New Q2200 owner with Griddle question

Ian-Kentucky

TVWBB Member
Hi guys. This grill newbie just picked up a Q2200. Burgers, brats, hot dogs, no issues. Works great. When I put a griddle on it, it won't seem to keep it hot enough. I preheat it and get a good sizzle when the bacon goes on, but then it seems to lose temperature. I started out with an aluminum "The Rock" griddle which warped up and I assumed that the aluminum just wouldn't retain the heat. I switched to a Lodge CI griddle, but am experiencing the same thing minus the warping. I am wondering if it sitting on top of the existing grates would be an issue rather than the made-to-fit griddles that sit lower in the grill.

What say the breakfast crowd out there?

thanks,
Ian

My guess is that you are using it with the lid open and the grill is just not able to keep enough heat under it to keep the griddle hot. You could try putting some aluminum foil over the open part of the grates. Just don't cover it completely or you might over heat the grill.

After doing some more research, I think you're right. That, along with the griddle being on top of the existing grates, it can't keep up. I'll experiment some more. One youtuber was saying that the made-to-fit griddle ran hot, which is the opposite of my (very limited) experience.

thanks for the reply,
Ian

After doing some more research, I think you're right. That, along with the griddle being on top of the existing grates, it can't keep up. I'll experiment some more. One youtuber was saying that the made-to-fit griddle ran hot, which is the opposite of my (very limited) experience.

thanks for the reply,
Ian
I had tried different griddle stuff on my Q320 and finally purchased a cast iron griddle made for the 320 which made all the difference in the world. The Q's can not heat the cast iron grate with more cast iron on top. In fact most grills can not do that well if you want high temps. With the regular Weber Genesis or Spirits I recommend people take off the flavorizer bars to save gas and heat up the griddles faster. This is what I would recommend for you and it is only $27. If you think you want more space buy 2.
718olf0akJL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I think it would be fine. Each one has 3 vent holes, the lid has 2 side vents, after they get to temp you start cooking and most griddling requires a lot of food interaction with the lid up. Plus you can always turn the burner down. When ever I use the griddle I have the IR thermometer close by but mainly to know if it is hot enough.

What I ended up ordering is a Campaquip full size griddle, and an IR thermometer to monitor temps to make sure I don't overheat the grill. I'll be preheating low and easing the throttle up slowly to find the setting that is enough but not too much. If it retains heat like I have read, I should save gas too.

Griddle.jpg

Go to amazon and search for "campaquip". It's not cheap, but not as expensive as 2 of weber's. It's an Australian product, but ships from Pennsylvania. This is their .au site. https://www.campaquip.com.au/

I will add a warning to be careful with it. Monitor your temps closely with some kind of thermometer till you figure it out.

I'm thinking, which heats up faster, cast aluminum or cast iron? Seems like the grill should be cast iron and the griddle cast aluminum!

I'm thinking, which heats up faster, cast aluminum or cast iron? Seems like the grill should be cast iron and the griddle cast aluminum!
If the Q were cast iron it would be too heavy to be a portable, and would rust out as you could not paint or keep the inside oiled well. But so many people like the Grillgrates because they are aluminum, they don't rust and heat up super fast.

I think every casting, nut, bolt and clip on these grills should be 306 Stainless. Best of both worlds.
t0sG1c6.jpg

If the Q were cast iron it would be too heavy to be a portable, and would rust out as you could not paint or keep the inside oiled well. But so many people like the Grillgrates because they are aluminum, they don't rust and heat up super fast.
Yeah, I love my GGs! Not practical for a Q, though, I don't think...take up too much room vertically. Here's a pic of three Gen1/2/3/4 panels on a Q200 I used to have. I never got around to using them on this Q because I sold it and downsized to a Q120.

20200910_122120.jpg

If the Q were cast iron it would be too heavy to be a portable, and would rust out as you could not paint or keep the inside oiled well.
Yeah, it weighs 42.5# as it is, and the CI griddle adds another 20. A review I was reading last night on the best portable grills for 2021 was complaining about the portability of a 40# grill...I agree, if it were cast iron it would not be portable at all.

But there are cast iron stoves and ovens and pot-belly stoves that are are decades old or more with little or no upkeep other than a coat of paint so rust is not a big issue. Of course, you wouldn't want to eat your dinner off of it.

But there are cast iron stoves and ovens and pot-belly stoves that are are decades old or more with little or no upkeep other than a coat of paint so rust is not a big issue. Of course, you wouldn't want to eat your dinner off of it.
They don't sit outside in the rain with food residue all over them. If they did they would be a rusty mess.

They don't sit outside in the rain with food residue all over them. If they did they would be a rusty mess.
There are people that love their cast iron, Joe. They will scoop that rusty mess up and lovingly clean it and seaon it and make it useful again.

There are people that love their cast iron, Joe. They will scoop that rusty mess up and lovingly clean it and seaon it and make it useful again.
I get that. But I was responding to your statement: "But there are cast iron stoves and ovens and pot-belly stoves that are are decades old or more with little or no upkeep other than a coat of paint so rust is not a big issue." Those stoves and ovens are made for inside the house, grills are made for outside the house. I believe that portability and rust are are why aluminum and not cast iron for grills.

Is your WeberQ 2200 bought new, if not, what's the condition of your unit, i.e., burner tubes, hoses, etc.?? How about posting some photos of your WeberQ?

Last edited:

Back