Nomex or Cajun Badit door?

Steven Tree

I've been using my 18.5 WSM for a couple years now and love it but it doesn't seem to seal very well around the door. Makes it a little tougher to hold a consistent temp. I also just ordered the party Q and want to make sure the door is sealed up well so I'm not spinning my wheels with that. I've read about using nomex and the replacement doors from Cajun Bandit. What has been everyone's experience with these? Is one better than the other?

No gaskets, but the CB doors on both of my wsm's fit tight as a drum. I don't have the compression latches, and will confess that I had to replace the handle on my 22 a while back.

I have the replacement doors from Cajun Bandit on my 14.5, 18.5, and 22.5 (without any compression latches) WSMs, and will tell you that they fit and seal (after my first cooks) like a glove. I will also tell you that Harry Soo has them on his WSM's (I had the great pleasure to experinec that the past weekend in part taking in his class).

Steven, I went with the bandit door only for looks...
a little smoke leakage is not gonna upset me OR interfere with a cook.

you can spend lots of time and more dough trying to "lock in" the smoke... but really... what are you gonna gain out of it?

go with the flow and keep it simple to the point where you can ENJOY your smokes rather than work on them.

Steve I have used Nomex on both 18's I owned. It worked great especially sealing the lower end of the mid section where it fits the bowl. As for the door on the 18 you should be able to shape it to fit. I put a small piece of Nomex against the inside of the mid section at the bottom of the door to take up the slack there during opening. Works like a charm when cooking. I also did the upper mid section where the lid rests. I can snuff a fire in minutes to save fuel after a cook and have absolute temp control. I use lump and the Nomex aids in temp control.
I've been very happy with the Nomex. BBQ Gaskets.com Justin is the fellow I have dealt with a few times. He is very accommodating.

I've been using my 18.5 WSM for a couple years now and love it but it doesn't seem to seal very well around the door. Makes it a little tougher to hold a consistent temp. I also just ordered the party Q and want to make sure the door is sealed up well so I'm not spinning my wheels with that. I've read about using nomex and the replacement doors from Cajun Bandit. What has been everyone's experience with these? Is one better than the other?

Steven,I have an 18.5 wsm and I did the comp. latch,cajun door and the nomex gaskets around the door and the seat where the lids rest and its super tight.go for it<you will be happy you did.

Back