Next Refurb on Deck. Silver C

Bobby Segars

TVWBB Super Fan
Moving on to my next Refurb. It's never been cleaned as you can see from the pictures. I dont believe I have ever seen one this gnarly. I broke it down today and scraped out the cook box and the end caps and got those ready for sand blasting.

Need to see what everyone recommends on the big tray under the cook box. It has rusted but not all the way through. I scraped it out and found out it is pitted with surface rust.

This one is built a little different then the others I have redone. A little easier in some ways than the older Gen 1000s and Silver Bs. I have never messed with one that has a side burner. I'll have to work my way through that.

Bobby

Attachments

• 20200503_122745.jpg
    20200503_122745.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200503_122716.jpg
    20200503_122716.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200503_122711.jpg
    20200503_122711.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200503_122706.jpg
    20200503_122706.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200503_122655.jpg
    20200503_122655.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200503_122649.jpg
    20200503_122649.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 24
Bobby,
Are you talking about the main large drip tray or the bottom flat attached to legs?

At least you can still buy replacements for either of these Silver parts. The 1000 drip trays are no longer available as a new replacement. Hopefully, you can do some cleanup of the drip tray and just season over the minor damage. I would never paint the inside of a firebox, but I have used a few spots of high heat black to touch up a drip tray.

The bottom may be a harder thing because it is so visible. A rough repair will look like, well, a rough repair. If you have the equipment and patience you might be able to sand down, even use some bondo, and then repaint like on a car. I guess you have to decide how much time and effort that will take vs. buying a new one (that will also rust out in time) from Weber. Maybe a better fix would be to scrap the tray and install two horizontal frame tubes to support the legs.

Bobby,
Are you talking about the main large drip tray or the bottom flat attached to legs?

At least you can still buy replacements for either of these Silver parts. The 1000 drip trays are no longer available as a new replacement. Hopefully, you can do some cleanup of the drip tray and just season over the minor damage. I would never paint the inside of a firebox, but I have used a few spots of high heat black to touch up a drip tray.

The bottom may be a harder thing because it is so visible. A rough repair will look like, well, a rough repair. If you have the equipment and patience you might be able to sand down, even use some bondo, and then repaint like on a car. I guess you have to decide how much time and effort that will take vs. buying a new one (that will also rust out in time) from Weber. Maybe a better fix would be to scrap the tray and install two horizontal frame tubes to support the legs.
Jon,

I thought about adding the pieces, I have a Silver C wire rack that I could put in the bottom pans place.

Bobby

Bobby, put the wire rack in. That pan is just going to rust out, even if you replace it. As for the large grease pan, if it is still functional, then there is little reason to do anything more than clean it up a bit. That should be a good grill for rehabbing.

You will likely have to depending on what type of wire rack you use. If you use the kind that clamps onto the right and left cross bar, then you should be good, but the other style rests on the front and back cross members and do not offer any additional support for the legs making front and back cross members necessary. I just added those cross members on my latest grill.

Back