Not a good first attempt with pulled pork

Excellent contributions everyone. Very informative.

Kevin- While I don't disagree with you (you obviously know much more about all this than I do), I still have a very difficult time accepting your statement: "Internal temp doesn't have much to do with doneness"

Not sure why, but it is so deeply ingrained in my mind. Chicken breasts are done at 165. Beef is done at 135. Etc. It seems like there has to be some official, unequivocal, data point to turn to to know if something is done.

I guess my question would be: what do we mean by "done"? Done as in safe to eat? Done meaning that it is most tender? Done in that it tastes the best?

To answer my own question, I am looking at safety when it comes to chicken. However, when it comes to beef, I'll admit that I'm being naive when looking for an official number to turn to for the DONE stamp of approval. As long as my beef isn't seeping blood, or ice cold in the center, I'm happy. So I really should be focused on tenderness (via probe) it seems.

I suppose my summary would be: once you pass the "safety temp", temperature is only a very rough guide. You should pull the meat when it feels as tender as you would like it to be (easy to pull, etc).

Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tim L.:
I suppose my summary would be: once you pass the "safety temp", temperature is only a very rough guide. You should pull the meat when it feels as tender as you would like it to be (easy to pull, etc).

Thanks!

I am not Kevin, but yes that's how you should do it. Once you know what 160 degrees looks like you won't even need to take the temp.

Take the temp to make sure the germs are dead. Then let it continue to cook until its tender. This really only applies to cheap cuts of beef and pork. If you have nice Rib Eye or prime rib you are going to cook to temperature and pull. Same for a chicken or a turkey, cook to temperature and then pull (provide other things are ok, such as crisp skin, no blood, etc...)

I am finding that the more I cook the less I need my thermometer. Its really good for learning new pieces of meat, but now I poke with a probe or I pull on a leg, or I poke to look for clear juices. All of these are better determinants of whether a piece of meat is 'done'.

I hope I didn't muddy the waters.

J is correct.

To expand a bit further, Tim:

Kevin- While I don't disagree with you (you obviously know much more about all this than I do), I still have a very difficult time accepting your statement: "Internal temp doesn't have much to do with doneness"

Believe me, this is common. Internal temps are bandied about with such intensity in so many places and for so long, that acceptance of my statement is not the norm. (Alas, I forge on...
icon_smile.gif
)

Not sure why, but it is so deeply ingrained in my mind. Chicken breasts are done at 165. Beef is done at 135. Etc. It seems like there has to be some official, unequivocal, data point to turn to to know if something is done.

Well, I was speaking of barbecue, particularly red meat barbecue, but this opens the door to a larger point.

Chicken breasts can be done at temps lower than 165 (much lower, actually - more about this shortly), and, though the same holds for the dark meat of chicken, it is often not so palatable at lower temps, but this depends on how long it was cooked (not the final temp - and more about this shortly).

If I was served a typical steak cooked to 135 internal I would send it back as overcooked.

In terms of barbecue, we usually think of 'done' as when the item in question is tender and moist. This, however, despite what one reads hither and yon, can occur at a variety of temps. And this is precisely what I mean when I say that internal temp doesn't have much to do with doneness. It doesn't. The amount of time is the key, not the internal temp. One temp or another might correlate with 'done', i.e. tender and moist, but it does not cause tender and moist - the time the item has cooked does, and this time is relative to the item, its size (especially its thickness), the overall cooktemp it cooked under.

I guess my question would be: what do we mean by "done"? Done as in safe to eat? Done meaning that it is most tender? Done in that it tastes the best?

To answer my own question, I am looking at safety when it comes to chicken. However, when it comes to beef, I'll admit that I'm being naive when looking for an official number to turn to for the DONE stamp of approval. As long as my beef isn't seeping blood, or ice cold in the center, I'm happy. So I really should be focused on tenderness (via probe) it seems.

Well, in terms of barbecue, yes you should.

Beef, btw, does not 'seep blood'. When slaughtering occurs blood is drained from the carcass. It is not blood one sees on one's plate. It is myoglobin - not the same thing.

This is not to say that internal temp always means nothing. If you know your cooker and know your meat, temp can certainly mean something. Many accomplished comp cooks work at this very thing (I had a discussion with Jim Minion about this years back): If one sets up the cooker the same way each time, fires it the same way each time, uses as best one can the same types of cuts (many comp cooks are quite specific about grades, sizes, etc.), quite often an internal temp (within a rather narrow range) can be use to indicate 'done'. However, this should not be confused with and does not mean that this temp caused done. It just correlated with it, based on the oft-repeated circumstances, items, and parameters employed.

People are very funny when it comes to chicken - as if it alone is something to be very concerned about. Though it is true that chicken can be (and often is) contaminated throughout the carcass, there are numerous other bacterially oriented problematic issues that occur with it - and every other cut of meat one might cook.

