New Searwood pic.

To Paul and you as well Lew. The LAST thing I ever intended was no respect and I am actually a bit PO'd it was taken in that way. It was a QUESTION pure and simple as I did not know. No disrespect was ever meant or intended so IDK why shade has to be thrown on me!
I'm through with this.

I have high respect for all the folks commenting on the post in question but I know how it can feel to be misunderstood, so I just want to say that it didn't feel to me that Larry intended any disrespect.

I am looking forward to the Searwood launch! But hopefully not enough to buy one.

I hope everyone is doing well :)

Last edited:
So go buy a Smokefire. What does “up to date” even mean? It’s not old and has been upgraded since it was releases, Stealth isn’t just branding, it’s got internal upgrades and external changes.

You’re being overly harsh, my opinion, but Smokefire is about as plug and play as anything else out there. They’re pellet grills, that’s what they do.
Sorry didn't intend to upset existing SmokeFire owners, and thanks to those who have posted about the Stealth model etc.

Although the Searwood is cheaper than existing, and looks like an 'Essentials' model, it still appears to have 'drastic' changes to it, which suggests the original but improved SmokeFire's are flawed in design? I thought I had an idea in my mind where I was with a pellet grill, but the Searwood design, seems to have put me back to my starting point again.

I've not made my mind up on what pellet grill to go for, I had put my bets on the SearWood, but thats a non starter by the looks of things. I'm not going to import a Searwood, as it would be a loser in terms of warranty and the electrical specification aspect.

IDK I would look at the Searwood as so drastic a departure from their "formula". I think it's kinda more like a "refinement". I am sure thanks to early adopters, (some of them reporting right here) on the SF, that Weber put a lot of thought into this one. Also it's not a huge departure from their "comfort zone" now. They have a lot of time and practice under their belt. Yeah, it's a bit of a change from the original vision but like anything else the vision can be improved upon.
I personally would not be afraid of this grill one bit. Because of that refinement. And especially given what I've learned about the "breed" (pellet grills). Looks to me Weber took the best of what they learned from the SF and from other pellet grills and refined it into this.
Not in the market myself now, but if I were this one (other than the lack of casters) would not scare me off one little bit.
Though I guess your circumstances are a lot different what with having to "import" it, likely killing off warranty as your "just in case". So, I get that viewpoint as well.
But, it was Lew IIRC who indicated he was told by Weber the Searwood would be going there. Perhaps right now it's more an issue of logistics over there in the UK? Maybe lots of SF stock on hand. And the need to get stock down, to make it more economically feasible to introduce the new model. If when they do, I would not be afraid to buy it. Honestly it looks like a solid refinement

Sorry didn't intend to upset existing SmokeFire owners, and thanks to those who have posted about the Stealth model etc.

Although the Searwood is cheaper than existing, and looks like an 'Essentials' model, it still appears to have 'drastic' changes to it, which suggests the original but improved SmokeFire's are flawed in design? I thought I had an idea in my mind where I was with a pellet grill, but the Searwood design, seems to have put me back to my starting point again.

I've not made my mind up on what pellet grill to go for, I had put my bets on the SearWood, but thats a non starter by the looks of things. I'm not going to import a Searwood, as it would be a loser in terms of warranty and the electrical specification aspect.
Paul, good luck with your research. I was at this point a few years ago and there are several important considerations.

Firstly, i would consider how you intend to use the pellet grill, will it be your main grill needing to cover low/slow, grilling etc or just regular smoking? Size is a factor too!

Pellet grill pros: Plug and play (ish) so needs less attention than most grill types. Outputs good regular smoked food, The smell, i love the smell!

Cons: Expensive (especially in UK), needs power supply, things can go wrong as there are moving parts, if in UK one resides in a regular terrace/semi type house ( the neighbors are v close) the smoke may cause the neighbors to become less friendly!!

I started my pellet journey with a Recteq 590 which i imported from USA (controversial!!), i liked the Recteq and the buying decision was based on the price, uber amount of SS in construction, customer service but ultimately the handles!!. After 1 year the control panel failed and to be fair Recteq sent FOC a replacement and provided long distance support.

Grill 2 was the Weber Smokefire Stealth (smaller one) which i had for a while and loved the versatility but had been tainted by the previous bad press. It always looked like Weber was putting lipstick on a pig. If i was you right now i would not consider the Smokefire in the UK probably based on price alone.

Grill 3 is (i still have) Traeger Ranger which is the smaller "portable" grill which i picked up on a crazy black friday deal a couple of years ago. Firstly, the grill is not portable in the truest sense unless you are a power lifter on steroids and it has no handles. That aside, i find this type grill fits into my arsenal rather well as it takes up little room but internally offers a workable amount of space.

In summary, a few points in no particular order.

