new WSM grates - question

Mike Shook

TVWBB Fan
I bit the bullet and bought replacement Weber upper and lower cooking grates for the WSM 22. They are bright and shiny and just screaming for meat to make them happy! And I was planning to do a 4 butt smoke on Wednesday when a thought hit me..... Other than wipe off the dust from the shipping boxes off of them, do I need to treat these new grates in any way before throwing meat on them? Naked cook / high temp bake them once, rub them down with something, foil wrap them the first time through, anything? I believe I had hair when I bought the WSM so it has been a long time, and I simply cannot remember anything from the first set up.

Thanks for any thoughts.

LOL. Well, it was a grate (get it?) cook. 36 pre-trim pounds of bone-in butt yielded 16.5 pounds. Everyone was pleased. Took a pound to next door neighbors, thought it was only fair since they had been smelling it all day. Before my butt hit the chair at home, here comes the neighbor across the lawn.... he had apparently set-to as soon as I left and couldn't believe how good. Nice to be appreciated.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Attachments

• pork sammy.jpeg
    pork sammy.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 7
LOL. Well, it was a grate (get it?) cook. 36 pre-trim pounds of bone-in butt yielded 16.5 pounds. Everyone was pleased. Took a pound to next door neighbors, thought it was only fair since they had been smelling it all day. Before my butt hit the chair at home, here comes the neighbor across the lawn.... he had apparently set-to as soon as I left and couldn't believe how good. Nice to be appreciated.

Thanks for the help, folks.
Before I started my smoking journey last fall. I had a next door neighbor that smoked something almost every weekend. No matter how many hints I dropped about how good it smelled and how he was tormenting us, he never gave us even a fork full. He was a *******, and glad he moved.

Awe man what a jerk, I always take a bit over to my good, and close neighbor. It goes a long way with other things. It doesn't take much. 1 little 6oz salmon portion when I am making like a dozen, or 5 or 6 nice pieces of jerky when I am making 5 lbs worth. Or a nice little bowl of pulled pork. Especially when she is a health freak almost vegan and trying to make him like her, he really appreciates the treats.

Before I started my smoking journey last fall. I had a next door neighbor that smoked something almost every weekend. No matter how many hints I dropped about how good it smelled and how he was tormenting us, he never gave us even a fork full. He was a *******, and glad he moved.
That’s wild, part of the reason I cook is to share with friends and family. The cooking experience is part of the excitement, seeing people happy with something you(we) create. I’m actually glad for you the “non-sharer” left. 😂

I know right! We keep saying the same thing. In fact I gave a few slices of brisket to the guy that bought the SmokeFire just to share. I am glad we are have some friends come to visit as I am going to spin a turkey on the kettle, and still have some brisket for sandwiches.

Back