Niece's request, rush towards dinner

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
While doing some consignment store shopping with the family this afternoon, my niece said, hey Uncle Mike what's for dinner?" Half joking, half serious I said "whatever you tell me to make." Without a heartbeat lapse in time she said, "your mac and cheese, and can you make me my favorite chicken to go with it?" Her favorite chicken is pulled smoked whole chicken, I looked at the clock, it will be tight but sure let's do it! We run to the store, while there my niece saw corn on the cob, asked for that too, I was like absolutely, got home and as the WSM was heating up I prepped this guy. Injected with a mix of peach nectar, hot sauce, and bbq seasoning, then seasoning the meat, the skin and the underside up.
IMG_20240421_165502.jpg

Onto the WSM 14 , went water-pan-less. Chicken went on at 225 and it hit 400 by the time the chicken was done. Here is at first check.
IMG_20240421_181717.jpg

I was willing it to get done in time and...right on time done... ok maybe a little behind targeted dinner time.
IMG_20240421_184934.jpg

Pulled.
IMG_20240421_195311.jpg

And served with the requested Mac and cheese and first corn on the cob of the year. This is my plate, but I wish I took a picture of my nieces the Mac and cheese took up half the plate, I thought she will never eat all that,well she did and asked for more and had two ears of corn and seconds of chicken.
IMG_20240421_190504.jpg

I have to say that was by far the best pulled chicken I have ever made. I used more hot sauce in the injection, injected more, and used a good bit more seasoning on the outside and both come through. Super tender, juicy, and amazingly flavorful. The corn was excellent for this early also.

That was a great meal and it made my niece super happy.

Happy Sunday everyone!

To me the food is always good but really makes it a meal it's making the family happy. Thanks for sharing it's a great story
Randy,
I could not agree more, cook food for those we love makes the food taste twice as good, last night was one of those nights.

While doing some consignment store shopping with the family this afternoon, my niece said, hey Uncle Mike what's for dinner?" Half joking, half serious I said "whatever you tell me to make." Without a heartbeat lapse in time she said, "your mac and cheese, and can you make me my favorite chicken to go with it?" Her favorite chicken is pulled smoked whole chicken, I looked at the clock, it will be tight but sure let's do it! We run to the store, while there my niece saw corn on the cob, asked for that too, I was like absolutely, got home and as the WSM was heating up I prepped this guy. Injected with a mix of peach nectar, hot sauce, and bbq seasoning, then seasoning the meat, the skin and the underside up.
View attachment 89614

Onto the WSM 14 , went water-pan-less. Chicken went on at 225 and it hit 400 by the time the chicken was done. Here is at first check.
View attachment 89615

I was willing it to get done in time and...right on time done... ok maybe a little behind targeted dinner time.
View attachment 89616

Pulled.
View attachment 89617

And served with the requested Mac and cheese and first corn on the cob of the year. This is my plate, but I wish I took a picture of my nieces the Mac and cheese took up half the plate, I thought she will never eat all that,well she did and asked for more and had two ears of corn and seconds of chicken.
View attachment 89618

I have to say that was by far the best pulled chicken I have ever made. I used more hot sauce in the injection, injected more, and used a good bit more seasoning on the outside and both come through. Super tender, juicy, and amazingly flavorful. The corn was excellent for this early also.

That was a great meal and it made my niece super happy.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Great looking plate!

Do you need an aging nephew?

This is what BBQ and family are all about, nice job, chicken looks to be nice and moist, love BBQ corn on the cob also.

Back