New Years Rib Resolutions

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I honestly think that spare ribs are the toughest to master. I want it all: juicy, nice bark, a clean pull from bone but NO MUSHINESS, subtle spice with just enough smoke.

As for a little background info: The best spares I've ever smoked were done on my drum smoker at 200-225 low and slow, layed flat with leg quarters cooked over them to baste them, using M. Mills magic dust recipe. They were tender AND quite juicy, but the bark wasn't quite developed, and the rub was a bit much. I've tried foiling ribs a few times, but never really got it right. When I cook spares at higher temps, they end up quite chewy. Of course, It's quite hard to find smaller spares nowadays, as well.

As for my "rib resolutions":

Learn how to season ribs so that they don't taste bland, but don't taste "spicy". I'll always have a bit of cayenne, but I might write off chilli powder altogether.

Using my new little wsm, find the best method for the right balance between juicy and tender. (I usually trim to St. Louis style, and cook the tips at the same time, most of the time 3 slabs at a time.)

Any tips to help shorten my learning curve would be great! My wife would appreciate it as well! Dave

Dave-

It's very subjective, but my rib process for spares hasn't changed for quite some time. I trim to St Louis, pull the membrane, put on a light mustard slather, then dust with rub (my go-to is Dizzy Dust from Dizzy Pig BBQ Co.) The amount of rub depends on if I plan to sauce the ribs later or not (more if not, less if so.) I cook at 240 degrees as measured through the lid vent with a 2" probe therm for about 6.5-7 hours.

To get the cooker set up, I light the fire in five spots with my MAPP gas torch (20 seconds per spot), and I put on four chunks of wood at that point as well (usually two hickory and two cherry or pecan.) Then I assemble the cooker, let the wood get going for about 30 minutes or so (get past the billowy white smoke), then on goes the meat, stabilize the temp, and pour a little JD over ice (or do chores depending on what time of the day it is and if my wife is home!)
icon_cool.gif

I try not to foil at all if I can help it, as I find that makes the ribs mushy.

Hope this gives you some ideas....sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness!

R

That wasn't rambling!
icon_cool.gif
That was a good description !! I've not tried any Dizzy products, I've been using Texas BBQ Rub, but what kind of sauce to you go to if you do sauce?

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Anybody got their own "rib resolution?" Oh yeah, and I almost forgot, Happy New Year!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah .. Do MORE and do BETTER.
icon_wink.gif

Happy New Year !!

Bill

Bill, I'm a pretty dyed in the wool dry rib guy, so I only sauce if I'm serving to people who I know like it that way. Recently, I've been in the habit of using Sweet Baby Ray's (not the hot one) cut about 2:1 sauce to honey. If I have the time/inclination, I'll sauce a few times in the last hour of cooking, or I'll just serve the sauce on the side with the ribs. Pretty much just an adaptation of the BRITU sauce that mixes KC Masterpiece and honey for a finishing sauce.

As far as Rib Resolutions go, I may be trying to work more on my sausage making skills. I've done a few batches, but have never really hit on the right recipe, fat content, etc., to make me happy. Oh, and as someone who is trying to get back to a more appropriate "fighting" weight, I guess moderation is part of the Rib Resolution, too!
icon_smile.gif

R

Hello Dave, I am going to listen in on your requests seeing how I agree. For me spares are hit or miss, I have done a few that came out great and many others that were just average. I use my own rub and sauce which I like so I got the flavor I want but the tenderness and juicy part is up the air. I use cherry smoke wood only which adds to the flavor and a reddish color to the bark. The only time I use foil is if the bark gets to dark or to much smoke, and then it's only for a short time.

I think alot of it is the quality of meat and age of the meat, I have been experimenting with that part of it.

Thanks Rich. I've read about SBR & honey but not tried it. I, too, am a dry rib guy but I do like to change it up from time to time.
icon_wink.gif
Oh, and no foil here either!
icon_biggrin.gif

There's not that much sausage info on this board but there are a few others that have some pretty good info as well as recipes..

