New Weber Chunks

i mostly use pecan for everything though i do throw on some apple with the butts. lately though i have been getting into oak and have some manzanita to try. if only one choice then pecan for sure.

George, I used to teach SERE for the Navy in CA and we used Manzanita leaves for medicinal purposes. Interested to hear how that wood works out for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
I ordered 10#s of pecan from someone on the internet, forget who, butt the cost to ship was nutso. Butt, the flavour pecan emits is so sensational that it is now my favourite for ALL my cooks. I am running extremely low on it so the last few times I grabbed some, also added apple or cherry to offset my supply.
Tomorrow's beef and pork back ribs cook is gonna be pecan smoked. Gonna look for Weber's bags.
Olive wood is quite good too, been "playing" with that on a few smokes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not use a flat rate box?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
I've seen the bags a lot locally, but only hickory and mesquite. I want some pecan and cherry.
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to HEB, they carry just about every type of wood you can think of.

Homedepot.com has the 5lb bags of chunks for $6.50 each, 3lb bags of chips for $4 each. Right now they have free shipping if you spend more than $50. They only list the cherry, apple, pecan, hickory, and mesquite; that would take care of most of what I want.

My local HDs do not carry these yet, hopefully they'll add them when they restock the BBQ section this spring.

I am a big Pecan wood user... I really love it when I make my Pork Sausage... Pecan to me is great on everything... I also have plenty access to it for free...

Pecan and Apple two of my favorites. I stumbled across a firewood supplier in my area that always seems to keep a good supply on hand. Nice to see weber is adding more to their line up.

Joe,
I found them while I was in Sterling, Illinois.

The best Weber dealer in our area is K and K Hardware in Bettendorf, IA
Might be worth a shot. I haven't been to the store lately.

Good to see someone from D-port on here
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis Stilwell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
I ordered 10#s of pecan from someone on the internet, forget who, butt the cost to ship was nutso. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why not use a flat rate box? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I do not determine what his/her shipping costs to me are going to be.
icon_smile.gif

I have plenty of cherry, apple & hickory but will have to check with the local Weber retailers for some of the pecan.

I just went to the aimtofind.com link from Clay W's post and they are on sale for $6.99 for 5 lb bags. Free shipping for orders over $49. They have apple, cherry, hickory, pecan and mesquite.
They are also advertising a big Weber gas grill sale as well for anyone who is interested. Lots of accessories as well.

I found some of these bags at Blackhawk Hardware in Charlotte. I was a bit dissapointed in some of the bags. One bag of apple was about 1/4 spalted and one bag of cherry contained two huge pieces that made up more than half the bag. Some time with a chisel would be required to use that bag of cherry.

I dug though the stock and found a very nice bag of cherry, the pieces in this bag are fairly uniform and they look good. I will be trying the cherry on some ribs this afternoon.

One thing I really like about the Weber chunks is the bag. They have very little printing on the front which means you can see what you are buying. A lot of other vendors print on both sides which makes it hard to evaluate the wood.

I also was pleased to find these Firespice weber bags of wood in west suburban chicago. I found them at the local True Value and Ace hardware stores. I've only found the pecan to go along with hickory and mesquite in the fist-size chunks, and apple and cherry in chips. So far, no apple or cherry in chunks, but I do like the pecan.

Peter

Have only seen Hickory and Mesquite at a couple local Weber dealers as well as Osh out here in Southern California.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michele p:
I was just at Lowes they didn't have them, I'll keep looking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet a call to Weber would get you a list of local stores that have some in stock or where you could order some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig A:
I found some of these bags at Blackhawk Hardware in Charlotte. I was a bit dissapointed in some of the bags. One bag of apple was about 1/4 spalted and one bag of cherry contained two huge pieces that made up more than half the bag. Some time with a chisel would be required to use that bag of cherry.

I dug though the stock and found a very nice bag of cherry, the pieces in this bag are fairly uniform and they look good. I will be trying the cherry on some ribs this afternoon.

One thing I really like about the Weber chunks is the bag. They have very little printing on the front which means you can see what you are buying. A lot of other vendors print on both sides which makes it hard to evaluate the wood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larger chunks are not a problem if you have a hatchet handy. I downsize big chunks all the time!

Back