New WSM Owner

Charlie L

TVWBB Super Fan
After years of working with ECB's SJ Mini WSM's and Kettle Smoking i was finally able to get an 18" WSM.

Im buying a new unit, it's being shipped in the next week, it will be paired with my IQ 110 that i got for Christmas:

I know these topics have been covered but i wanted some opinions:

Is is worth it to season? I've read conflicting reports.
I know that they often run hot on the first cooks? Is it worth it to season or just work with lower temp and smaller fire on first cooks cooks to build up smoke and grease?

Cajun Bandit Door/Gasket:
The CB door will cost about $38 shipped (shipping is almost as much as the door):mad: , the gasket will be about $15-$30. Should i do one? do both?

Does the CB door make a significant difference for newer style WSM's?

If i do Gasket, do the smoker body top? body bottom? Door? All three? If you gasket door opening it is better to gasket the door itself or the body around the opening?

I know that waiting until the unit has a few uses will show where the air leaks are, but if i am going to apply gasket, wouldn't it make sense to do it now while the unit is clean?

I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

- Charlie

First, welcome aboard. As for your questions, I did all of those things to my WSM. I can't say that the made any difference in my cooks, but as I have said before, I am happy with my WSM and am happy with the upgrades. They made it unique to me. I personally they have helped, but could not prove it to save my life. The bottom line is to do what you think will make you happy. Good Luck and Great Cooking!!

Welcome Charlie, congrats on the WSM (you're going to love it compared to the ECB)

I wouldn't modify it until I used it a couple times, you'll likely be happy with it right out of the box. Maybe get a clay saucer for it, should you decide to run it waterless

We have Cajun Bandit doors on all our cookers. I think they are worth it. Don't see the need for gaskets.

Season if you can with just any old fatty pork or beef. I use the tips cut from spare ribs from trimming them to St. Louis style. If you can't, no biggie, it will eventually season itself.

Be sure to degrease the inside. I don't like just building a fire to burn it off cause I don't want the oil flavor anywhere.

Welcome Charlie, I have a 22 WSM I ordered a gasket kit same time I ordered the WSM. I installed it while it was new and clean as you mentioned.
I did the unit top and bottom and not the door...... quickly saw that was the weak spot for leaking and went ahead and did the door.
I did not replace my door, have to tweak it now and then but works fine.
I did not pre season, never noticed any big changes in temp's.... new or seasoned.
I have to say mine is very consistant and has made me look like a pro many times already.
Enjoy!
Al

Welcome Charlie, congrats on the WSM (you're going to love it compared to the ECB)

I wouldn't modify it until I used it a couple times, you'll likely be happy with it right out of the box. Maybe get a clay saucer for it, should you decide to run it waterless

Thanks Chuck, The ECB was given away long ago, that gave way to the Mini WSM i built (see Avatar) which then gave way to using a kettle which has been good but i have the opportunity to get the WSM now thanks to a lowes gift card that will cover large portion of cost so i am making the move.

I have an IQ 110 which works well on the kettle but i know that air leaks affect the effectiveness of the IQ so thats why i am wondering if i should do the mods now.

Maybe i will let it ride for a bit stock and go from there.

Welcome aboard!

I think my answers are a bit different than those above:

I seasoned my first cooker per the wisdom of Harry Soo. The second one I just cooked on it and called that "seasoning". I think the first cooker holds temps better.

I have not installed the door or gasket. I saw no need - the cooker works great without them. They're not designed to be air tight. As long as the fire goes out when the vents are closed it's good enough.

I had an ATC but sold it. Again, I learned I didn't need it. I don't require that kind of precision for backyard cooking.

...But don't begrudge anyone with differences of opinion. I think very few gadgets are required for the WSM but they're fun to have.

One accessory I can't live without is the expandable smoking rack. I believe it takes the WSM to the next level for smoking bacon, sausages, chicken, turkey, etc.

Different smokes for different folks.

Again, welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

I think my answers are a bit different than those above:

I seasoned my first cooker per the wisdom of Harry Soo. The second one I just cooked on it and called that "seasoning". I think the first cooker holds temps better.

I have not installed the door or gasket. I saw no need - the cooker works great without them. They're not designed to be air tight. As long as the fire goes out when the vents are closed it's good enough.

I had an ATC but sold it. Again, I learned I didn't need it. I don't require that kind of precision for backyard cooking.

...But don't begrudge anyone with differences of opinion. I think very few gadgets are required for the WSM but they're fun to have.

One accessory I can't live without is the expandable smoking rack. I believe it takes the WSM to the next level for smoking bacon, sausages, chicken, turkey, etc.

Different smokes for different folks.

Again, welcome!

Dwain, I saw one of those on ebay yesterday and was intrigued. I dont see myself smoking much fish but hanging other meat might be interesting. Is the rack strong enough to hang ribs? How do you set it up for chicken? Halves? parts? Whole?

Last edited:
I have to agree with Dwain. When I first used my WSM I saw some smoke coming from around the top of the door. I put some aluminum foil across the top of the door and it corrected that. I just don't see, at least at this point, making that investment if it's not necessary.

Thanks JR.

I am going to let it ride stock for now. I will try a few scrap or bacon cooks to season first and see if i can get the gunk gasket.

Thanks JR.

I am going to let it ride stock for now. I will try a few scrap or bacon cooks to season first and see if i can get the gunk gasket.

Good idea. I've done 3 (or so) dozen cooks with my 18.5. 'Some' smoke still escapes from the door and lid. However, I have no trouble maintaining 250-275* for long periods of time.......so I'm not worried about it. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the bacon. Cook up a couple dozen wings or a chicken. Its a cheap way to play with your new toy, and get familiar with its idiosyncrasies. The experiment will most likely be a success.....and if not.....you're only out $4-5 worth of meat.

Good idea. I've done 3 (or so) dozen cooks with my 18.5. 'Some' smoke still escapes from the door and lid. However, I have no trouble maintaining 250-275* for long periods of time.......so I'm not worried about it. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the bacon. Cook up a couple dozen wings or a chicken. Its a cheap way to play with your new toy, and get familiar with its idiosyncrasies. The experiment will most likely be a success.....and if not.....you're only out $4-5 worth of meat.

That's a pretty good idea Ted. I can do a chicken quick for a week night cook.

Welcome to the WSM family Charlie. I've had my WSM just over a year now. When I got it, it leaked smoked like sieve. I tried adjusting it (barrel out of round, door just out there), and it helped some, but I decided to go with the gaskets and the door. I wanted to get to the point of enjoying the cook instead of fighting it.

Take a look at my mods thread to see what all I did and how I did it.

Back