells from walnuts and pecans, etc. The ones you throw away after your guests break them and eat the nut inside.

Dave -wow, what a thought. I'm interested in the response. Man I'm wondering if "things Mexican" could work nicely with cocoa shells, sorry for the stretch I know they are not nuts (I am).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Thanks Doug. It seems that if you can use the wood from a tree, why not the nut shell? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it *might* be similar to using chips or dust instead of wood chunks. Would burn faster. So you would get a lighter smoke unless you load them on for the duration of the cook. I would expect the shells have different characteristics than the wood for smoke.

Your probably right Ray. I think I would soak them and put them in a foil pouch with a couple of small holes.

I've even used whole pecans (little dried-up ones from the previous year's crop, not worth cracking) and they worked well.

Has anyone ever tried Macadamia shells or even Macadamia wood? I have found the orchard down the road sells bags of shells for next to nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Larry - was the smoke the same as if you used pecan wood? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know - I've never used pecan wood. (My sister-in-law with the pecan trees never trims them, although I keep telling her she needs to!)
icon_smile.gif

Back