New smoker/Thank you

Zac_Callier

TVWBB Fan
All you virtual weber bullet people,

Just gotta say thanks a million, all the recipes/pictures/advice is just unreal. Got a brand new wsm 18.5, quite the upgrade from the ECB, I am elated, def wouldn't have gotten it if it hadn't been for all of the advice on this forum and tvwb site in general. As a KC born boy transplanted to Orlando, I sure missed having bbq on a biweekly or at the very least monthly occasion, but never again...! Granted getting pre-smoked/seasoned ribs from KC Steaks was pretty good, but nothing like making your own.

On a usage note, I fired my wsm up a couple times so far, I put an oven thermometer I have on both racks, and each time it was either right on w/the lid temp, maybe a bit hotter on the lower rack but nothing crazy. Does this change as time goes on and the smoker seasons more? Didn't put any water in the pan...not sure if that'd make a big difference...

Thanks again,

Zac

I usually use water in the pan when I'm doing anything low and slow. A lot of guys leave the pan empty. Some prefer the clay saucer. I don't think any one way is better than the other. Its just a matter of personal preference. Once you use the cooker a few times you'll find what works for you. Like I said, I use water because it works for me. But you may find that something different works for you. Thats the fun of this whole thing - the experimentation. And of course the good eats.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Odd as this may seem, the top grate on your WSM may actually test a few degrees hotter than the bottom rack. With that being said, there is often discussion that the dome thermometer reads higher than the grate temps. This may certainly be the case.
Competition cooks often select larger butts for the top rack and smaller for the bottom so they come out about the same on cook times. But don't sweat the small stuff since 10-15* difference is no biggie.
I have noticed my newest WSM getting more stable from rack to rack as it seasons in. Less air leaks help stabilize things. Another issue is that newbie WSM cookers are real concerned over a few degrees, when in fact, it is less important than you think. Remember...it's done when it's done and that time varies with many factors.

Zac, welcome to the show. I'm new to the WSM but we have a couple of parallels. I started with an ECB and I moved down here from Arnold, Mo., just south of St. Louis.

I tried cooking without water and used a clay saucer for my first few cooks on the WSM. I have gone back to water until I get more experience.

Thanks guys, certainly appreciate the responses. Did a pork butt for father's day, turned out pretty **** good, ran it at ab 255 for 10 hrs before the sucker got done. Rested 35 mins, pulled easily, everyone ransacked it and took most of my leftovers...at least it was good while it lasted!

IMG00105-20110619-1030.jpg

that was the butt ab 4 hrs into the smoke. i lovvvvve bbq

Back