Nothing like an overnighter as salve for the soul

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Hi my TVWBB friends. The missus asked me to chronicle the downstairs freezer's belongings; I was thrilled that I found an 8.5 lb bone-in Costco butt.

Made a dry rub on the fly. Hmmm, there's some Montreal steak seasoning--2/3 c. that. 1/3 c. paprika. 1/4 c. each chili powder and brown sugar. 2 T. dried thyme. 1/2 t. cayenne (okay, I'm a wuss). A sprinkle or two of turbinado sugar.

bywgj4H.jpg

Now, let's pay homage to Jim Minion. Full unlit ring and, according to my friend the UNC basketball and BBQ fanatic and Chapel Hill alum, exactly 23 lit briquets. Full water pan.

BlebHbF.jpg

But, WAIT!! It's a beautiful spring night. I need a cold beer and a....HUH??.....where is the.....THERE IT IS!! Always good to lay in reserves.

uAJfjxp.jpg

MuwDQi8.jpg

Let's put it in. 200-225 at lid. Apple & hickory.

OSFcgym.jpg

Time for bed.

bCpGUTm.jpg

UxVQ447.jpg

{9 hours later.....you read that right......9 HOURS!!} If I ever meet a WSM engineer, they're getting a cold Bud and a Fireball sidecar.....when I woke up, my 18.5" WSM was stuck at 225 and 180 internal.

Getting close.....grab the foil, beach towels, newspaper and faux cambro, silly!

NtXbTYW.jpg

17 hours. 200 internal. Unbelievable bite.

OeYBqvS.jpg

Folks, people were happy. Sorry for the lack of plated shots. I always lose my mind by that point and forget. Happy Easter/Happy Passover. Be safe and stay well.

I love the thermometer dial...reminds me of an old Timex or Westclox Big/Baby Ben!

At 8-1/2 pounds I'm not surprised it took 17 hours. Nice work!

The butt looks awesome, but I have to say, I, like Brad really love the thermometer! I would love to get one and put it on my mini WSM.
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Re: Tru-Tel installation, don't run out and buy a decent 13/16" drill bit like I did at a specialty hardware store--I cost almost as much as the dial for one hole! Find a buddy with that, a hole saw, auger......anything!

Looks great. The bark is spectacular.
And I had no idea 23 was the magic # for lit coals.... Quite a coincidence coming from a UNC guy 🤣

Back