Not too bad for a guy that’s been coal only for 2 years now

What temp do you finish the dark meat on?
I find anything below 170-175 is or can be pinkish for me.
I even go 10-15 higher than that at times.
I seldom do chicken (the wife does) so I’m not that good on it.

What temp do you finish the dark meat on?
I find anything below 170-175 is or can be pinkish for me.
I even go 10-15 higher than that at times.
I seldom do chicken (the wife does) so I’m not that good on it.
I prefer a thigh at 185° for full doneness whereas it comes off the bone perfectly and without pink juices running from it.

I hear you on the gas cooks, I was asked to cook for the father in law's birthday......his house, his broil king 5 burner...no thermometer.
Came out pretty good to be honest but he now owns an insta read courtesy of a concerned griller. :unsure:
Looks tasty to me man.

First rule of cooking on gas: never admit to cooking on gas. :LOL:

Seriously, though, those look pretty tasty to me!
while it's been fun, i don't miss or really like it anymore. i'm looking forward to getting back home to cooking on my WSK.

to all you gassers out there, LP or NG, the WSK has truly been a game changer for me. if you think coal (natural lump is my personal recco) is tough to use, i'd say reconsider that point.

startup and warmup times are maybe 10 minutes more on a WSK, maybe. but the food product produced is X times better than gassing.

and if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, try their Carolina Gold bbq sauce.

i'm going to have to find a knockoff of it. it's that good.

Looking good Brett, I also prefer charcoal to gas. I have to admit though I do use the E320ng a lot for sides such as bakers and things like that.
My go to now for the two of us is our Jumbo Joe, easy on the coals and clean up.
Thanks for reminding me, I've got a couple of jars of TJs Carolina Gold BBQ sauce in the garage pantry I need to dig out, love the stuff.

Love having my q-300 for veggies and my kettles for meats. It’s a set up that has worked very well for me.
TJ’s Carolina gold is my favorite BBQ sauce, we love all kinds of stuff from Traders, they also have a sriracha garlic bbq sauce that is awesome too.

Looking good Brett, I also prefer charcoal to gas. I have to admit though I do use the E320ng a lot for sides such as bakers and things like that.
My go to now for the two of us is our Jumbo Joe, easy on the coals and clean up.
Thanks for reminding me, I've got a couple of jars of TJs Carolina Gold BBQ sauce in the garage pantry I need to dig out, love the stuff.
I can easily see doing sides on a gasser. In addition, some sides are better on coals too. But a gasser makes a good outdoor oven.

And the WSK is limited in size for proteins. If you’re doing a jumbo sized cook, I could see a EX6 or competitor handling large loads too.

We all know one grill isn’t enough. That’s why many here have various on deck solutions.

I’d like to dial in my outdoor island. I am glad though that I’ve held off too. It’s allowed me to see more of my choices.

Yes, all these heat sources have their merits, even some of the inside units are worthy of use. Ten charcoal units, one gasser, one five burner gas stove, three butane cartridge burners, two two burner Coleman camp stoves, three single burner Coleman 502 sportsman three turkey fryers, the Hillbilly hearth and a patio heater. There is an inventory of a rather “odd” collection of equipment but, every one has their best use!

I can easily see doing sides on a gasser. In addition, some sides are better on coals too. But a gasser makes a good outdoor oven.

And the WSK is limited in size for proteins. If you’re doing a jumbo sized cook, I could see a EX6 or competitor handling large loads too.

We all know one grill isn’t enough. That’s why many here have various on deck solutions.

I’d like to dial in my outdoor island. I am glad though that I’ve held off too. It’s allowed me to see more of my choices.
You should try to incorporate the WSK into an island, similar to the way KJ & BGE do. You would have to figure out how to either suspend in within the counter top or it needs some way to stand alone without a cart. Just a thought....

I really should do some sort of wiser outdoor kitchen arrangement. Now, that I have the Overperformer, platypus, and after I build the rotisserie carriage, and the windscreen for the WSM, I have a crazy amount of outdoor equipment, I should make an area which is convenient and efficient. I might have to take over a section of my wife’s garden…yeah, like that is likely to happen!

I really should do some sort of wiser outdoor kitchen arrangement. Now, that I have the Overperformer, platypus, and after I build the rotisserie carriage, and the windscreen for the WSM, I have a crazy amount of outdoor equipment, I should make an area which is convenient and efficient. I might have to take over a section of my wife’s garden…yeah, like that is likely to happen!
Reminds me of this:

1678833857966.jpeg

Back