1, How will you use your grill? Just smoking? For how many?
2, Budget
3, Length of warranty
4, Use reviews
5, Location of dealer (i think having a local dealer is of benefit with this purchase)

As far as brand, i think reviews are key here but the UK is not blessed with all the USA options so Traeger i assume will be on your list. The GMG have always caught my eye based on price, the low 12v power requirements and the fact they want to stuff a rotisserie in all of their grills.

If i was buying right now id probably splurge on the Searwood ( i live in USA right now) because its Weber (obviously) and i remain intrigued with their journey in the pellet space. There are some battery powered options (pit boss portable looks decent) if thats of benefit.

Hopefully my musings have been of some help and feel free to message if you need any further advice. One final note, thank the good lord your not thinking of importing from USA, thats just dumb right??

ps love to all (especially Lew and including Larry);)

IIRC, Weber has manufacturing in Poland for EU products and warehousing.
The Smokefire was assembled in the US and according to this chart the Searwood will be also. So I would guess for the UK which is why they are probably more expensive they would be assembled in the US with the appropriate power supply and whatever then shipped over there in bulk I assume to various parts of Europe or whatever.

If I remember they manufacture kettles and q's in the Poland plant maybe other stuff now and as you said do some warehousing also.

In summary, a few points in no particular order.

1, How will you use your grill? Just smoking? For how many?
2, Budget
3, Length of warranty
4, Use reviews
5, Location of dealer (i think having a local dealer is of benefit with this purchase)
Thanks. I've a couple of Weber Kettles, different eras (just can't seem to part with them and a SM. But I've reached an age and time when I can't be a***d with tending them, hence my desire for a all in one device I can grill, sear smoke etc. I was hoping the Searwood would of been the latest of Weber products I could of bought into, but alas this seems not the case. Bit much I always buy Ford's & Sony's products, seems I need to look further afield. I was looking at a Broil King pellet grill this morning, which offered a rotisserie, but then saw it didn't have WIFI capability, damn it.

Still gives me something to peruse, when I wake up in the small hours. Getting old is s**t. Excuse my profanities.

Those schematics are really cool to see. It looks like between the 2 deflectors, they allow for more "open" cooking yet are still able to control where grease goes and where ashes end up so the 2 are not mixed up.

Schematics

Just seems a strange decision not to supply the crafted frame even though they're supplying the grates. Surely people buying the accessories (frame needed for most) would mean more revenue and people more likely to buy them if they'd supplied it with the frame at point of purchase. Rather than people having to fork out to buy it seperately as well as the accessories?

Found this video with the rotisserie in place this is the Spirit sized equivalent for this particular Searwood, but looks a different connection plate for the motor on the Searwood compared to the current Spirit one. Same with the Genesis. Will the rotisserie come with 2 connection plates if so so you can use it on both Genesis/Spirit depending on Searwood size if you own both? or be sold seperately with the different plates?

I have my connection plate and motor set up on the right on my Genesis due to side burner on the left, but due to the pellet hopper on the right needs to be set up on the left with the Searwood also

Just seems a strange decision not to supply the crafted frame even though they're supplying the grates. Surely people buying the accessories (frame needed for most) would mean more revenue and people more likely to buy them if they'd supplied it with the frame at point of purchase. Rather than people having to fork out to buy it seperately as well as the accessories?

Found this video with the rotisserie in place this is the Spirit sized equivalent for this particular Searwood, but looks a different connection plate for the motor on the Searwood compared to the current Spirit one. Same with the Genesis. Will the rotisserie come with 2 connection plates if so so you can use it on both Genesis/Spirit depending on Searwood size if you own both? or be sold seperately with the different plates?

I have my connection plate and motor set up on the right on my Genesis due to side burner on the left, but due to the pellet hopper on the right needs to be set up on the left with the Searwood also
Great video (im too old for Tik Tok) i guess the lack of crafted frame is purely down to cost but agreed its not grate! However, the prices of the grills are very reasonable imo, i will get the smaller variant and all my grates from the silver B's and older genesis grills will fit. I had assumed that the current Weber Spirit 300 size rotisserie would be compatible so will look further into that.

The lack of 4 decent castors is again a cost cutter as the one on the stealth were actually v good. The 2 large wheels and 2 dead legs is not great but would'nt bother me as mine would be stationary mostly. More importantly, the scarf the dude is wearing is a must!!

chucksflavortrain is awesome!

Why not wait I think Lew has indicated it will eventually be sold in Australia I think, so my guess in Europe also. Waiting 4 or 5 mos or whatever to see the reviews might be a plus. Will help you make a better decision and their might be more clarity when its coming your way which I firmly believe it will. They will be down to 2 models on the Searwood at least in the US so I can't imagine them offering any more than those 2 models around the world it just would not make sense to me.

I noticed today (an apologies if this has already been said) that it says Last Chance next to the Smokefire on Weber.com.

Back