not using water in 22 WSM

Ive seen where some have not used water in the water pan. That does interest me , i have never tried it,i can see not using water with chicken but what about ribs and butts? The water pan can be a mess, i always use the largest foil pan an put it in water pan with great success not making a mess. Those of you who don't use water please talk to me about the What's and how's in heat control, moisture. Would i use less charcoal? Thank you for all comments

You'll see a lot on the site about it. I sometimes use water sometimes not. I'd say most of the time not. You'll use a lot less fuel. You'll find temp control is a tad bit harder, but if you are good at setting temps you won't notice a difference. I simply wrap the pan in foil and then put a layer across the top so drippings dont burn on the pan.

If temp control isn't an issue and you're feeling particularly adventurous, you can also try getting 'authentic' pit flavor by removing the water pan altogether and letting the drippings fall on the fire.

If temp control isn't an issue and you're feeling particularly adventurous, you can also try getting 'authentic' pit flavor by removing the water pan altogether and letting the drippings fall on the fire.

Now that is a thought! I would like to try that. I would have to watch it a couple of cooks just to feel comfortable.
I never would have thought of that.
Thank you.
what is your experience doing it this way with ribs and butts?

I also use a ATC, but have lately gone sort of hybred on the water. I foil across about 95% of the pan, leaving just a little bit open, and then only pour in some water. I then use water for the first couple of hours, and when it burns off, don't replace it. It seems to give me a more smoky taste and a heavier bark with out turning it to crust.

For me, temperature control is about oxygen control. For years I've used a Lexington pan, two metal pans with an airspace between them. So temp control is about vent management. A typical butt cook overnight consists of just two vent adjustments before calling it a day and having a good night of rest.
A dry cooking environment enhances bark formation. I see no need for either water or a heat sink.Not only do I find this method to be simpler but also better (due to the dry environment).

Randy,
No water is not my way.
But not too much.
I have removed original water pan and put in a pizza pan large enough.
I foiled it.
Sitting on the pizza pan there is a disposable dripping pan with:
1) a layer of ash
2) double foil
3) 1/3 lt or less of water.
So I believe to get the best of the 2 worlds.
A moist enviroment in the very first hours oh each cook.
An easy set up to keep clean

Then you would have a WSM barrel cooker

Hey Randy.
I use an old restaurant trick in the water pan. I foil first and then add sand. On top of the sand I put a round foil tray to catch drippings. You can throw it out and keep the sand clean.

Hey Randy.
I use an old restaurant trick in the water pan. I foil first and then add sand. On top of the sand I put a round foil tray to catch drippings. You can throw it out and keep the sand clean.

That sounds much better than my try at sand. The foil leaked and I still have chunks of rock like sand stuck to my water pan.

Back