Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Ohhh...you have a side burner. I'm jelly!
I lot of people think the side burner is useless but I love it, use it all the time. When I bought the grill, we’d just moved home after being flooded (3 feet on the ground level) but didn’t have kitchen yet so it really helped.

I lot of people think the side burner is useless but I love it, use it all the time. When I bought the grill, we’d just moved home after being flooded (3 feet on the ground level) but didn’t have kitchen yet so it really helped.
I have a side burner on the Blackstone, and that's my "kitchen range" right now. I often cook full meals on the grill (even if it's a foil dinner) but some things, like pasta or sauces, just need a burner.

Good luck on your project. You've got this!
I can appreciate how much you love this grill. I get attached to inanimate objects too. Some people may think it's silly, but who cares? :D
Can't wait to see the results.
My first ever "new" vehicle was a Mazda B2600 pickup. I waited a long time for that truck, and it was my best friend. I drove it til it died, and I tried not to look when they used the big magnet to pick it up off the trailer at the scrap yard, but I accidentally saw it. Felt like I had betrayed my own soul. It's ridiculous, but that's how I am. 😖

Front control 300 series do not have a crossover tube. Each burner has its own igniter.
I always thought that was a little less than user friendly and a great example of over engineering something that was simple and worked. When I tore apart my '98 Genesis last year to restore it, the original igniter still fired the grill up on the first push of the button.

I always thought that was a little less than user friendly and a great example of over engineering something that was simple and worked. When I tore apart my '98 Genesis last year to restore it, the original igniter still fired the grill up on the first push of the button.

On my 330, it's great when it works well.

Its annoying when one burner will not light.

The igniters on east west grills with one igniter is elegantly simple.

Yes, I just was poking around at this one and realized I may have to buy THREE ignitors. Not just one.

Okay question....

I have done some cleaning and have a lot of photos. I have sized them down. I don't want to overstep with how many I post and use up a ton of bandwidth. Is there a rule, written or otherwise? Better to post full image in the text, or thumbnails? A lot of the older posts I was looking at for refurb instructions, the photos are missing, so I can't tell.

Okay first newbie dumb question:

I did a quick look and did not see a specific tutorial for this, though if there is one, it's absolutely fine to just point me that direction. (I still have a ways to go in using the forum and its features.)

I spent my afternoon and evening doing the best deep clean I could, and I'm going to need help to know how to get the front panel off. I thought it would be clear, but....not.🧐

A few things regarding that panel and knobs, etc:

1-I need to access the ignitors, because either the button or the igitors themselves don't work. (yesterday I realized there is more than one.)

2- I'm hoping by cleaning the INSIDE of the knobs (or something else in there) that the heat control can be returned to this grill. Right now there is low (which is like 500 degrees) and full-on, which is screaming hot. There really is no "low and slow" on this grill and I haven't had that for probably three years.

3-The knobs are grimy. I did a clean on this, but even after the clean, I did not get the knobs clean. They are some kind of rubberized stuff and I'm afraid of damaging them with stronger cleaners and tools I used for the harder surfaces. (Ammonia and water have not taken the grime off of these--it's a combination of grease and black walnut stain. All of it may not come off, but some of it is just crud)

4-See the little labels "where am I" indicators on the panel body? Those are coming off just with ammonia based cleaner. Is it possible to replace these if I can't save them? I don't want to destroy the writing on them if I can help it (especially don't want to mess up the little red "grill" which is how I look out the door and see if I've shut the grill off after use.🤪

These are with "cleaning" in progress.

Knobs still need work.jpgknobs during cleaning mark coming off.jpg

let's start with burners.

remove the doors. You don't have to, but it gets them out of the way so they don't get damaged.

There is a little clip inside the door on the upper hinge to pull the top pivot down. a small screwdriver works.

remove the wind screen on the bottom of the control panel. two Philips screws from the bottom. get a zip lock and put the screws in it:)

remove the knobs, and then you'll have them off making them easier to clean.
unscrew the igniter button cap

Unscrew the control panel ( stainless part with the markings on it)
Lift out the control panel and unplug the three wires going into the igniter box.
Set the control panel aside, and you'll be able to either repair or replace the igniter later.

It will now look sort of like this ( I have a fourth burner so mine looks a little different )

20220709_125444.jpg

Then unbolt the manifold ( hex screws into the ziplock... )

You don't have to remove it, you can leave it sort of hanging but now it is easy to get the burners out without removing the screws in the cookbox.

For your igniters, make sure there is no corrosion in the battery socket and instal a good battery. It is more likely the electronic module but it could be that the burners are rusted badly and the spark will not jump across through the rust. Happens to the igniter in my RV fridge. Sand the burner to shiny metal under each igniter and make sure the holes in the burners under each igniter are clear.

Back