K.I.S.S. method

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
I started smoking on my WSM using Gary Wiviott's K.I.S.S. charcoal lighting method (Keep it simple, stupid!)...If you are not familiar with it, here it goes:

- Fill charcoal ring halfway with un-lit lump (about two chimneys full)
- Place 2-3 woodchunks of top of the un-lit charcoal
- Fill the chimney up with more lump, about halfway
- Dump this on the charcoal and wood already in the bowl (this should bring the lump just below the top edge of the ring)
- Fill ANOTHER chimney FULL with lump and light this one
- Dump lit chimney on top of unlit charcoal then add MORE chunks of wood.

Here's my problem: I've used this method about four times now and EVERY time my cooker starts off painfully slow - that is, around 200-225F for the first 1-2 hours of the cook. Towards the 2-3 hour mark, the lump really starts to engage and my cooker gets into that perfect 250-275 range. This almost ALWAYS occurs towards the end of my cook - I usually am cooking a couple birds or ribs - nothing that warrants 6-7 hours of fire.

Has anyone tried Gary's K.I.S.S. method to perfection? I can't seem to engage my coals to get hot enough for the beginning of the cook.

The K.I.S.S. method calls for A LOT of lump and A LOT of wood, but I get why Gary suggests this method - it forces you to learn how to manage a fire in the smoker and get a feel for how long the K.I.S.S. method will last for long cooks. I've learned how to use less wood and lump for things like ribs and chicken, but, can't I just use the minion method? What's the major difference between these two?

Thanks guys.
Tim

Not to throw water on Gary's K.I.S.S. method (it is a good method), but I think the Minion method is much easier and straight forward. I've used it for the last five years and have no problems with it. I also use Kingsford briquettes more often than not. I have used lump, but I like the consistency of KF. Give the Minion method a shot and let us know how it worked for you.

Here's my problem: I've used this method about four times now and EVERY time my cooker starts off painfully slow - that is, around 200-225F for the first 1-2 hours of the cook. Towards the 2-3 hour mark, the lump really starts to engage and my cooker gets into that perfect 250-275 range.
Tim

Tim, the method you've been using is what I call a "modified Minion", because it's still pouring lit on top of unlit to prolong a cook. If you're having problems getting up to temp in a timely manner now, it'll be even slower if you start with less lit charcoal, as Jim Minion did.

At the start of a cook, we're cooking a lot hotter than it appears if going by the dome gauge or checking with a therm on the grate next to cold meat. The alternatives are to measure exhaust temp through the top vent, measure the temp of the fire with a probe hanging just UNDER the grate, and although not as consistent, measure the fire on one side with a probe between the cooker wall and the meat, just below the grate.

In any case, I suggest starting with hot or even boiling water, and assuming you're using the huge pan of the '09+ wsm, you don't have to fill it more than about halfway. If cooking a lot of meat and using both racks, you might even try skipping the water altogether and maybe just foil the pan or use a clay pot base for a heat sink. Of course, be sure to leave the bottom vents open all the way until you get up to temp, at least in your case.

Last edited:

Back