New WSM 22.5 in the cold.

Shand Glenn

I have a brand new WSM 22.5. First cook today and it's windy and cold, 20 mph wind chills at 5. It seems to be cooking upside down. The top grate is 20-30 degrees colder than the bottom. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks Much
Shand Republic, MO

Welcome Shand.
First thing I would ask is what are you cooking on each grate and how are you measuring grate temps?

Tim

Which way is your top vent facing.. into or out of the wind?

Edit: are the temps starting to even out? Heat rises so I would guess the Mav probe on top needs to be calibrated or it's placed to close to a cold butt.

Tim

Last edited:
Welcome to the group Shand. Try reversing the pit probes on the two ET-73's and see what the readings are. That will tell you if you have a calibration or probe issue. As Timothy said, you could have one pit probe to close to a piece of cold meat. Good luck and enjoy that WSM.. I love mine.

Ok I will give that a shot. I have wondered if they are off. How do you calibrate the ET73 I have used them for years on A COS.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can calibrate the Maverick et73. Someone chime in if I am wrong. I normally just use my HeaterMeter on my Performer as well as my WSM. On the HM, I can calibrate for probe differences.

Thanks folks,looks like my problem is a bad ET-73. Great excuse to upgrade!! Now off to experiment with water, sand or clay pot!

How do you calibrate the ET73

What I meant was to check the probe in boiling water or an ice bath and see if it's out of calibration. If it's off by a little than you can remember that and adjust, but if off by alot than time for a replacement because it could get worse.:)

Tim

Thanks folks,looks like my problem is a bad ET-73. Great excuse to upgrade!! Now off to experiment with water, sand or clay pot!

In that case, you might consider checking out some of the control units out there. I love mine and it helps me to sleep during an overnight cook. Good Luck.

Welcome to the site. I'm just down the road from you in Aurora, MO. I have two 18.5 WSM's as well as a 14.5. The last few times I've used my WSM's, I've had problems keeping the temps up so I'm going to have to figure out what the problem is.

Wayne

Back