Now it's kickin butt!

justin.williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Now for the real test, a low and slow cook. After a successful hot and fast chicken yesterday, today we're doing some pork butts and ribs. Prepped them up last night after we go done eating the chicken (sorry no pics of that). Rubbed them down with my homemade rub and let them sit in the fridge over night. This morning I got up and cleaned out the cooker from yesterday's cook and loaded her up for the minion method.

Used a whole 18 pound bag of Original Charcoal Company all natural rancher briquets. I really like the stuff and it what's available at my local supermarket, and at $7 for a 18 pound bag the price is right too (I am not affiliated with them in any way shape or form). Anyway, full bag mixed with apple and hickory chunks. Dropped 30 lit briquets on top, assembled the cooker, wrapped water pan with about 2 gallons of hot water.

Butts on! It took about 20 mins. to get up to 200* shut the vents down 50%, about 20 mins. later approaching 250*, closed the one vent facing the breeze all the way and the other 2 let about 10% open and...

We've been sailing at 250 for the last few hours. did i mention I love this thing! Ribs will be going on soon...

Great lookin' pork butts there Justin...
when it's all done and you're pullin' that pork, don't forget Bruschi & Hercules
dog.gif

Alright guys, sorry i had every intention of keeping up with this post till the end of the cook yesterday, but friends started coming over, drinks were made, and the you know how it goes...
Anyway,

here are the butts at about 4 hours in taking them in to wrap

put the ribs on at the same time

ribs after about 3 hours in the smoke

taking them up to get wrapped in a little brown sugar, butter, and apple juice then back on for another hour

after about an hour unwrapped them coated them with a light coat of a sauce and let it set for about 20 mins. probably a little more tender then for competition, but that's how me and my friend like 'em so...

bone came out clean

pulled perfectly

plated up, some of my vinegar sauce in the back ground, and you can see i didn't even have room for any of the salad, corn, or coleslaw that was made to go with it.
when it's all done and you're pullin' that pork, don't forget Bruschi & Hercules
and don't worry Jim, the boys are never left out!

Thanks for looking, and for all the advice I've gotten from this site. the WSM has performed exactly as describe, held temp all day and never had to restock any charcoal. these things rock! However...I did notice this morning when i was cleaning it out that some of the porcelain enamel had chipped off of the outside of the charcoal bowl. figured I'd call Weber and see if they'll replace it

Back