Nube Question

Bill W San Diego

TVWBB Super Fan
Would someone please explain how to start and control my fire using the "Kiss Method" and when would you use this method as apposed to the "Minion Method"? :confused:
Thanks in advance
Bill

I imagine it stands for Keep It Simple Stupid - but who knows. As for how that would apply to starting up coals I have no idea. Many use a KISS approach to barbecue when it comes to seasoning/rubs, by only using salt and pepper. Me, I'm not a fan as i find the results exceedingly bland and boring.

It's Gary Wiviott's method of how to build a clean burning fire which is found in the book Low and Slow. Here's a thread on it: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35922-K-I-S-S-method

One big thing with Gary's method is not futzing with the vents. Just let the fire do it's thing.

I've found great success with the method and the cooks he presents in his book.

Last edited:
I always use the minion method on my WSM. I start with the fire ring having a hollow circle of charcoal and put the 2/3 a chimney starter of lit in the center.with my bottom vents set at 1/3 open and the top full open my smoker will settle in at about 245 - 250 for 6-8 hours with almost no tending. Just experiment to find method that you like and enjoy.

Mike

Thanks for the replies guys, they are appreciated. I think I'll continue to use the " Minion Method". Keeping it simple just doesn't offer a big enough challenge. LOL

I fill my ring up to the top with charcoal, with 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of wood mixed in.
I light the charcoal in three places, in between the vents, with a high out put propane torch.
ribs0103.jpg

I let it go for a bit, uncovered, until the charcoal gets going good.
I then put the WSM together, starting with all the vents open, and adjust from there.

Bob

Back