Well, yes. But safety temps are not carved in stone, as one might be led to believe reading umpteen hundred - thousands! - of posts, websites (including the FDA's), books, articles, food packaging labels and so forth. This is NOT the case. Specific temps - like chicken breast at 165 (ridiculous, imo - I never take them that high!), or pork at 160 - or whatever they're pushing these days - is neither the be-all, end-all, to safety, nor is accurate.

Pasteurization - the process of heating (cooking, perhaps) food items to the point where they are safe to consume, is a process of time. A given temperature - for a specific period of time, or longer - is when pasteurization occurs. Higher temps mean much shorter times. This is why specific, high temps are repeated so often: it's easy to do, conveniently dumbed down for the masses, easy to repeat - over and over again, ad nauseum.

This is possibly only confusing you further. Rather than go on any longer than I have - this is probably enough to digest in one sitting - let me point you to another post specifically on pasteurization. It is somewhat lengthy, but I think it is clear (I hope so anyway). It may help you understand more fully what I am saying. If you have any questions about anything above, post them in this thread. If you develop questions regarding the pasteurization thread, post them there.

It might take a couple read-throughs if you are unfamiliar with this sort of thing, but I think you'll get the difference between reality and the oft-repeated fairly readily. The post is here.

Well Kevin that is one great post!

Almost "sticky" material. Love the time you put in to a post and how correct it is.

*personal thoughts*
I think pork loin is superb at 160(rested temp) higer then needed..Sure...But still super moist and the right firmness to the meat.

And lets say oisters/grav lax thats something safe,but i wouldent put in my mouth couse i dont like the texture. But that is all personal preference.

Keep it up Kev.

Kevin,

Love the post you linked to. If I had any sort of memory, Alton addressed this same issue on one of his shows, but I can't remember which one.

Thanks!!

Read through all the references and saved them for printing this time. Thanks Kevin! You had one rather thorough post a ways back that spoke to the concerns about chicken, temps, and safety specifically. I remember it specifically mentioning redness close to the bone and where that comes from, etc. Haven't been able to find it again.

These sorts of references, would be nice if they were kept up on the resources/info section of the site.

I would love a spreadsheet/image of the internal temps & times for food pasteurization for 5d, 6.5d, 7d, & 12d.

I could easily do it for 5d, 6.5d and 7d since it's listed on the other post, but I am not sure about the 12d nor if there are any other levels in between that should be listed as well.

It might be a good idea to add a food safety forum (like charcaturie [sp!]) or the new photos section.....

These sorts of references, would be nice if they were kept up on the resources/info section of the site.[/QUOTE]

Or a sticky!

As a comp cook I appreciate that Kevin pointed out that temp does in fact have its purpose in BBQ. We try to cook the same sized meats, at certain temps, for very strict turn in times. We do have set temperatures figured out for when we would probe for tenderness. We have found that more often than not, our meats are done & tender, really close to our check points. That is from lots of practice, and quality meat IMHO..

I've kind of locked into the 1.25-1.50 hours per pound @ 250 lid temp for butts.

Yes I do check the internal temp of the butts. And while I shoot for 195, I won't pull off the smoker until it has been on there 1.25-1.50 hours per pound.

I'm still learning on the WSM, but it seems so each to lock the temp in. And it seems to me that at times, butts just need more time to render out the fat. I use to always pull as soon as internal reached 195. I got inconsistent results. Now I use it as a guide. And also check as noted....much more consistent results.

so I have one more question:

If you put 2 butts together, do you measure the time for both of them together? or is it doubled since there's 2 of them? for instance, 1 butt, someone mentioned it may take a little bit over 1 hour per pound. If you put 2 butts, would it be 2 hours a pound since there's 2 of them? (1 hour each butt?) or it's 1 hour per both butts put together per pound?

Joel

Its like this,

If you have one 6lb butt it will take 6 hours.

If you have two 6 lb butts it will take 12 hours.

The reality is that it will most likely take less than that, but that's your rule of thumb. Total amount of meat is what is used.

No, it most definitely is not. That goes utterly against experience, logic - and physics.

If you're cooking at a higher temp butts can take an hour/pound or so; longer at lower temps. Other than it taking a bit longer to get to target cooktemp because of the large mass of meat, cooking time remains the pretty much the same irrespective of the number of butts - or any other meats - you're cooking.

I was using it as a rule of thumb, but of course you are right Kevin.

So I would expect it to take about 8 hours or so to be done.

My short time cooking butts says it takes about 8 - 10 hours to cook 20lbs of butt on a kettle. If I am at 225 - 300 ...

Kevin is right, I do a lot of big cooks. Once up to temp they will be done in the same time as 1. The more mass the longer it takes to get to your target. If your a water user and doing more than say 2 butts you can skip the water (heat sink), if you wish and go with a dry foiled pan. The meat will be your heat sink.

Originally posted by Joel Oliva:
so what temp would you recommend if cooking 2 butts together on the top grate?

Depends, what time do you want to eat? What is your schedule the previous 24hrs?

Back