No charcoal at Costco

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Went to Costco today (Central Point, OR) As expected, no charcoal in stock. So it's wait until spring when they restock.

No biggie though. I needed a couple more twin packs to get us through until the Memorial Day Sales next year (they have to resume, eventually), so I went to Lowe's and got 2 KBB twin packs.

If you feel like a cross country ride, the Costco I was in today in Lake Zurich IL had lots of charcoal.

There hasn't been any sales reductions of KBB twin packs (i.e. $9.99) since 2019 or earlier, I wouldn't hold my breathe!

Went to Costco today (Central Point, OR) As expected, no charcoal in stock. So it's wait until spring when they restock.

No biggie though. I needed a couple more twin packs to get us through until the Memorial Day Sales next year (they have to resume, eventually), so I went to Lowe's and got 2 KBB twin packs.
Don't forget that Tractor Supply carries Cowboy...I've found it to be very good.

I’m a big fan of the Costco Kpro, I’ll stock up next year when they go back on sale. I have 6 bags for now. I’ve been mixing it with some lump so it should last.

It’s probably Eric's Fault, as stated in previous threads.

If you feel like a cross country ride, the Costco I was in today in Lake Zurich IL had lots of charcoal.
Well, bob that's the store I go to which means we are geographically close to each other.

It’s probably Eric's Fault, as stated in previous threads.
I will have you know, I was at my local Academy Sports yesterday & I only bought one bag of B & B lump. I actually left the other 10 bags of B & B orange on the shelf, even though they only cost $8.99/bag, it was hard to pass on, but I restrained myself.

I will have you know, I was at my local Academy Sports yesterday & I only bought one bag of B & B lump. I actually left the other 10 bags of B & B orange on the shelf, even though they only cost $8.99/bag, it was hard to pass on, but I restrained myself.
Atta boy, saving some for the rest of us.
I got my dozen bags of jealous devil in yesterday.
I currently have 16 bags full and 3 open bags to keep me going for a bit.
I want enough to go through all winter but I don’t have the room for another dozen.....and they are damn expensive.
Up here I pay $40 for 1 bag plus 15% tax on it.
I find it hard not to use though, going to the $20 bags I always find something I don’t like about it.
Tons of small pieces, snapping and popping ect....JD tastes excellent, burns at 250 in my kettle if I want for a long time and it gets insane hot, hotter than I should cook at. My unusable from the JD bag is very small, I like that a lot.
Generally for my smokes I have been using Weber bricks....while they do a good job, the amount of ash is insane.
An almost full E6 will fill an empty ash catcher to overflowing when I go to clean it up, it’s messy is about the only downfall on that for me.
I have 4 more bags of that to go which may be 6 to 8 more big smokes then off to try something else.
My local bbq joint has JD bricks, but I don’t know a lot about them.
.?? Anyone use them before?

Super nice.
I see your theory, but someone could be 100% out. You know a casual griller, all of us types have enough to get us through until next Christmas......:ROFLMAO:

We’ve been using JD XL exclusively for the past few weeks and absolutely love it. I used it on ribs and char siu and it barely burned much in the lower E6 position.

And in the char baskets, around 3/4 of a full size Weber chimney is enough to fill the baskets and allow for the cook grate to spin unimpeded.

The ash produced is like 1/15th of Kxx products and the smoke is super clean.

As for JD briqs, I’d be curious how they’re held together. Likely with some kind of binder.

Yeah super clean, I love it.
The bricks I think are massive, I think I seen a side by side somewhere.
I have yet to do a 12 hour smoke with JD lump, but have full intention on trying it.
Probably get through the Weber stuff first to I may not go back.
How much is it in your area Brett?

Yeah super clean, I love it.
The bricks I think are massive, I think I seen a side by side somewhere.
I have yet to do a 12 hour smoke with JD lump, but have full intention on trying it.
Probably get through the Weber stuff first to I may not go back.
How much is it in your area Brett?
It’s $49.50 + tax for the 35# bag. I get it discounted through a good friend. Just have to buy 10 bags at a time. @DanHoo was kind to join my last buy so I didn’t have to store 10 bags of it.

Nice price, I get only the 20 pound option......or maybe it’s slightly less......and yeah $40
I would buy 10 plus bags at once if I could get it for 30 or lower......

Same thing today at the Costco in Fountain Valley ....NO Kingsford charcoal.... just pellets for a Traeger :(

Here where I live in Canada, I have yet to find charcoal at Costco… ever…. as in ever. They only carry new propane tanks and Traeger pellets.

Yep, out of it here too, there was a guy hawking Traeger poopers with mountains of pellets but, not a bag of black in sight.
I suppose I will head to Lowe’s for a few bags to get me through if I need to.
I’m not planning more than a couple of major projects (6-7) until spring, most of it will be smaller kettle work. Less WSM long smokes…oh, who am I singing this chorus to? I’ll just go tend these flappers:
1ECA1ACB-966C-4C07-8FF4-CF20C58C405C.jpeg
I have not done full wings for an age, this just struck me as easier tonight. I’m going to have some sausages alongside.

Back