New to me Q200

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
Recently found a free Q200 on Craigslist, I was able to be the first response to the ad.

Q200(0?) in nice condition, with a new igniter, a newer looking burner, came with (the cheap) stand and the original cover. Quite a nice deal.

Cleaned it up, soaked the CI grate, got the burnts (new word) off.

Attached an LP pound canister, fires up nice.

Just ordered another burner off of Amazon (short time deal, about $19.00) along with a set of QuliMetal split grates and a QuliMetal CI griddle for one side. Had some points loaded up so the $$$$ hurt wasn't too bad.

I'll need to pick up an adapter hose for a larger tank (might go with a 5 lb, easier to move around), but first need to read the threads, it seems it's better to get rid of the OEM regulator, work off of one at the tank side?

Any tips here? It's my first time with a Q, was a 40 year charcoal user, just recently going over to gassers. Been using a Genesis Silver C for about a year now, quite often.

My main comment would be that these are great little cookers as long as you know their limits. You can't expect a small grill like this to be a low an slow bbq machine or to do rotisserie, although some ambitious people do just that. But for straight up, high heat grilling, these grills can hold their own with much more expensive grills.

Sounds like you went all out to get new stuff. I am sure a griddle can come in handy. A lot less messier doing bacon or sausage outside rather than getting grease and smoke all over your inside range top! I do think a hose adapter is a great idea; those little tanks don't last that long and aren't very cost effective for at-home grilling. Sure, a 5lb tank would be easier. Unless you have a lead on one that is certified for a number of more years, you might want to put up with a 20lb one because they are a lot cheaper - for whatever reason :unsure: .

When you can, post some pictures of your grill and the new grates. Qlimetal replacements are generally very good in quality. The cast iron grate is an integral part of how the Q cooks, so you just have to put up with the care it requires. A couple members have gotten great results from the thick, flat stainless grate that Stanbroil offered for a while. I understand they are no longer available. Maybe not quite as much heat retention/radiating as cast iron but much, much easier to care for.

You can either buy an adapter hose that will allow you to run the grill on a bulk tank or you can delete the existing regulator altogether and replace it with a regular hose and regulator.
Benefits of an adapter hose:
1. simple to do
2. can always go back to using a 1lb canister easily.
Benefits of deleting the Q regulator and replacing with a new hose and regulator
1. It will be a little cleaner hookup
2. The Q regulators have a reputation for going bad sooner rather than later.

Bruce, to that I would add that with the added length of the hose with a bulk tank, it is easier to trip the OPD in the tank. You don't have an OPD in the 1lb bottles to contend with, so this is something new. Be sure that you open the tank valve very slowly to prevent this from happening. I find that it is easier to trip the OPD on my Q than anywhere else.

Ed. True. Actually, that is probably another advantage of deleting the factory regulator from the Q. When you have the regulator right at the tank, it tends to negate the long hose when using an adapter hose. The regulator on a normal hose is right at the tank and provides the regulated flow right at the tank instead of having a long extended hose to fill up uncontrolled which is what tends to trip that OPD.

Ed. True. Actually, that is probably another advantage of deleting the factory regulator from the Q. When you have the regulator right at the tank, it tends to negate the long hose when using an adapter hose. The regulator on a normal hose is right at the tank and provides the regulated flow right at the tank instead of having a long extended hose to fill up uncontrolled which is what tends to trip that OPD.
I agree 100%. It's not the cheapest option, nor the easiest, and if you have a working regulator on the Q and are new to bulk tanks maybe not an obvious choice, either. My Q came with a 6' hose sans regulator so extra care is needed.

A large part of my problem stems from my tendency to crank down on the tank valve when I shut if off because of losing a tank of gas many years ago, and that means with the effort it takes to open it is harder for me to just crack it to start. I can trip the OPD on my full sized grill with the reg at the tank and 21" hose if I'm not mindful, so if you are new to this (as we all were at one time), it's something to keep in mind.

My first Q was a 200, came with the hose, and I was disappointed at how slow it was to heat up using a bulk tank. Shot myself in both feet on that one because of tripping the OPD. It is surprisingly easy to do.

EDIT: A minor disadvantage to replacing the Q regulator is that you give up some of the portability by no longer being able to use the small bottles.

Last edited:
If you have just a single, narrow rib in the center, you will have to come up with something. Some people have clipped or banded the halves together with hose clamps, and at least one guy welded his. I'm sure there are cheaper options out there besides Weber. I bought a set for quite a bit less, but they are NLA so I didn't link it.

I seem to remember another member posting a link to some of those adapter clips for a lot less than the Weber ones.

Doing a quick Google of the OEM Weber part # I found this, just under $10.00:

Anyone have any experience with GrillSpot? The clips are being touted as OEM Weber....

Edit:::: Part is $10.00, shipping is $10.00. Oh my.

Doing a quick Google of the OEM Weber part # I found this, just under $10.00:

Anyone have any experience with GrillSpot? The clips are being touted as OEM Weber....
I have ordered from them in Canada and their price was good. They do not have free shipping here so sometimes it can be high. Not sure on the shipping in the USA.

Here is some well-written info from 2014 on doing the bulk tank conversion. In post #7, he explains why it is better to shut the tank valve off first and then bleed the hose.

The Quilmetal grates come with the split grate adapters in the box. (And my Quilmetal griddle had a pair with it as well, so now I have a spare set..)

The griddle showed up yesterday, and indeed it has the clips in the box. The split CI grill I ordered was an Amazon return (I think, discounted heavily but stated to be "as new"), that may have the clips in it also.

Glad I hesitated to order them.

Q200Clips.jpg

You can either buy an adapter hose that will allow you to run the grill on a bulk tank or you can delete the existing regulator altogether and replace it with a regular hose and regulator.
Benefits of an adapter hose:
1. simple to do
2. can always go back to using a 1lb canister easily.
Benefits of deleting the Q regulator and replacing with a new hose and regulator
1. It will be a little cleaner hookup
2. The Q regulators have a reputation for going bad sooner rather than later.

Bruce, thanks for the link and step by step. Just ordered everything off of Amazon, TVWBB links, Chris should get a few pennies from the purchase.

Should be here by Monday.

Here's some pics. I've done a quick scrub on the body of the grill, and a scrape and burn of the OEM CI grate to get rid of the nasties.

New parts as shown, griddle, split Quli CI grill. The clips supplied by Quli seem to do the trick. One pound canister of LP I had laying around the house. Parts to convert to 5lb/20lb are ordered.

My plan is to use this for winter gas grilling. If I need to rotisserie I have the parts and pieces for a Silver C and a 22" kettle to do so, just wheel them out of the garage. Thanksgiving turkey will probably go on the BGE.

Question on the drip pan shown: Is this the OEM Weber drip pan? Doesn't seem to fit very well on the grill.

And EDIT::::: Not a big fan of the cart, the grill wiggles out of it easily while rolling around. Better carts out there? Though eventually I expect this grill to sit on a laboratory counter surface when the deck is completed.

IMG_20211007_161627302_HDR.jpgIMG_20211007_161641071_HDR.jpgIMG_20211007_161657029.jpgIMG_20211007_161748268.jpgIMG_20211007_161805015.jpgIMG_20211007_161920853.jpgIMG_20211007_161954542.jpgIMG_20211007_161958136_MP.jpg

Anyway, here it is:

That is the oem weber drip pan. But you want to put one of those disposable aluminum pans inside of it before you use it.

They get bent and sometimes are sticky going in and out, but you can usually bend them back into shape so they slide fairly easy.

Back