New Weber accessory

Mike,
But don't you have the only one heat deflector system? If I am wrong then this is a little different, but If my memory serves me right, why would you want to add this?

Second, anyone looking to add a heat deflector system, for $90 right now on Amazon the Aura Kettle Zone Cooking which comes with SS grates. I would rather add the SS grates then another vortex (I have two nock offs and am not half as much money in).
Yeah I have the only fire.

1677968936423.png

The one thing I don't like about the only fire is that the deflector level sits so low that it damn near touches the top of my bro 'n sear and my vortex knockoff, which isn't the end of the world but is something that limits how much charcoal I can use unless I just put it straight on the grate which isn't my favorite thing to do.

Even bigger reason is that after using the vortex plate for my WSM I see the value in having a metal heat deflector that acts as a flavorizer bar to impart some grilled flavor. My wife doesn't like heavy smoke flavor so since I can't use any wood in my smokes the flavorizer effect is very welcome.

But, those are both kind of personal reasons so I can see a lot of folks finding the new set a bit superfluous. And, to be fair I'm just a Weber honk. lol. So, I kind of want it because Weber is finally making it. I got the only fire because there was no other real option at the time.

Last edited:
I’ve certainly spent worse 100 dollar bills!
If I didn’t have the SmokeFire I’d want to try this for low and slow.

What height did you cut the IKEA bowl to?
I don't remember exactly, but I did a rough cut and checked fit in my E6. It was a bit too high, so I just trimmed an extra 1/2".
Later on I thought of an easy way for precise marking. Hold a sharpy at the right height (e.g. on a stack of books) and rotate the bowl against the sharpie. I'll try that on the next one :)

I don't remember exactly, but I did a rough cut and checked fit in my E6. It was a bit too high, so I just trimmed an extra 1/2".
Later on I thought of an easy way for precise marking. Hold a sharpy at the right height (e.g. on a stack of books) and rotate the bowl against the sharpie. I'll try that on the next one :)

Why don't you guys just spend an extra $10 and get this and you don't have to mark or cut anything? lol

What, and miss all the fun ;-)
I would do that, but I moved to Israel about a year ago. If I can order it on Amazon, it will cost twice as much, and will take a few weeks to arrive.

My Vortex Plate from Hunsakers.com.which does a good job when going Indirect. However it’s main use is for my WSM eliminating the need for the water pan.

Attachments

• 5A3BDA35-24BA-455A-9C2B-C75B289AC342.jpeg
    5A3BDA35-24BA-455A-9C2B-C75B289AC342.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 78D77382-7025-4BE8-B970-DA3A7CC46028.jpeg
    78D77382-7025-4BE8-B970-DA3A7CC46028.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I have a Vortex, which is a game changer, but, I like the idea of the diffuser plate for low and slow.. I won't spend $99 for it, but, I'd buy a pizza plate for $15 and make my own diffuser.

I like the Brandizzi "SuperDome" for L&S using the snake method. (Not for vortexing though). No need for a deflector plate on top.
screenshot_01.jpg
Alternatively you could get an off-cut piece of straight pipe, (think a solid WSM charcoal ring), and use that.
Funnily enough Enrico did just that.

I like the Brandizzi "SuperDome" for L&S using the snake method. (Not for vortexing though). No need for a deflector plate on top.
View attachment 67267
Alternatively you could get an off-cut piece of straight pipe, (think a solid WSM charcoal ring), and use that.
Funnily enough Enrico did just that.
I have something like that. You can use the snake method for low and slow or light 'em all up at once and cook hot and fast. I cooked a chicken with it just last week - came out great.

Thanks. Those IKEA bowls are very versatile around the kitchen. My wife has a few of those bowls (she’ll never miss one, right?). The shape of the IKEA bowl should be really good at directing and radiating the heat. Good tip for marking height. Your reply is very helpful. Thanks.

.......You can use the snake method for low and slow or light 'em all up at once and cook hot and fast. I cooked a chicken with it just last week - came out great.
Yep, I forgot to add that. A ring of fire....hot and fast cooks or less fuel for indirect roasting.
I've seen that contraption you have before. Who makes it?

Yep, I forgot to add that. A ring of fire....hot and fast cooks or less fuel for indirect roasting.
I've seen that contraption you have before. Who makes it?
Some company called bbqitall but it seems to be going or has already gone out of business. I think there's a facebook page. And there are a few youtube vids.

Some company called bbqitall but it seems to be going or has already gone out of business. I think there's a facebook page. And there are a few youtube vids.
I think this is the same?

Back