Next rehab project...two questions

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I finished up my first rehab of the season and I am just waiting for the new SS rod grates to arrive so I can take photos and list it for sale.

So, that brings me to my next project. I have another Silver B in the garage that I want to do before I get the trailer of grills stored in my back yard. It is a Green Head. Some might remember the Silver A green head that I recently picked up for free. It got me thinking. What about a Dad (Silver B) and Son (Silver A) type theme by rehabbing both and offering them as a pair??? I guess I could list them as a pair for one price and separate for another price.

Let me know what you guys think about that. But, that brings me to my next issue. Upon dissasembly, I realized the Silver B lid has a small rust spot on the front bottom of the lid. Do I try to dress it up and try to find some green high temp paint to cover it or do I just abandon the lid altogether....which would like wise kill the Dad/Son thing as well. I do have a couple other lids I could swap in...Red I think.

Here is a couple photos to show you the rust spot. Let me know what you thing on this as well.

F3Qo7IB.jpg

rN0gWTP.jpg

Bruce,
I wouldn’t let that small blemish derail your creative idea. I would get the rust off, tape it carefully so that you only paint the spot, and do enough coats that you can buff it out after it has cured for at least a week. It will be secure and hardly noticeable.

I really like your idea. Probably not a lot of potential buyers looking for two grills, but as long as you give the separate purchase price option I think it will be a creative marketing angle that will draw some attention. You never know, somebody crazy like me might come along!

;)

It is an interesting idea. But the market may be very limited. I have had not luck selling my green grill. I even tried it as a sports grill and decorated it with some items such as cover, grill mat from the local hockey team since their team color is green. But no response. As soon as a put a SS lid on it sold fast. Now I have a green lid and don’t know what to do with it. lol

Do what Jon said about the paint procedure. You will likely not find an exact match to the paint.
Your lid will likely be darker. If so, add a very small drop of hi-temp black to the hi-temp green.
You may also want to take some hi-temp clear over the top afterward.

I would stick to selling each one individually. As soon I start trying to pair things up,
or even ad things on, I end up shortchanging myself. I would also think that most
anyone that would want 2 Gennie's already posts on this board. :D

Bruce,
I wouldn’t let that small blemish derail your creative idea. I would get the rust off, tape it carefully so that you only paint the spot, and do enough coats that you can buff it out after it has cured for at least a week. It will be secure and hardly noticeable.

I really like your idea. Probably not a lot of potential buyers looking for two grills, but as long as you give the separate purchase price option I think it will be a creative marketing angle that will draw some attention. You never know, somebody crazy like me might come along!

;)

Jon, I was hoping there was someone like you living around me looking for something a little different. :)

Anyone know of a source for a dark green high temp paint that would be suitable?

Anyone know of a source for a dark green high temp paint that would be suitable?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00166QR3G/tvwb-20

NOT CHEAP. Hope you have Amazon Points on a credit card! Zoro also has it for $6.04, but unless you buy other stuff, the shipping will get you again.

Dave's recommendation about mixing in some high heat black sounds like a great idea to me. As small as this is, you could spray both colors into a small paper cup until you get the shade you want and then apply with an artist's brush. It is small enough that a small difference in color isn't going to end the game. I would just stay away from the porcelain and try to make the paint into a patch for damage spot only.

Jon, I am not sure that would match too well. It seems almost like a metallic color. But, maybe a bit of black mixed in would do it. ???? Anyway, I think I will try that since I can always use it to repaint one of my Q rehabs. Seems like people like different colors on them and I live in the middle of Green Bay Packer country, so a green Q might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Jon, I am not sure that would match too well. It seems almost like a metallic color. But, maybe a bit of black mixed in would do it. ???? Anyway, I think I will try that since I can always use it to repaint one of my Q rehabs. Seems like people like different colors on them and I live in the middle of Green Bay Packer country, so a green Q might be a good idea.

I am seeing some Packers stuff on your grills when you advertise them!:cool:

I am not sure how a TEAL grill would work and whether a Dolphins tie-in would even be a good idea:eek:!

I am not much into football, but I did stick to my Florida ways while living in Chicago including 1985 when I warned all the Bears fans at the company we were auditing that Miami (then still in the Orange Bowl) was a tough place to play against the Dolphins. You may or may not remember, but the fish handed the Bears their only defeat that year (preserving Miami as the only team with a perfect record), and many who were there said the fan volume was unbelievable and that the fans clearly helped contribute to the Dolphin's victory. It was such a shame that Miami choked in the play-offs, because a rematch in the Super Bowl may have gone down as one of the best.

Anyway, I am not too sure about a teal grill, even though I actually like the color.

It is a pity that there are no tiny packages with high heat touch up paint. I hate buying a large spray can for a tiny patch job.

Bruce I think even black paint would be a heck of a lot better than rust, it is a small spot and when it's cleaned up it will hardly be noticeable. My approach would be sand, POR-15 then black hi temp paint.

Probably so THyde. I already have the green on the way and I will give that a shot. Even if the shade is off, it should be better than black on a green lid. But, yah, even black would be better than a rust spot IMO.

Is POR15 rated for high temp???

Probably so THyde. I already have the green on the way and I will give that a shot. Even if the shade is off, it should be better than black on a green lid. But, yah, even black would be better than a rust spot IMO.

Is POR15 rated for high temp???

Per amazon.com it's heat resistant up to 450F/232C.

I know they make a high temp. version that can withstand up to 1200F but kind of pricey and am not sure if it comes in black...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00J6C1C5U/tvwb-20

They make a "Manifold Gray". But this is what gets confusing with products like Por15 and Eastwoods. They make many products, not just the rust encapsulator. The stuff you are linking to is "Paint". It is not designed to neutralize rust per se. Eastwood makes a ton of ancilliary products as well besides the rust encapsulator that they are known for. An just using their names makes it confusing as to exactly what product you are dealing with.

I agree with THyde that the high heat POR-15 would be a classy solution. Just be careful with that stuff. It isn't the easiest to clean up after and you need to be diligent in properly reclosing the can so you can use it again. Ask me how I know these things:rolleyes:. This would be too pricey for just this grill, but I believe it would be a great product to have in the arsenal for other grill repairs.

I would agree that black would be way better than rust, but if you were able to mix black and green that would be even better. I used regular Testor's model paint on my Skyline white and red logo colors and after quite a bit of use haven't seen any issues. I really believe you could get by with mixing high heat black and a little from a bottle of dark green Testor's model paint and have no problem at all. If you have a Hobby Lobby or some kind of old-time model/hobby shop nearby, that might be a much less pricey way to get some green into your patch without paying for a whole spray can and high shipping.

I already have that can of Rusto green high heat on the way. I will see how that works before I go with any other solution.

I have had that happen on a red head I had. I cleaned it down with lacquer thinner and hit it with International Red color high heat gloss in the chipped area. Color wise an exact match to the old red head color but no matter what I did it always would pop off and need to be redone.

I cleaned up the rust today with a dremel and then put some rustoleum rust reformer in the spot with a Q tip. Probably Friday, I will be putting some of the green High heat over it.

attFxH3.jpg

GyzMrhU.jpg

Back