Thanks for the info, Rich, and sorry for the hi-jack, Dave.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich G:
Dave-

It's very subjective, but my rib process for spares hasn't changed for quite some time. I trim to St Louis, pull the membrane, put on a light mustard slather, then dust with rub (my go-to is Dizzy Dust from Dizzy Pig BBQ Co.) The amount of rub depends on if I plan to sauce the ribs later or not (more if not, less if so.) I cook at 240 degrees as measured through the lid vent with a 2" probe therm for about 6.5-7 hours.

To get the cooker set up, I light the fire in five spots with my MAPP gas torch (20 seconds per spot), and I put on four chunks of wood at that point as well (usually two hickory and two cherry or pecan.) Then I assemble the cooker, let the wood get going for about 30 minutes or so (get past the billowy white smoke), then on goes the meat, stabilize the temp, and pour a little JD over ice (or do chores depending on what time of the day it is and if my wife is home!)
icon_cool.gif

I try not to foil at all if I can help it, as I find that makes the ribs mushy.

Hope this gives you some ideas....sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness!

R </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rich, thanks a bunch for sharing your technique. I probably aim for 225 at the grate most of the time as well. Have you ever tried 250? Ray Lampe suggests 250 for ribs not foiled, explaining that the bark won't be developed by the time the rib is done. He does concede to chewiness, however. I don't mind a little chew, but don't want to be thinking about toothpicks in the middle of a meal. Next time I can find some smaller spares, I might try 250.

Also, let me ask you this: Do you notice any difference in moisture retention between slabs layed flat or in a rack? Some swear layed flat is best for moisture retention, and I'd have to say that it's true going by my own experience, but I'm not certain that there weren't other factors at play.

Happy New Year, Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy P.:
Hello Dave, I am going to listen in on your requests seeing how I agree. For me spares are hit or miss, I have done a few that came out great and many others that were just average. I use my own rub and sauce which I like so I got the flavor I want but the tenderness and juicy part is up the air. I use cherry smoke wood only which adds to the flavor and a reddish color to the bark. The only time I use foil is if the bark gets to dark or to much smoke, and then it's only for a short time.

I think alot of it is the quality of meat and age of the meat, I have been experimenting with that part of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, fellow middle Tenneessean! I think you're right on, concerning the quality of meat. I find it's really hard to find the smaller spares that go to the Q joints. I do find that I can find smaller spares around the typical holidays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. However, I find that when I buy them and freeze for a later cook that they're not as good.

Dave-

It's been years since I measured the temp at both the lid and the grate, but I'd guess that 240 lid is getting me around 225-230 grate temp. Depending on the number of slabs I'm cooking, I've done them flat and in a rack, and I haven't noticed much difference in moisture. Since every hog is a bit different, anyway, I'd guess that it's more likely to be variance in the meat, but either way, it doesn't seem to matter to me. Flat or racked, it's more of a space issue.

I like the bark that I get with the temps that I am using. It's firm, but not too crusty or chewy. Also, on texture, I've always liked ribs that are very tender, but still have some structure to them. I guess a competition style of tenderness where they are tender, but don't fall off the bone when you take a bite.

Ray Lampe has cooked a few more racks of ribs than I have, so he may be right. Again, it's a subjective thing for each cook, and I arrived at my current method through a whole lot of experimentation on my kettle, offset, ceramic and WSM. As always, the good news is that unless you really mess things up, every attempt is better than just edible!

Oh, and as you play around with the right combination of techniques for you, one suggestion I will offer is, only change one thing at a time. That way you will get a sense for what that change does to your ribs, and can more accurately assess if you like it or not.

Smoke on!

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Thanks Rich. I've read about SBR & honey but not tried it. I, too, am a dry rib guy but I do like to change it up from time to time.
icon_wink.gif
Oh, and no foil here either!
icon_biggrin.gif

There's not that much sausage info on this board but there are a few others that have some pretty good info as well as recipes..

