NEW: Weber 7472 Expandable Smoking Rack

I wonder if that would be high enough to hang full racks of ribs?

It might be on the 22 but not the 18". Jim Lampe and I built something similar. I made mine for the 18 and he made his up afterwards for the 22 but as I recall the weight of a full rack stretched and they touched bottom.

I did not see this post until after I posted the one made in Denmark under Mods for the WSM. It is very expensive. This one is a lot cheaper and looks like it should work pretty well. I think I had about the same amount of money in the one I had made after having the round bar bent to dimension. I took my idea from the Smoke EZ. I have not used it that much but it does create more cooking options. I would hang 1/2 racks in the 18 and they rendered out really well.

Would the ribs not fall off?? That is my biggest fear. To have the ribs fall once they get more tender.

No they don't at least not on me but as I said I can't get a full rack on the 18 and of course there's no foiling them just a dry rub.

IMG_0005-1_zps18fbeb56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0014_zps96073114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks. Going to be hanging a turkey on Saturday...

Great looking forward to some pics of that :cool: I must confess I have not done much with my rack or my smoker since I put my 26" kettle into service but thinking about doing a rack of beef ribs this weekend. I really wanted to smoke some whole fish but never got to it.

A follow up on this, I love this thing. I've been hanging almost everything and may not go back to indirect smoking for most meats.

There may be many opinions, but I get a better product. Each meat has different results. Chicken is amazing, the fat renders beautifully, is most, skin crisps beautifully, and the meat gets this wood fired taste through it. On beef you get a great crust and the wood fired taste.

You need to try chicken. Look at my thread which uses the top grate as a hanger and test it out.

Back