New (to me) Genesis Silver B

I'd recommend cast iron for grates, but it's really a matter of personal preference. That being said, if you're going rcplanebuyer for flavorizers, then you should absolutely save up for the grates you want! Plus, if you have grates you can use right now, you can always get better grates later and just pop them in.

Slainte!

Tim

I'm in a similar canoe, need a few more parts, I will suffer with the worn grates for a short while before I finish fine tuning.
What I need is spring! Then I can tear things down and clean and repaint!

I can't wait to see the rebuild. I love my rehabbed Genesis Gold.

You will need to clean that firebox real good after using that PB Blaster to get the smell out.......Trust me, I know.

I do not have any grates at the moment unfortunately. The old ones were way far gone. I will pressure wash it to get as much out of the firebox as i can, then hit it with the grinder equipped with a wire brush. No real rust to speak of anywhere on the grill or frame, a quick scuff and spray and I will be in business

The Weber porcelain CI grates for the old Genesis grills are really quite good. I have a set on my old Genesis III and they perform very well and are holding up fantastic. Not too expensive either. There seems to be a lot of discussion though on which way is "up" for them. Truly the proper way is so the cross bars are not sticking up or in contact with the food. I don't recall if that means the "V" is up or down but it's whichever way the cross bar supports don't interfere. You are supposed to be able to use a spatula without lifting it from the grates all the way from front to back.

Weber says the correct way is fat side up. Initially, I had the cast iron grates fat side down, with the pointy parts where the food was cooking. I have since turned them over, and boy do you get some amazing grill lines. The fats and juices run down the V and I think that's why this is the orientation Weber recommends. Also, it's really easy to clean the fat side with a brush. My two cents!

I will look into those. My big green egg came with a porcelain enameled grate and it deteriorated beyond use within a year. I now have stainless steel grates and grid holders only for it. I guess if i get at least a few years out of them it would allow me to use the grill and save for the premium ones. I really like the idea of being able to turn on the grill and be cooking sooner and easier than the charcoal one. I use a weed burner torch to light that one now.

Cast Iron grates will outlast the grill. I think they should cost you around 70 bucks, and they are worth every penny. Heck, forgo steaks the first few weeks and grill some hot dogs on 'em!

A person at Weber gave their opinion. If that side up does not put an interference to a clear swipe from front to back of a spatula than sure that works. But I am sure they did not/do not intend for those cross bars to interfere in that. On the set I have I am not sure but I think the narrow side is up when used "correctly" because if I turn them over there is interference and the grates end up divided into 8 sections which (no matter how I feel about Weber as a company) I am sure is NOT the intent of how those grates should be used. Using them that way (I tried) frustrated me to no end, caused all kinds of issues trying to cook larger cuts, vegetables and so on. As a further testament to best use the cross section of the Wolf grates is diamond shaped. No matter how you flip them they are a pointy side. If Weber had properly designed them either side would work equally well because they would have made sure you didn't have the grates divided into 8 little zones. If you like them that way though.......................well good. Me? I don't want the grill divided like that and also for the record this is what was told to me by a Weber rep when I called with the same question and observation of these grates.

Well, here it is!
32552271471_fa531c5132.jpg

Last edited:
So I got #59 size orifices (which is supposed to be correct per several charts online for 12k BTU on propane) and a regulator and hose. Hooked it all up, there doesn't seem to be much difference (if any) at all between low and high on the settings. I adjusted the air damper on each burner tube all the way open and I still have orange in the flames. Any ideas?

Are those burner tubes new? If not, I'd clean the holes in the tubes.

Thousands of jokes, I know, but seriously: clean the tubes if they're dirty.

The orifices for NG are larger than for propane, so your situation doesn't make sense. Did you replace the manifold or just the orifices? Either way it doesn't make sense, because you need less propane volume than natural gas volume to produce equivalent BTU's.

I scrubbed the holes in the tubes with a wire brush to clear all the holes. They look good and uniform. I did not replace the entire manifold, just swapped for smaller orifices. Hooked up a standard lp gas regulator hose i got from menards.

The crossover tube is crusty and doesnt work on the back half. The ignitor is also inop.

The no difference between low/med was one of the "issues" I warned you about doing just an orifice swap. The slight orange in the flames is normal. Frankly I have never had to readjust the shutters after doing a conversion either way. Once the "amount" of gas is regulated properly the air fuel ratio is the same so just put the shutters back where they were. If you're having issues with that than your problem is somewhere else (dirty/clogged spider guards, burners still dirty most likely internally, etc.) BTW I spelled all this out for you on an earlier post. Re-read, follow instructions and you'll have a properly performing grill. BTW there is no way to get rid of orange in the flame entirely. If you keep the shutters open too much you'll find yourself with a VERY dangerous situation where the flames can go out unexpectedly on a burner, gas will build up under the hood and you can have a real fun time when you open the hood to check your food. So best advice. Put the shutters back to original setting and use the proper manifold and maintenance procedure on the burners and screens

A new manifold is well outside the budget for me on this with it needing grates and such. I have been searching craigslist and other sites looking for a donor grill with no luck. Ill likely just move on from this project unfortunately.

Have you exhausted EBay, and so on. I see these things all the time on the cheap. Do the job right on this grill and it will be a VERY long term investment. ONe which I dare say would outlast the new stuff coming from China that Weber is selling now. Plus it will be more versatile and outperform it too. You got a great cooking machine. It just needs to have the work done correctly. But I see your model and sub model of that grill around here with LP parts regularly under $50

I have been checking ebay, CL, facebook marketplace. I Have want ads on CL, alerts set for CL, and posts on 4 different forums i frequent. I will keep checking around.

I did find a genesis A for 25 bucks, but its a three hour drive one way.

Be patient, wait for the right parts to come to you! Grasshopper, the Weber life is about relaxation and gluttony not instant gratification and less than stellar grilled treats! Your patience will be rewarded.

Back