1/2 cup broth
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup dried cherries
1 jalapeño
Juice of one lemon

simmer all but juice
off heat add lemon juice
use a blender to incorporate cherries and jalapeño into sauce

Your choice. I needed broth to make dressing and did not have the bones of a good stock.....so......I used 3 parts chicken bouilllon to one part beef added to water. It was enhanced with cut up fresh veggies (onion, celery, carrot...). I used what was leftover for the sauce.

I've been working for a couple of years on a "sweet heat" sauce that met my expectations. I just finished an annual cook for a United Way work day at my office. Fed about 55 folks (brisket, butts, & boneless thighs). I have always featured homemade sauces and they were well received. This year was finally "it" for the Sweet Heat and Big Daddy's Carolina Mustard sauces.

The Sweet Heat was the basic #5 sauce, plus:
1/4 c. brisket drippings
4 T. backstrap molasses
4 T. honey
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
Sirachi sauce (to taste)

I simmered the sauce with everything, except the Sirachi sauce, let it cool and flavors meld overnight. I then began to add Sirachi and a bit more Cayenne to taste (I didn't record the amounts, but will in the future and update this post).

The two keys to this "success" was the combo of the Sirachi and Cayenne - it allowed the sweet to hit the palate and then the heat came through afterward, with some staying power. The second, was not adding the Sirachi until after the cooking process. Previously, the cooking dramatically reduced the "heat" factor after the sauce cooled.

I made a double batch, and had < 1/4 cup left. They loved it and the Big Daddy's.

I think next up will be adding Steve P's favorite..... dried cherries. I'm thinking a cherry based Sweet Heat, might be off the scale...!!

#5 was quick and simple to make, and it tastes great. I have tried several recipes and was disappointed with all of them...but not this time. Thanks!
Mike

I made No 5 sauce yesterday as the sauce to my maiden voyage with my new 18.5 in WSM. Used it on pulled pork. It was fantastic. I definitely simmered it for a while (2 hours probably) to thicken it up. I'll be making this one again. Nice work.

I was forced into another variation last week. I ran out of catsup, and substituted BBQ sauce and homemade chipotle sauce instead. It had more vinegar and heat to it. I really liked it. My proportions were approximately 1 oz catsup, 3 oz Jack Daniels sauce and 4 oz chipotle sauce.

Jr, I never use ketchup in my variation of the #5. I use some bottle sauce that I like from around here. The bottled sauce is great on its own!!!

No. 5 Sauce...Raspberry Style !

Substitue brown sugar with Smucker's Red Raspberry jam

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup Red Raspberry Jam
1 T rub
1 T worcestershire sauce

finish off heat with juice of 1/2 lime

I like the Raspberry flavor!

Pineapple has to be next.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve!
You inspired me to make a sauce today, and it's looking pretty good.
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar (a bit less than 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tlb's Worchester sauce
1 tlb's dijon mustard
1 tlb's honey
1 tlb's pickle juice
1 tsp rub o mine
1/2 tsp beef paste
few cranks of fresh ground pepper

simmer 15 mins, will try it out on some country style pork ribs in a bit......
Al

Last edited:
Here's a variant of #5 Sauce I made today. It's a pineapple-habanero sauce.

1 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 8oz can Dole crushed pineapple
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of Dave's Gourmet habanero pepper flakes (habanero powder would work as well)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper

Add all ingredients to a food processor to process the pineapple and habanero down very small. Then transfer to a pot and stir while on medium heat. After doing this for several minutes, turn range to simmer or low setting and leave for 35 minutes.

I think it came out pretty well. If anything I would maybe add some straight pineapple juice to make the sauce a little thinner. It is a bit thick for my taste. It was originally created for pulled pork, but I think it is better for using as a basting sauce on grilled chicken.

I show the habanero as a range because I'm not 100% sure how much I added. I would start with 1/2 tsp, then taste. Add more if not hot enough. Be careful to process the mixture very well to disperse the habanero as much as possible throughout the sauce. If you don't, you could run the risk of getting a bite of FIRE that will mess you up!!

Here's a variant of #5 Sauce I made today. It's a pineapple-habanero sauce.

1 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 8oz can Dole crushed pineapple
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of Dave's Gourmet habanero pepper flakes (habanero powder would work as well)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper

Add all ingredients to a food processor to process the pineapple and habanero down very small. Then transfer to a pot and stir while on medium heat. After doing this for several minutes, turn range to simmer or low setting and leave for 35 minutes.

I think it came out pretty well. If anything I would maybe add some straight pineapple juice to make the sauce a little thinner. It is a bit thick for my taste. It was originally created for pulled pork, but I think it is better for using as a basting sauce on grilled chicken.

I show the habanero as a range because I'm not 100% sure how much I added. I would start with 1/2 tsp, then taste. Add more if not hot enough. Be careful to process the mixture very well to disperse the habanero as much as possible throughout the sauce. If you don't, you could run the risk of getting a bite of FIRE that will mess you up!!

With that much liquid, you could get away with skipping the hab powder and go with a real hab (or scotch bonnet). Plop the whole (de-stemmed) pepper in and grind it along with everything else in the blender. MMMMM!

You are right, that is definitely an option. I tried cooking with fresh habs once and it freaked me out a little bit. I started choking from the fumes when I cut them open and didn't like that too much.

I mainly cook with dried peppers as it seems to be safer.

Woof! Thanks for this recipe. I can't make enough of this stuff. As soon as I make a batch I turn around and it is gone. My kids are putting it on everything! I am firing up the big offset smoker for an Independence day cook. I'm going to have to make a gallon to have enough left over to mop my brisket...

My variation uses 1/3 cup cider vinegar (I like it a bit sweeter). I have also added 1 tbs minced garlic to a batch and it was very good. Another version used 1/3 cup bourbon (maybe I will try SoCo in the future) to great effect...

Regards,

John

Big Batch of No. 5

8 cups ketchup
5 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
5 tablespoons soy sauce (ran out of worcestershire....)
10 tablespoons rub
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple (blended w/ vinegar until smooth)
6 lemons juice

I used a large can (restaurant type) for the ketchup-quite a bit of ketchup leftover...much cheaper way to buy.

A variation that we like (Christine isn't a fan of cider vinegar) substitutes Balsamic vinegar. It doesn't need to be expensive - we buy a 0.5 liter bottle for $3.99 from Teitel Brothers in New York.

It makes a darker color - a ruddy brown - and is quite delicious.

#5 sauce

Just made and consumed this for the first time and it was easy and excellent. Note that I did use a dash of cayenne pepper for a little zing.

Back