No double wall Lumin lid?

Steven M

Hello. I just bought a Weber Lumin (the bigger version, not the compact).

I was surprised to see there's no double walled lid, when I'm sure that I saw this as a feature on the pictures and reviews.

Did Weber change the design or do I have a part missing in the delivery?

IDK what material it's made out of but if it's made of a casting I don't think it's practical or necessary to double it. It it is a sheet metal stamping than it's suspect

IDK what material it's made out of but if it's made of a casting I don't think it's practical or necessary to double it. It it is a sheet metal stamping than it's suspect
It's enameled sheet metal. It's the same kind of thing as a Weber kettle. It's probably tolerant of 600f, which is the maximum the grill heats to.

Insulation is unlikely to be an issue, because the grill heats to 600f within about 10 mins and this is unlikely to degrade like a gas grill getting greased up burners.

The problem is more that that there are the ends of the bolts, where the lid handle joins, all around the rim and these will be a lot more difficult to clean than the smooth surface of a double wall.

I'm wondering if Weber started with a double wall and then cheaped out at some stage, changing the design. Or if I have a defective product with something missing.

As an aside, the stand that comes with the grill is horribly wobbly. I'm shocked that Weber would put their name to it. Did they get taken over recently?

Here is a pic of the Lumin from our USA site:

1704199827311.png

And here is the schematic, showing liners. Is yours built differently?

1704199964465.png

Yes, mine is different.

Lid liner (part) 5 is clearly missing. (See first photo)

But it's also missing from some of Weber's publicity photos (see second photo).

I'm not sure what to do. Take it back to shop, ask Weber for the missing part or accept it as it is.

I've contacted Weber Switzerland for their reply but it's a holiday here and until they reply, I don't know whether to use the grill or not, it being a holiday and I'm hungry.

Attachments

• PXL_20240101_180038319.jpg
    PXL_20240101_180038319.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240102-140146.png
    Screenshot_20240102-140146.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
To me yours looks double-walled but just configured differently (or by some means at least has a dead air space). But maybe I'm not visualizing it accurately.

Thanks both for your replies. Maybe my photography needs some work, but there's definitely no double wall.

I received a reply from Weber Switzerland saying there is no double walled lid, with the same photo as I attached above, as proof.

The schematic in the EMEA instructions, attached also shows no double wall.

In conclusion, I think the double walled lid is USA only, which is bizarre.

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_091640998.jpg
    PXL_20240103_091640998.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
There's a pointless chromed metal band running around the outside of the lid.

It doesn't seem to do anything as the handle and the hinges are bolted to the lid.

Here is my theory on the double wall in the US vs overseas. The standard home power overseas in most places is 220V. Therefore, the Lumin is able to draw plenty of power to get very hot, very fast. In the US on our standard 110V current, the Lumin grills struggle to get up to and maintain their heat level even at max draw from our 110V outlets. So, to compensate, Weber has added the liners to aid in retaining more heat inside the grill.

I think you nailed it, Bruce.
Yes, good thoughts Bruce.

Wouldn't it be nice if vendors shared some detail like this when consumers reach-out to them with concerns? Seems like it would have the potential for increasing sales, improve customer satisfaction levels, reduce returns and negative hype... all of which could also improve profitability.

I would look on the lid to see if there are holes for the mounting screws. My guess is that yes, there is and your grill is the same, just without the liner. If not, there is probably a place where the holes could be drilled and Weber just did not drill them for grills destined to 220/240V land.

Yes, good thoughts Bruce.

Wouldn't it be nice if vendors shared some detail like this when consumers reach-out to them with concerns? Seems like it would have the potential for increasing sales, improve customer satisfaction levels, reduce returns and negative hype... all of which could also improve profitability.
It would have been more honest, but I don't think it would be good pr for Weber to admit, either that their USA grills are underpowered (approx 1500w compared with Europe's 2200w due to the voltage difference) or that they cheaped out on the double wall for Euro grills, which although unnecessary for heat retention, would have made it easier to clean.

Of course, the above views are only a negative perspective. If the USA/euro grills all get to 600c, then they achieve the advertised claim.

Regarding the retrofit, I don't know how the liner attaches. There are enough bolt holes in the lid due to the way the chrome lid band is attached. As I mentioned before, this band only appears decorative without the lid liner to attach to it.

It could be that they are trying to hide the fact that they are cheaping out on the AUS grills or are dealing with underpowered US grills, but more likely, anyone you talked to at Weber C/S in your own country is not familiar with overseas differences.

It could be that they are trying to hide the fact that they are cheaping out on the AUS grills or are dealing with underpowered US grills, but more likely, anyone you talked to at Weber C/S in your own country is not familiar with overseas differences.
Agreed

Back