New Television

Probably a wise decision they will drop in price as the year goes on the new models always start high. But if you wait till November then you have the black friday deals. :)
need it for the Niners games and parties. we're still getting settled in the house so we don;t even have the 55' set up atm. likely will get connected this weekend.

new couch has been on order since early April. it's still a few weeks away now.

then have to build in the new LED fireplace and TV above that. that wall is still being designed in my head. i hope to have my plans by end of may/early june.

I think I can live with the C3 if the price is right would love the G3 if it comes down under 2k. The C4 will be on the radar also I am in no hurry since the wife sees nothing wrong with the Plasma. If Santa Claus was to drop a G4 for Christmas that would be fine of course that would never happen, my wife would think I am mental which of course she would be correct and that ain't gonna be from her that is for sure. :)

The Sony Bravia 7 will also be on the radar not an Oled but will consider it.

The C4 would be on my short list too, If brightness comes close to the Samsung.

Our Verdict​

LG C4 OLED

Samsung S90D/S90DD OLED
The Samsung S90D/S90DD OLED is mostly better than the LG C4 OLED. The Samsung gets brighter in HDR, so bright highlights stand out more on it, and it maintains its HDR brightness better while in 'Game Mode.' The Samsung TV also has a wider color gamut, better color volume, and better HDR gradient handling, so colors in HDR are more vibrant, lifelike, brighter, and have less banding. The Samsung has a wider viewing angle, and the image doesn't have a green tint that worsens as you move off-center, so it's the better choice for watching TV in a group setting. However, the LG supports Dolby Vision and DTS audio formats, so it's the better option for those looking to get the most out of their physical media.

i run a soundbar and my content runs through AppleTV as my UI (streaming services/internet) and i will be adding a new OTA play box, SiliconDust HDHomerun, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092GCN9NL?tag=tvwb-20

It was my understanding so far that ATSC 3.0 has been a bust long ways to go. Many issues with encryption and other things.
the locals are trying to influence DRM and enhance revenue lines. the majority of their income come from rebroadcast rights from cable carriers. they see that revenue line shrinking in the near future thus they are exerting power on recording and replay rights on ATSC 3.0. this will have to be sorted by the FCC and resolved.

personally, i just use my TV as a screen and my inputs are my sources. i can't stand these battles for content. probably why i only watch live tv sports these days. i just don't really care about much else that's on "tv."

haven't watched TV news in 9 years. haven't read a local newspaper in 15 years. haven't had cable tv since 2015. yet i'm still alive and doing just fine. clearly, life doesn't depend on having tv or not.

And you wonder why I do not have a TV any longer. To much mis information and just plain junk on TV.
Life is so much quiter now.

After looking at over 20 TV's at Costco, ranging from the $419 to $2400, we ended up going with the $419 one. Added on Costco's extended warranty for about $30 for a total of 6 years of repair/replacement. My thought is that the picture quality of almost any 4K TV now is "pretty good" enough for standard TV viewing. Unless I was outfitting a very high-end theater space or something I just don't think spending the $$ is worth it...8K TVs and even better right around the corner of being common and envy is guaranteed!!

Most people purchase a TV, bring it home and plug it in, and don't bother to actually "tune" the picture or sound quality anyways. Calibrating the picture for the room makes a huge difference on even the least expensive "decent" TV.

Should add - Costco I believe let's you purchase a TV, bring it home, and if you are not happy you can return it within 90 days....

Last edited:
After looking at over 20 TV's at Costco, ranging from the $419 to $2400, we ended up going with the $419 one. Added on Costco's extended warranty for about $30 for a total of 6 years of repair/replacement. My thought is that the picture quality of almost any 4K TV now is "pretty good" enough for standard TV viewing. Unless I was outfitting a very high-end theater space or something I just don't think spending the $$ is worth it...8K TVs and even better right around the corner of being common and envy is guaranteed!!

Most people purchase a TV, bring it home and plug it in, and don't bother to actually "tune" the picture or sound quality anyways. Calibrating the picture for the room makes a huge difference on even the least expensive "decent" TV.
I tend to agree. I think one hits a point of diminishing returns regarding picture quality. Plus, there are a few variables like ambient light, viewing distance, viewing angle, etc...to consider.
The 65" Hisense Roku TV I bought 5 years ago has an amazing picture...I think I paid $350 for it around Black Friday...and you do need to tweak picture settings to your liking. Sports, movies...gaming is something different that we don't do.

Back