Newly Acquired 18.5" WSM

Steve D MI

TVWBB Member
from 2008 manufacture. I bought it at an estate sale for a whopping 22.50. I've been cleaning it, as the grates were really dirty and I want to clean up the body also.

not new to smoking, been smoking in a cheap offset and a decent propane smoker for a while. thought i'd diversify.

anyways, thinking about buying a controller for it, unsure if I really want or need it. I am going to do my first smoke in it Friday.

Great deal and welcome to the site. You will love that WSM. Easy to cook on and control the temp. Post any questions and many here will help. Good luck with the new smoker.

Enjoy! I can't stop using mine; I have done about 5 or 6 cooks in less than a month. I would do more if I could figure out a way to retire early :)

Steve, WELCOME!!! :)

As far as a controller, unless you are doing some overnight cooks, it isn't necessary. Saying that, I do have the PartyQ and love it!!! :cool: (There's just something about not "having" to go out and check/adjust the temp).

yeah, something is telling me i'm going to enjoy using this smoker. I do have to say though, I love my lamb spit also.... for lambs, goats, pigs, etc. throwing a party for MSU v. Notre Dame coming up, may have to fire both of them up!

Save the money from buying the controller and buy more meat or charcoal. Once you dial it in, the temps hold pretty steady. You'll get a lot of use and enjoyment out of thay WSM.

Back