Nothing special here ... just another red Weber gasser from the early 80's

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
ZT64EeAl.jpg

I was fortunate enough to pick this up a couple of weeks ago,
and finally had time today to give it a quick dusting and snap a pic.
Igniter still lights on the first push, and the original owner said
it was the only grill he had ever used, and loved it. However,
being 97, he was headed to a retirement home and could
not take it with him. Those of you that know my fondness for
red grills can rest assured it will fit in nicely with my others.

As of now I have not been able to determine the exact age.
It has a serial #, but I can not find anything that tell me the year.
If anyone has an idea, please feel free to share it.

Last edited:
Wow, Dave, what a great find! It is another of those old classics that some say didn't cook well, but regardless it IS a great piece of Weber history. That one is in amazing condition, too. I need one of those for my This Old Grill Museum. :coolkettle:

Wow. What a fantastic piece of history. I'm not sure I'd want to cook on that - especially considering the great shape its in. Great find, and I'm glad it found a good home.

They're cool looking. My parents bought one. They preceded the Genesis. They sadly are awful at actually "cooking". They have basically a giant round cast burner in the center. (Think turkey fryer). Above that a sheet metal heat deflector. The idea is you could put the deflector up and supposedly direct heat and keep it down and supposedly "indirect" heat. It was an awful concept. Above this a bed of lava rock. Anyway they're cool to look at but awful to cook on.

Anyway they're cool to look at but awful to cook on.

Previous owner aside who may have had some bias, this is the same I have heard from others that have used them. I have no reason to dispute it, nor test it. The inside is as clean as the outside, and I spent less than 30 minutes tweaking and cleaning for the pic. I have enough grills to cook on and clean.... no need to make more work for myself. :)

That is awesome. Yeah, not sure I'd cook on it either, but damn I'd have to buy it if given the chance. Honestly, I'd probably pull the original grates, add a Smokey Joe charcoal grate over the burner and use it as a side burner or simply as my chimney starter.

Or, depending on how hot the dome temp gets, you could use it as an oven or "keep warm" grill too. I could see baking homemade biscuits in it while you make sausage gravy and eggs on your other grills. Just saying

Never seen one of those. THat is so cool. I bet you could grab a pretty nice profit if you decided to flip it.

Back