No Lump?

Drew S

Just purchased my first WSM, the 14.5 to take camping with me. My intention is to be able to use it both as a smokey joe grill and as a smoker. I've been making Q for a number of years, first on a Smoke Hollow propane smoker, and the last year or so on a Masterbuilt Dual Fuel Charcoal/Propane smoker. With the Masterbuilt, I always use lump charcoal. The WSM manual says that lump charcoal is not recommended. Why is that?

It also had a warning regarding lighter fluid soaked charcoal, I'm assuming this is "match-light," suggesting using it could cause bodily harm. What's the deal with this? I don't typically use match-light, but it's actually really handy for getting camp fires going when the wood's a little wet.

Lump is fine in the wsm, but I think they're trying to advise folks to take the easiest, most consistent fuel and stick with briquettes. The high heat benefits of lump are wasted in the wsm since you are almost always reining in temps with a low oxygen supply. Also, briquettes might be more consistent in lighting adjacent briquettes as needed.

The warning about lighter fluid soaked charcoal is probably to guard against getting a lighter fluid taste/seasoning on the walls of the wsm. Many folks claim to be able to detect an off taste when lighter fluid is used in a smoker and some folks claim to be able to taste it for an extended period even after lighter fluid is no longer used. I haven't used lighter fluid for years but don't remember being able to taste it back when I used it, and I know some BBQ comp teams still use it.

Last edited:
lump is all i have been burning in my 14.5, they say not to because its not as uniform and consistant.

The heat from lump stoked to one side and burning really hot has been known to discolour and damage the finish on the bowl so Weber says not to use it. This gives them an out in case of a warranty claim.

Liability is also the reason for the fluid warning. Saves them from the idiot that soaks the briquettes with fluid and immediately leans into it with a match while trying to get a close look at it lighting up and burns all the hair off their face.

It's a cover your butt world out there folks.

The heat from lump stoked to one side and burning really hot has been known to discolour and damage the finish on the bowl so Weber says not to use it. This gives them an out in case of a warranty claim....It's a cover your butt world out there folks.

Then why don't they recommend against using lump in their grills? :confused:

Using lighter fluid in a cooker with limited air flow like a WSM could result in a buildup of flammable vapors, I shouldn't have to explain why this can be bad. Of course making sure all the fluid burns off before putting everything together would prevent problems but I'm sure Weber doesn't want to risk being liable for the one person who tries to light the fluid soaked charcoal while the cooker is assembled.

Back