Thanks for the info, Rich, and sorry for the hi-jack, Dave.
icon_smile.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, no problem. I've tried sausage making a couple of times, and I tell you what: I would have to buy an entirely new wardrobe by the time I got my sausage recipes just right, so I'll not include in any New Years resolutions! However, YOU ought to "go for it", and share all your tips and recipes right here with us for free!
icon_biggrin.gif
Happy New Year! Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich G:
Dave-

It's been years since I measured the temp at both the lid and the grate, but I'd guess that 240 lid is getting me around 225-230 grate temp. Depending on the number of slabs I'm cooking, I've done them flat and in a rack, and I haven't noticed much difference in moisture. Since every hog is a bit different, anyway, I'd guess that it's more likely to be variance in the meat, but either way, it doesn't seem to matter to me. Flat or racked, it's more of a space issue.

I like the bark that I get with the temps that I am using. It's firm, but not too crusty or chewy. Also, on texture, I've always liked ribs that are very tender, but still have some structure to them. I guess a competition style of tenderness where they are tender, but don't fall off the bone when you take a bite.

Ray Lampe has cooked a few more racks of ribs than I have, so he may be right. Again, it's a subjective thing for each cook, and I arrived at my current method through a whole lot of experimentation on my kettle, offset, ceramic and WSM. As always, the good news is that unless you really mess things up, every attempt is better than just edible!

Oh, and as you play around with the right combination of techniques for you, one suggestion I will offer is, only change one thing at a time. That way you will get a sense for what that change does to your ribs, and can more accurately assess if you like it or not.

Smoke on!

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Rich. Yeah, I suspect the biggest variable IS the actual rib. It's a shame most folks can't find a quality consistant slab to start off with. Actually, if you think about it, that's got to be it, because there seems to be little consensus concerning temps and techniques. Dave

Dave, I've got a local grocer here in town that I have been working with a year or so now and he can order just about anything I want. I do pay a little more and have to order in advance but it is better quality meat. I have even showed him how I like my competition meats trim so that saves me a step.

Find a good quality meat grocer that is willing to work with you and develop a freindship with them, take a few slabs of their ribs back to them ready to eat goes a long way in getting their help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy P.:
Dave, I've got a local grocer here in town that I have been working with a year or so now and he can order just about anything I want. I do pay a little more and have to order in advance but it is better quality meat. I have even showed him how I like my competition meats trim so that saves me a step.
Randy, thanks for the grocer tip. I guess they can't turn me into a pumpkin, so what would it hurt to ask?

I actually took some time to read some of my old bbq journal, and I've decided that it would be a good resolution to actually take some time to read some of my old bbq journal...BEFORE A COOK!...like "Wiviott's rub too spicy for ribs"...been there and done it already and forgot....getting old! Dave
Find a good quality meat grocer that is willing to work with you and develop a freindship with them, take a few slabs of their ribs back to them ready to eat goes a long way in getting their help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My method is very similar to Richs' ....for me..room temp St Louis spares lightly dusted w/Bad Byrans' Butt Rub...approx 4 hrs @ a dome therm temp around 230*....check and sauce (just a few little swirls ) w/Sweet Baby Rays @ 3+45 .... smoke 'til desired doneness
wsmsmile8gm.gif

My New Years' Resolution would be to get ribs of the proper texture: tender (so that one bit comes cleanly off, leaving the rest on the bone) but with a nice bark (flavorful and a bit firmer in texture than the meat). I am fairly happy with my flavor profiles (using homemade rubs and sauces) but have not been able to achieve the proper bark yet. I hope to experiment with temperatures (I like low and slow at 225 or so to promote tenderness and smokiness, but raise it to 250 for a bit after the first few hours to develop the bark?) and sprays (apple juice spray to promote caramelization and bark development)?

I also resolve to perfect use of my new Stoker so that I can establish precise cooking methods (thereby allowing for more controlled experimentation).

Rich: I am very into making sausages. I've been making pork sausages for about five years (using hogs that we raise), chicken sausage, lamb sausage, and hot dogs. I have also dabbled in salami (without much success). I made about ten different varieties of pork sausage this year. I even made some gigantic 5 lb. sausages stuffed into a spiral that will exactly fit onto the 18.5" WSM rack! I can't wait to bust those out for a party some time.

I'd be happy to swap technique/recipes, etc. Perhaps start a new thread somewhere...

Back