New to Spares

Hey Dan,
I am going to try spares for the first time. I'm planning on this Sunday. I'll see what they post in your thread.

Ya, put them on the smoker with the ribs. They seem to be done in about 3 hours at ~250*. Then you have something to nibble on while the ribs finish. Test them for doneness just as you would the ribs. You can also use them in other dishes such as beans etc.

If the trimmings make it through the cook,i'll keep them for adding to beans. I have froze several uncooked racks worth, smoked, and made up a dish called Chacroutte(sp?)made with sausages and kraut. If you are going to use them to add to another dish, just season with S & P.

It is also a good time to try different rubs.

Paul

All great ideas. I threw them in a food saver bag for future consideration. As for the dog, he's a Silver Lab - I'd be worried if he DIDN'T hang around the WSM. Nice pic of Maddie.

thanks Dan, she's lickin' you now for saying that
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> All great ideas. I threw them in a food saver bag for future consideration. As for the dog, he's a Silver Lab - I'd be worried if he DIDN'T hang around the WSM. Nice pic of Maddie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's no dog... That's a DAAAWG! What a handsome wuppie!

The spares are on now - WSM is settling in at about 260* top grate. I'll let you know how long they take - I'm expecting 5 to 6 hours straight up (no foiling). I'm only doing 1 rack as an experiment - just trimmed 'em and rubbed 'em w/ some Dr. BBQ's Sweet rub. The temp keeps creeping up a bit more than usual so they might be done early.
SPARES1.jpg

Nice. He looks like a big boy.
We all know the blacks are the smartest
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for posting the big lug. I love labs.

Paul

The silvers are a mutated browns, so they're super smart but lazy unless they're fetching or eating. He is big - he was the biggest in the litter of a 120 lb male and 85 lb female. He should be about 115 - 120 lbs fighting weight, but we've got a 1 year old kid who figured out how to feed the dog. Brody needs to lose a good 15 - 20 lbs. The WSM isn't helping the cause.

Almost done at 5 hours. Temp wouldn't settle down, so it was more like a 250 - 275 grate temp cook - i used too much fuel for a single rack. Here's how the look now (pre-sauce and post-sauce):
presauce.jpg
postsauce.jpg

Final results: Maybe the best rack I've ever cooked. I may never do back ribs again. Given the higher temp (275*), these spares could have come off earlier if you like "firm" ribs. At 5.5 hours, the meat was falling apart in my mouth after a little tug from the bone - perfect for my palate but probably too soft for competition.

Back