New WSM

MattO_IN

Hey all,

Just picked up a new to me 22” WSM! It was a decent price, lightly used, and came with a Hunsaker Vortex plate, bigger fuel basket, and a Hunsaker hanging rack. Also, was upgraded with a Cajun Bandit door and gasketed around the top lid and door opening. I do have a few questions.

I did a test burn in it today, and am having some trouble getting the cooker to shut off; I did notice that it appears the bottom fuel section with the legs is out of round slightly. I’m thinking it is drawing enough fresh air through the crack around the bottom to keep the fire lit. It also spikes in temp when I close down all 3 bottom vents and leave the top open. It is sitting at 311 degrees currently with all bottoms closed and the top open. Granted, there is no meat on the smoker, but I imagine I could still dial in a low temp with it empty. I do not have a water pan inside.

Should I order a gasket kit and seal off the bottom section, or should I call Weber and see if they would send me a new bottom section? Since I’m not technically the original owner, I wasn’t sure how that worked. I could try to re shape the bottom, but thought I’d get some opinions before I do anything drastic.

I have been using a home built UDS drum since about 2014, which finally rusted out through the bottom. So I am very familiar with the minion method, drum style cooking etc. thanks in advance!

Welcome.
When cooled, flip over and trace the bottom lip (top), and trace the middle abd see if you can get a match and if the are a circle.
And remember, everybody lives pictures.

Depends on a lot. How much fuel, how long it was going for, and yes if it's dented enough that could be a factor.

Comparing my times won't help as I have an 18, but try closing all vents and see how long it takes to drop.

Can also drop in some wood even with a small batch of charcoal and look for leaks.

If any of the three sections are out of round they can be easily brought back to round. With a tape measure check the diameter in several places to determine the greatest number. With that spot straight up and down you can gently push down to adjust the diameter back round. Easy Peasy, just go easy.

Back