Not Sure What To Buy 18.5 or 22.5

David Fletcher

I've been researching WSM for a while now. I'm going to buy one but size not sure on. I plan to cook for family parties so is the 18.5 to small for that

Welcome to the board and I am new here to this board as well. I have been a kettle griller for a while and used it to smoke as well. I received a WSM for Christmas and i can say that I am glad i got the 22.5". Yeah you will burn more fuel but at the same time you have the space you need. You don't have to fill it up but if you need more space on a smaller set up there isn't as much you can do.

I went big. You'll have the size when you need it and you are not really utilizing that much extra by way of charcoal

I have had both too and if I had to pick just one, I'd get the 22.

The 18, in my opinion, was the perfect size for a small family. It is also efficient (mine ran 12-14 hours on a single load of coals) and consistent once dialed in at target temp. It was also at home cooking a small batch of ABTs up to a full load of 4 butts, or more. I only gave it up because I gave that one to my dad when I had an opportunity to get a 22.

The 22 is HUGE, but like big tvs, you get used to it pretty quick. I think my 22 more naturally falls into and stays in the 225-275 range, but the 18 was a little easier to get hot for things like meatloaf. I solved this problem by building a mini, which is awesome for small cooks, ABTs, and meatloaf.

In summary, get a 22 and build a mini for the small stuff.

Get the 22.5 if money is not an issue.
I have the 18.5 because I got a great deal on CL

Checklist to help make the decision.

1. Storage space an issue?
2. Charcoal usage a concern?
3. Money an issue?

Answering 'No' to both one and three makes the decision pretty much official.

get the 22 and use a 18 charcoal ring in it. less fuel use. I going to get a 14 ring for doing chicken on my 22.

Get the 22". I had the same conundrum when I bought my first one, decided to go 22". I just got my 2nd 22" because one wasn't big enough anymore. Now that I'm turning out consistently good Q, I find myself cooking for a lot more parties.

The 22" is fine on fuel usage, or if you really want to cut down get a 18" charcoal ring. The 22" is just super handy for fitting bigger cuts of meat. You can lay out 3 slabs of spares per grate. You can fit a monster brisket between the handles. You can fit 3 butts per grate laying flat. With the 18" you have to work a little harder to get things to fit.

If you like to host events (I do), I would strongly suggest the 22.5. I was lucky enough to be able to see both the 18 and 22.5 next to each other before buying. Yes, the 22.5 is big, but if you were to stand up my grill on it's end, they'd be about the same size. I also plan on running ribs and the 18 (just by eyeing it) seems like you'd need to roll them to get a full sized slab on it.

I was given the advise that you won't regret going bigger. With the 18, you'll always wonder...

i debated this for months, finally last week i just got the big one and its very nice. I assume you would never regret getting one thats too big.

Get the 22". I had the same conundrum when I bought my first one, decided to go 22". I just got my 2nd 22" because one wasn't big enough anymore. Now that I'm turning out consistently good Q, I find myself cooking for a lot more parties.

The 22" is fine on fuel usage, or if you really want to cut down get a 18" charcoal ring. The 22" is just super handy for fitting bigger cuts of meat. You can lay out 3 slabs of spares per grate. You can fit a monster brisket between the handles. You can fit 3 butts per grate laying flat. With the 18" you have to work a little harder to get things to fit.

Dave pretty much summed it up.

I have both and depending on the cook determines which one I fire up. But if I had to only have one --- the 22.5" all day long.

I went for the 22.5", you will find ways to fill it up. I try to space out my food with nice air gaps between them to help air flow, so having it bigger than I really need suits my cooking preference.

I've been going through the same dilemma. I was finally able to see the 18.5 at Lowes and decided the 22.5 was for me. I host lots of parties and like a few people mentioned, I don't always want to wonder "what if" Has anyone ordered from here before http://www.abielectronicsllc.com/Accessories/Grill---BBQ/WEB:731001
This is the lowest price I've found for the 22.5. I'm just not sure how reputable this place is. Please let me know, I'd like to place an order if this place is legit. Thanks

I've been researching WSM for a while now. I'm going to buy one but size not sure on. I plan to cook for family parties so is the 18.5 to small for that

I bought the 18.5" WSM back in 08, cause that's all we had.:) I've done parties with 6 butts over 50lbs and that particular WSM did it's job.
I have the 22.5" also and that does offer a plus as far as laying full racks of spares face down, but seriously ( and maybe I'm jaded) the 18.5" works well for my family of 5-6 with a little know how, and it's my everyday WSM.:wsm:

Tim

Back