New Toy for Christmas

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Got a new toy for Christmas this year. PKTS Camping tailgate portable unit. It breaks down & is easy to move. Aluminon shell. And will ride in the crawl space of the RV. The wheel frame which is very light can ride in either the back of the truck or the floor of the RV. I have done 3 low & slow smokes on this unit since I got it the other day. These are my thoughts on the PK. Basically OUTSTANDING!!! Why? Because it holds heat so well & uses very little charcoal compared to all my other grills. Today I did a large chicken breast off side direct on a snowy 35* day.
yI7IC2K.jpg
And its holding steady @250* hour after hour.
DZfK3MH.jpg

Snow day here in SW Colorado
L7xiEbm.jpg
Here is the finished product. Chicken breast was tender & very guud.
ONJr5po.jpg

As stated this is a very good grill & smoker. Holds heat better than any other steel grill on my deck. It holds heat so well its very easy to use.
Some people don't like the charcoal clean up but I don't find it a problem as I use lump charcoal. Which makes very little ash. This is a great outdoor cold weather grill. what ever you want to use it for. I should have bought one years ago. I will save a fortune on JD lump.
Well, I hope that someone will enjoy the review. All comments welcome.

Last edited:
Awesome Grill Russ! Great photos of the place, love how the deer hold up at your place. PK360 would make a lovely BBQ when I retire

Looks great. Why did you pick this over the PKGo?
Joe, Good question I did consider the PKGo. but I didn't consider it to be the smoker that the PKTx is. Plus I have the room to carry the larger unit in my RV. And its big enough that I will use it around the home also. But if space is very limited the PKGo would make anyone a nice unit.

Awesome Grill Russ! Great photos of the place, love how the deer hold up at your place. PK360 would make a lovely BBQ when I retire
ChuckO, Yea the 360 is a beautiful grill/smoker. Better air flow controls & better ash management. So when you retire that would make you a excellent grill.

Back